Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product. You can't tell me that Apple hasn't made a conscious decision to let this product die. Apple is such a large company and they can't update the Mac Pro to current industry specs for over two years? Something doesn't sound right...

Apple's flagship product is the iPhone... and it has been that way for some time now.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It looks like Apple is planning to compete with Coby on the low end consumer electronics market (nothing wrong with that).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Funny that they still use Premiere or Avid on Mac boxes though. Not to mention, FCPX is Apple's best selling NLE to date as far as I know. So they didn't withdraw from anything. They just lost some users and gained tons more. And all of those new users are benefitting from the core count of MP's. I don't think you understand how annoying it'd be to edit native RED on a MacBook Air. iMacs are quite fast yeah, but still they don't beat a 12 Core MP and they don't have PCI-e benefits which NLE users love. Even if you have a few person NLE team working on a small project, you'd still benefit from having MP's.

Yes, I understand all that. Sorry. But the new FCPX users don't need a $4000 MP... I'm using it on a iMac! (BTW take a look at benchmarks that show the high end iMac beats the low end MPs).

But true, honest pros, not wannabes making corporate and wedding videos, using Avid and Premiere don't NEED a Mac, even if they prefer it. A PC or Avid workstation will do fine, if not better right now. That is my point. Not too many bona fide pros use FCPX.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
EU/Govt Regulations

"It is currently unclear exactly what aspect of the regulation the current Mac Pro will fail to meet."

I think the referring regulation is EU-GOV/134.B.III, Section BR10289.44, (Sub0089C4), page 12,678 through page 56,234. Please place close attention to footnotes; {2,384-3,509 } and footnotes {5,0234 - 5,902}. These regulations are written in high-level government bureaucratize (gibberish) so please have the appropriate EU/government interpreters available.

[sarcasm]

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
it's really about time for a major MacPro update as well as the Cinema Displays.
Some love for the professional folks would be really appreciated Mr. Cook. ;)

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I have a bit of inside information regarding the new Mac Pro.

They are waiting to finish developing a special version of IOS for it. They are also having trouble with the new "Ultragloss mirror" touch screen technology.

The new (renamed) iMac Pro will come in a 9 and 14 inch format. ATT, Verison, Sprint and other cell phone companies will offer the phone at a reduced price, if you purchase a 10 year contract.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
So this regulation is about fan blades turning off when the computer is opened?

What kind of idiot opens a computer when it's on? If you do that, you deserve to lose your fingers. Another regulation protecting the brain dead.

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
My company spent our June 2012 (MP-that-never-was) money on SCREAMING 32-AMD-core/64BDDR3 Linux workstations.......with funds to spare.

The new Mac Pro refresh had better be nothing short of spectacular..... :/

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
My company spent our June 2012 (MP-that-never-was) money on SCREAMING 32-AMD-core/64BDDR3 Linux workstations.......with funds to spare.

The new Mac Pro refresh had better be nothing short of spectacular..... :/

Congratulations for not choosing Windows 8.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Yes, I understand all that. Sorry. But the new FCPX users don't need a $4000 MP... I'm using it on a iMac! (BTW take a look at benchmarks that show the high end iMac beats the low end MPs).

But true, honest pros, not wannabes making corporate and wedding videos, using Avid and Premiere don't NEED a Mac, even if they prefer it. A PC or Avid workstation will do fine, if not better right now. That is my point. Not too many bona fide pros use FCPX.

That's a bogus analysis and you're only proving how unprofessional you yourself are. The market that was called 'pro' ten years ago is rapidly morphing into the market that was called 'prosumer' in the past. There is no longer the divide as independents are beginning to produce content on par with so-called "pros". You're out of the loop.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
So this regulation is about fan blades turning off when the computer is opened?

What kind of idiot opens a computer when it's on? If you do that, you deserve to lose your fingers. Another regulation protecting the brain dead.

