Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I bought a MBP15 with retina last year at launch and I am beginning to regret that decision. This might possibly be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life.

I think a tablet and a desktop is a much more potent combination and much cheaper. The other day I was traveling and I brought my laptop with me. Everyone was enjoying their tablets/smartphones and I was the only one with a huge brick. I felt so embarrassed. Everyone was so mobile and they could easily flash their tablets/smartphone anytime anywhere. I had to lug this thing around for the whole day cause I couldn't leave a 2.2k device at the hotel.

I bought this thing cause my mindset was so stuck in the 90ies and early 2000 when laptops actually were decent. But nowadays a tablet does everything better and at home a 27" monitor plus decent keyboard/mouse is more productive.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Not the drugs, not the alcohol, not the school you chose, not the career.

Its this damn retina computer. THIS is the WORST mistake of your ENTIRE life.

Do you live in a box?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
And I gotta wonder... couldn't you just take out your own smartphone and use that instead?

It sounds to me like your MBP was the only thing that you had. That's... not right, is it?

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I would think drafting this topic would be more embarrassing than pulling out a retina MacBook amongst mobile users. But that's just me.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I disagree with this entirely. I see a future where tablets do become the main computing device for the majority of users, but that time isn't now, and outside of a few applications, tablets are still mainly media consumption. The only people that I know that can get by entirely on tablets are those that have the absolute lightest computing needs, and the web browsing experience is still inferior compared to standards computers (I'm using iOS as an example, I don't know if Android allows robust ad blocking on their platform).

If you think tablets can do everything better than your rMBP, the rMBP was clearly the wrong computer for you and you aren't utilizing its potential at all.

I also think it's foolish to base your decisions on others, but that's just me.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Also obvious troll is obvious.

Why are all samsung products made from cheap plastic? I mean I like their specs and prices and android is a capable OS. But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass.

I already know what the next ipad mini is going be and when its going to be released.

Its going to be have a retina display and a6 cpu. Same price, release date somewhere in september. I will be buying one then cause the current ipad mini is so flawed.

looking for attention i suppose.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Also obvious troll is obvious.

looking for attention i suppose.

Nothing you just posted there contradicts me. In fact it confirms why I think the retina MBP15 might be a huge mistake. Facts about me

1) i prefer android over ios
2) i prefer premium materials over plastic hence why i am here
3) ipad mini retina is the ultimate device for me
4) smartphoneless at the moment and interested in either the i5, ipad mini or android device.
5) i go naked with all my device cause i love design and premium materials and the feel of it

I AM NICHE OK????! How does that make me a troll? Care to dig more dirt from the past?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
If that's the case, I'm baffled why you can afford a $2000 laptop, but can't shell out $600 for an off-contract world-ready unlocked iPhone 5.

I'd think the majority of rMBP owners already own a smartphone of some sort... if not an iPhone.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Written by surjavarman on another thread:

Apple has officially gone downhill
Thats it. Apple has officially gone downhill.

Take away the hi-res display of the rmbp13 and you got something that more expensive, larger, heavier and less performance than the MBA13 (rmbp15 is already struggling at times). How is this a good product?

Then the ipad mini. Are you kidding me? You need to sandpaper your fingers to use that thing. Its doa, more expensive than the nexus 7 and with less specs.

Apple are really trying to extract as much $$ from their customers as people while they still popular. What happened to Steve Jobs philosophy.

Why in the world you bought a 15" rMBP??? lol

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
1. You post outrageous things. That makes you a troll. You are upset about your retina, but stating it is the worst mistake of your life is taking it a bit too far.
2. Asking for a cheap android tablet and asking why its made out of plastic instead of diamond/titanium is trolling.

I can make lists too :rolleyes:. I will not feed you anymore.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
If that's the case, I'm baffled why you can afford a $2000 laptop, but can't shell out $600 for an off-contract world-ready unlocked iPhone 5.

I'd think the majority of rMBP owners already own a smartphone of some sort... if not an iPhone.

I am in the market for a new smartphone right now. I am just having a tough time to decide. I am broke but that doesn't that I can't buy something thats 2k if I think its worth it. It doesn't mean I am just going to splash out $700 for a smartphone I am not 100% convinced.

I just wanted to make a statement that I think the retina MBP15 is not worth the money and I can't imagine that many situations where it would have a tablet+desktop crushed. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same and what I can do about it.

