Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
But iCloud has that annoyance where the badge for new email on one device doesn't go away until you open the app (the app only updates when new mail comes in or you open the app).

Tell me about but it seems i have no other choice.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
As much as people would love to think this is a deliberate dig at Apple, the more likely explanation is that there just isn't a GMail app available for Windows Phone yet, so Google is extending the cut off date while they look into that.

Google is out of their mind if they think I'm going to stick with their email services if they force me to use their crappy app. Plus, I have OTHER email accounts that aren't gmail and they all integrate nicely into the iOS Mail app.

So they're forcing me to use two apps? Yea, not gonna work.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Google is out of their mind if they think I'm going to stick with their email services if they force me to use their crappy app. Plus, I have OTHER email accounts that aren't gmail and they all integrate nicely into the iOS Mail app.

So they're forcing me to use two apps? Yea, not gonna work.
You can still use their service using IMAP rather than Exchange...no push being the main difference.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
So clearly it's just a pissing contest between Google and Apple.

I would much rather move to iCloud and pay per year than not have push email on my phone.

Moving now may be a bit premature, although I guess it may be better to move now rather than later.

Push still works with accounts set up using activesync, they're apparently just turning off this feature for new users. So as long as your phone still works and you keep using it, you should be fine!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
You can still use their service using IMAP rather than Exchange...no push being the main difference.

I consider that a big difference.

Push, when setup effectively, is more efficient than Fetch. And I like getting emails right away rather than 15 minutes or an hour late.

Not to mention, the functionality is there, Google is being a PITA about it.

----------

Moving now may be a bit premature, although I guess it may be better to move now rather than later.

Push still works with accounts set up using activesync, they're apparently just turning off this feature for new users. So as long as your phone still works and you keep using it, you should be fine!

I'll continue using Google as long as my account works as Push on my iOS devices.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Push, when setup effectively, is more efficient than Fetch. And I like getting emails right away rather than 15 minutes or an hour late.

----------

I'll continue using Google as long as my account works as Push on my iOS devices.

Same here. I can afford to move to iCloud if necessary but I'd rather not pay for a service I'm getting free today, which I would have to do as I have no iCloud storage left. Also have however many years gmail has been around for's worth of emails in my gmail account!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Same here. I can afford to move to iCloud if necessary but I'd rather not pay for a service I'm getting free today, which I would have to do as I have no iCloud storage left. Also have however many years gmail has been around for's worth of emails in my gmail account!

Agreed, I'll move to iCloud in a heartbeat.

According to this article the issue is between MS and Google.

I don't know how this works in the background, but if active sync is something google gets from MS that runs on their server, it makes sense then.

Interesting to know.

Either way, why is it now an issue with MS after all these years? Smells funny.

If Apple can offer push email, Google surely can, or are they incompetent?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
If Apple can offer push email, Google surely can, or are they incompetent?

Agreed, I wonder how Apple supports it, if it's their own standard or if they use MS.

It would be nice if there (maybe there is) is an open source type of exchange server to do this.

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
How about this scenario:

I upgrade my 4S to the iPhone 5 and set my gmail account under exchange but only fetch hourly, will active sync still work?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Agreed, I wonder how Apple supports it, if it's their own standard or if they use MS.

It would be nice if there (maybe there is) is an open source type of exchange server to do this.

Apple and MS work well behind the scenes together more so than anyone would think, but Push surely isn't an exchange only function.

I think Google is conveniently using it as a means of forcing users to use it's app.

Comcast does the same thing, except they only support POP and not even IMAP (pathetic!), so it's way worse ... unless you use their app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Agreed, push is a fairly big difference. I was just saying that you can still use Gmail as part of unified mailbox using Apple's Mail application and all that, mainly it's just push that wouldn't be there.

As a bit of a workaround, you can have Gmail setup as IMAP and also have the Gmail app installed and configured to simply give you notifications (which are actually push) and then simply check the mail using the Mail app as usual. It's definitely not the same thing, and still isn't as simple, but it's an option if needed.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think I got rid of gmail active sync last year because of a little annoyance: whenever I would delete a message from my inbox, it would stay in my all mail folder. With IMAP I can have deleted messages removed from inbox and from all mail..... Does anyone know any workaround for this? So that when I delete a message using gmail active sync it removes it altogether even from my all mail folder?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think I got rid of gmail active sync last year because of a little annoyance: whenever I would delete a message from my inbox, it would stay in my all mail folder. With IMAP I can have deleted messages removed from inbox and from all mail..... Does anyone know any workaround for this? So that when I delete a message using gmail active sync it removes it altogether even from my all mail folder?

http://support.google.com/a/users/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Scroll down to "Delete Email"

----------

How about this scenario:

I upgrade my 4S to the iPhone 5 and set my gmail account under exchange but only fetch hourly, will active sync still work?

I am guessing you won't be able to complete the setup at all- I guess one of us can go to an Apple store and try.

I just 'upgraded' to a 4S, I guess I probably won't switch phones for at least a few months. But I really liked having push for Google email, calendar, and contacts. I'll get over losing it, but it is really nice to have.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but i recently set my gmail exchange account in the mail app to manual pull and installed the gmail app which has the push notifications ... Now I get instant notifications of new emails and as soon as I go into the mail app it pulls them down ...the thing that I've noticed is my battery life has gotten much better almost 50-60% better

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but i recently set my gmail exchange account in the mail app to manual pull and installed the gmail app which has the push notifications ... Now I get instant notifications of new emails and as soon as I go into the mail app it pulls them down ...the thing that I've noticed is my battery life has gotten much better almost 50-60% better

Hmmm...maybe something good has come out of this after all, nor thought of this, thanks!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I am going to give this a try too. Now that I think of it, as long as my contacts and calendar are automatically updated when I open those apps (which is how it works in manual mode), I don't need push for them either.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just out of curiousity from a technical standpoint which wastes more battery? PUSH or FETCH.... I would think that with FETCH polling the server every 15 minutes that would waste more battery.... Obviously manual fetch would waste the least, but where does Push stand?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Just out of curiousity from a technical standpoint which wastes more battery? PUSH or FETCH.... I would think that with FETCH polling the server every 15 minutes that would waste more battery.... Obviously manual fetch would waste the least, but where does Push stand?

I get better battery life on push than fetching at a given interval. But, if you get a lot of emails in one day, it will affect your battery somewhat. Definitely not as big of hit as fetching, because it's not constantly checking.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I get better battery life on push than fetching at a given interval. But, if you get a lot of emails in one day, it will affect your battery somewhat. Definitely not as big of hit as fetching, because it's not constantly checking.

Ok thats what I thought, I dont get too many emails so Push would work best for me.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Well, this is certainly making me consider migrating over to my iCloud account for my primary personal email address. I've got a Genius Bar appointment in a couple of weeks for a battery issue on my iPhone, if they issue a replacement and it doesn't work with GMail push then I'll be switching over.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I just set up gmail sync on my ipad mini and it worked like a charm, my device even came up in the google sync settings webpage. So perhaps it is based on user accounts and not based on the device. Either that or they pushed back the cutoff date

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just set up gmail sync on my ipad mini and it worked like a charm, my device even came up in the google sync settings webpage. So perhaps it is based on user accounts and not based on the device. Either that or they pushed back the cutoff date

That's hopeful news. All indications were that it would be limited by device, as each device sends a unique ID or something like that.

It's possible they pushed back the cutoff date, although Google said the postponement only applied to Windows Phone devices.

It might just be that they despite the cutoff date, they just haven't actually implemented it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.