PC techies have been doing it for years and never hurt themselves. The Mac Pro fans don't even spin that fast anyway. It's under 1000rpm. Same for most modern PC's or those that have them rigged up to fan controllers.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

I'm pretty certain that many of those honest pros are gonna switch back to FCPX soon enough if not already. Apple is putting the effort into the product like they haven't before. They updated it 4 times in 1.5 years. How many times were they updating FCS before that? Once every 2 years. The holes everyone complained are getting plugged one by one. And for many FCP users, FCPX today is the best FC there ever was.

Btw, your condescending tone would actually hurt if there was someone around here who worked with FCPX and did do a oscar winning documentary. Not everyone who doesn't need AVID is a wedding videographer.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
I'd say not since the G4/G5's really, the MacPro has staggered since the intel transition in my opinion.

And the power users in the creativity realm have not really been getting the love, FCPX (which is really more FCeXpress, if you ask me.)

I don't know much about professional video editing, but this guy does:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/2129

He seems to think that Apple is doing a pretty good job with FCPX.

I agree that Apple has been ignoring the Mac Pro, but it seems that a new Mac Pro (or replacement) will be coming out this year. I would think the Apple Developers Conference would be a great time to announce or debut it.

I wish Apple would get moving on bringing this to market or simply tell us that they have changed their mind and will be discontinuing it.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Not that anyone in their right mind would be buying this now anyway...

This. Mac Pro is a very expensive machine, it's an investment. Hence, everyone willing to buy a Mac Pro can wait a bit more for the newer model. The current one would not sell anymore. No real harm is done (given that Apple will hold their promise for a newer model within 2013).

The Mac Pro hasn't been Apple's "Flagship Product" for a long long time, unfortunately :(

I guess "Flagship" from a technical point of view, not a market's one. From that point, Mac Pro is the most powerful machine in Apple's line (at least the most suitable machine for high-performance professional use). Mind, also, the only really upgradeable Mac.

Last edited:

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I'm still a little surprised that when they did the last "upgrade"
Thats because the last update they did was only a CPU one.

Apple had prior to that been using old revisions of processors - which Intel had replaced over a year earlier (so yeah, at one point the MP was both one generation and one revision behind). These processors were/are sold from Intel at the exact same price as the inferior ones Apple were using.

Chances are the upgrade was forced by Intel - because they no longer wanted to maintain the obsolete processor SKUs.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
For a computer that apple thinks doesn't have a big following there sure are a lot of replies to this article in a very short time frame.

As far as I am concerned apple cut its teeth on the pro line of systems. Its the pro community that kept apple afloat in the dark days and now apple turns its back on us.

All the itoys are fun but thats all they are. The iMac is just an overpowered laptop, Oh I'm sorry I almost forgot it is ultra thin, Thats exactly what I need to get my job done. We need a real computer and hence the Mac Pro.

For every one Mac Pro sold apple needs to sell 10-15 itoys, to make the same money.

Theres always enough room for jello. And there is definitely room in the mac line up for the Mac Pro. I don't know what the debate is?

People need to stop concerning them self's with apple profits, and be more concerned about what products they need.

We have waited long enough and patiently enough apple please give us our new Mac Pro.

Sorry about the rant.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
What kind of idiot opens a computer when it's on?

Wait, you don't really mean that, do you?

Diagnostic LEDs -- for example? I can't see through aluminum, and I don't think you can either.

I've worked on plenty of powered-up computers, and seen plenty of well-trained techs do the same (for example, techs from the late great Digital Equipment Corporation). It was a DEC engineer who taught me to use a cable tie to test whether a hidden fan was spinning or not.

Because everybody's guessing, my guess is that it has to do with properly isolating/insulating AC. I've been into tons of boxes (typically not computers) with interlocks that break the AC connection when the box is opened, and of course the Mac Pro doesn't have anything like that.

This (positive interlock) was especially common on old tube TVs (yeah, I'm not young . . . I disassembled my first TV back in the 1950s), even though the charge in their capacitors could easily kill you.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
With any luck, there will be a massively upgraded, new Mac Pro soon and it will be in a 4U mountable case, making it a much delayed replacement for Xserve.

Now, because I actually believe this, I think I will go out in my back yard and look for bigfoot and magical unicorns.

I will join you in your backyard search! lol

I am also hoping for a MP that can be mounted in a server rack or used as a traditional tower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.