I feel a bit bad I am just looking for a bit of support. Why is it necessary to bring up old posts? Which I can btw perfectly explain and doesn't contradict anything I have said.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Nothing you just posted there contradicts me. In fact it confirms why I think the retina MBP15 might be a huge mistake. Facts about me

1) i prefer android over ios
2) i prefer premium materials over plastic hence why i am here
3) ipad mini retina is the ultimate device for me
4) smartphoneless at the moment and interested in either the i5, ipad mini or android device.
5) i go naked with all my device cause i love design and premium materials and the feel of it

I AM NICHE OK????! How does that make me a troll? Care to dig more dirt from the past?

Why on earth did you buy the rMBP anyway?! You should've gone with MBA11" if a laptop at all?

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
If it isn't too late return the MacBook. Or if it is sell it before you lose any more resale value.

If your ideal device is the Retina iPad Mini you probably don't have much longer to wait. Maybe you can tide yourself over with a Nexus 7. Only $199 and it's a decent tablet especially if you prefer Android.

If you're here to post that a rMBP is a waste of money don't expect much sympathy (or help even), for obvious reasons.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Not the drugs, not the alcohol, not the school you chose, not the career.

Its this damn retina computer. THIS is the WORST mistake of your ENTIRE life.

Do you live in a box?

Perhaps he hasn't made many regrettable decisions:D.

2) i prefer premium materials

The idea of premium materials here is a fallacy. It says more to me about the mentality of the owners than the quality of the device. You said you felt embarrassed taking along a notebook while traveling. It sounds like you misinterpreted what you needed to do there. If you didn't need the capability provided by a notebook over your phone or a tablet, I can understand the buyer's remorse. It's a matter of what is needed while away. I'm not aware of any way to download CF cards on an ipad, so I'd still need the notebook in many cases.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
I wish the worst decision of my list was a 1000 dollar mistake.

I bought a MBP15 with retina last year at launch and I am beginning to regret that decision. This might possibly be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life.

I think a tablet and a desktop is a much more potent combination and much cheaper. The other day I was traveling and I brought my laptop with me. Everyone was enjoying their tablets/smartphones and I was the only one with a huge brick. I felt so embarrassed. Everyone was so mobile and they could easily flash their tablets/smartphone anytime anywhere. I had to lug this thing around for the whole day cause I couldn't leave a 2.2k device at the hotel.

I bought this thing cause my mindset was so stuck in the 90ies and early 2000 when laptops actually were decent. But nowadays a tablet does everything better and at home a 27" monitor plus decent keyboard/mouse is more productive.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
If buying a laptop is really the "worst mistake of your "life"" then you must have an amazing, simplistic, money infused life.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
So sell it.. use the proceeds towards an iPad/mini/iPhone and a Lenovo ThinkPad [ X, T or W series ] and call it a day!

If you prefer Android, the Note 2 and/or the GS3 are functionally awesome...It's a phone that will get replaced in what... 2 yrs at most ? The build quality of Note 2 and GS 3 isn't at par with the iPhone 4/4S..Iphone 5 is blah.. Either way, it won't break on ya!!

Done! :)

How you concluded buying a gadget was the worst mistake of your life eludes me!

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I am in the market for a new smartphone right now. I am just having a tough time to decide. I am broke but that doesn't that I can't buy something thats 2k if I think its worth it. It doesn't mean I am just going to splash out $700 for a smartphone I am not 100% convinced.

I just wanted to make a statement that I think the retina MBP15 is not worth the money and I can't imagine that many situations where it would have a tablet+desktop crushed. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same and what I can do about it.

I feel a bit bad I am just looking for a bit of support. Why is it necessary to bring up old posts? Which I can btw perfectly explain and doesn't contradict anything I have said.

It doesn't have to be a brand new smartphone. Many MBP owners still have their old phones. I still have my old iPhone 4, for instance. It strikes me as weird that you don't have anything but a MacBook.

And if you knew the MacBook Pro wasn't for you, you could have gone with an iPad + desktop setup before you made the purchase. Or do you usually splurge on 2K purchases without even thinking about it?

That being the case, why... hesitate about a $700 purchase? I'm still baffled.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're not happy with it, then sell it, buy a tablet and desktop.

Personally, I love my rMBP its a great computer and I have no buyers remorse. Everyone is different and if the laptop isn't suiting your needs, fix the situation, i.e., sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.