Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Not bad:
osy4ja.png

This was with my phone on WiFi for most of the day, not doing much a little gaming/facebook/browsing and some texting, not too bad.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
6.1 is giving me superb battery life so far! I'm sitting at 20%:

Usage: 6 hours, 55 minutes
Standby: 16 hours, 20 minutes

All this with Bluetooth off, Wifi on (always on) and brightness at 65% or so. My usage is the usual web browsing, text messaging, fb, candy crush (hooked on it like crack) and some YouTube videos.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Try ditching the standard "GMail" preset and use Exchange for your Gmail, using the server and domain "m.google.com"

This will give you true push e-mail that doesn't have to check every 15 minutes. When you get an email, it comes in instantly. I'd be interested in knowing if this makes your battery life improve.

I'll try that , thanks

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Quite possibly a placebo effect, but I feel my iPhone 5 lasting longer on LTE than before. I guess time will tell if that's really the case.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
So what settings do you all have to make your battery last as long as you do? I have everything on and brightness turned up all the way? Here is mine already today and it's going down just writing this post lol. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359651578.119722.jpg

garamum

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
I'm sure the people in this thread that have outstanding battery have things turned off, just wondering how much I have to turn off to get better life. What's the opportunity cost lol.

Iphone 5 16GB Black/Slate

Nope i don't have outstanding battery performance..

I have everything turned off (Mail (Push Off), notifications (Manual), Location Services, iCloud, Siri, Facetime, Spotlight Search..) + Only 2 apps installed

Battery remaining: 1%
5h34m Usage
1day4h Standby

Thinking to get a replacement

Algo922

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Is this a good battery life? ive been playing a game called "the world ends with you" a 2GB game most of the time while also watching a little bit of youtube videos

Attachments

• IMG_4628.png
    IMG_4628.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 115

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009

I have everything turned off (Mail (Push Off), notifications (Manual), Location Services, iCloud, Siri, Facetime, Spotlight Search..) + Only 2 apps installed

5h34m Usage
1day4h Standby

this is similar to what i have seen on mine. what are you losing "overnight"?

my overnight usage of battery is what disappoints me the most. i go from close to 7 hours/charge performance to under 6 if i don't charge overnight.

i'm wittling down the culprits with the next logical steps of disabling/uninstalling Evernote and Dropbox as i realized that these two apps might be syncing throughout the night. if it weren't for the ~10% drain overnight for me (8-10 hrs), i think i'd be pretty content with my usage. [like you, i've disabled almost everything (including Siri and Facetime) without finding any nemesis*)

* i guess the good news is that If and when i find the culprit, i can turn all of these other things back on! :)

garamum

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
this is similar to what i have seen on mine. what are you losing "overnight"?

my overnight usage of battery is what disappoints me the most. i go from close to 7 hours/charge performance to under 6 if i don't charge overnight.

i'm wittling down the culprits with the next logical steps of disabling/uninstalling Evernote and Dropbox as i realized that these two apps might be syncing throughout the night. if it weren't for the ~10% drain overnight for me (8-10 hrs), i think i'd be pretty content with my usage. [like you, i've disabled almost everything (including Siri and Facetime) without finding any nemesis*)

* i guess the good news is that If and when i find the culprit, i can turn all of these other things back on! :)

I'm losing 5-6% overnight (8-10 hours) with no syncing -.-"

And i've done everything to get "some" battery life improvement but still draining quickly, (restoring as new, setting as "New phone" without restoring, Reset all settings and drain it to 1% and charge it up to 100%)

I'll observe for at least one more week than will see if i get a replacement

AJ007

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Syracuse, NY
heat!!

Mine also sat over night. unplugged at 10:30 pm 100%, 6am 8 hours later no usage 45%. and warm to the touch in a 65 degree house. and the usage was 8hours use/ 8 hours since last charge, LTE turned off, wifi on, 6.1 iPhone 5. doing a restore now, but I have no faith in this pile.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I'm sure the people in this thread that have outstanding battery have things turned off, just wondering how much I have to turn off to get better life. What's the opportunity cost lol.

I have nothing disabled. Running BT, wifi, location, etc and still get about 12-13 hours of regular usage. Nothing has changed with any of the updates.

I'm not sure how I keep getting these unique "miracle phones" every upgrade but I have yet to experience any battery life issues.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Could it be that those who are getting really long usage times (like, 12 hours on a single charge) are simply listening to a lot of music? Listening to music in the background with your screen off also ups the usage timer, but it doesn't nearly use as much battery as when the screen is on.

So I'd say a good value without any "screen off music" is somewhere around 6 hours (from 100% to empty). Any intensive game playing or web surfing in areas with weak signal will lower the time accordingly.

Also, any stuck processes (some iCloud bookmark sync, or Skype which is notoriously a CPU hog in the background in some cases, etc) will significantly shorten life on a single charge.

My battery has been pretty much constant with the 4S and iOS 5 or 6, and now with the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 or 6.1. I always have a decrease of about 15% for every hour of usage, and that's fine to me.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
After restoring my iPhone and setting it up as new, here are the results.
Note: the left one is before and the right one is now.
image.jpg

I can see an improvement here :p

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012

5h34m Usage
1day4h Standby

Reset all your settings.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I'm losing 5-6% overnight (8-10 hours) with no syncing -.-"

And i've done everything to get "some" battery life improvement but still draining quickly, (restoring as new, setting as "New phone" without restoring, Reset all settings and drain it to 1% and charge it up to 100%)

I'll observe for at least one more week than will see if i get a replacement

please continue to keep us posted. i know it is hard to be thorough/extensive, but what apps do you have running in the background and what kind of notifications/location services do you have running?

i was going to wait until my test was complete (may take a week or two), but i might as well report where i currently stand as i might have found my culprit for overnight drain.

after work last night, i charged my phone fully up and further disabled (see my other settings in a prior post):

- Photostream (which i had done previous evening)
- Dropbox (logged out)
- Evernote (logged out)

when i woke in the morning, i checked the phone, it showed: 99%, 15 minutes usage, 10 hours stand by.

This is very good, in my experience although i have to add the caveat that my phone always stays at 100% for a while. Neverthless, if i i did something similar in prior weeks with my typical things enabled (the three items above as well as facetime and siri), i would see the phone at 93%.

so, i'm pretty certain there is some distinct improvement here.

the prior night, i disabled photostream and saw it drop from 78% to 70% which is the typical drop i've been seeing. (as low as 6%, as high as 12%)

admittedly, i need more evidence as i have seen my consumption vary from as little as 6% (that is usually coming off a 100% charge before going to bed) and as much as 12%. i think this variability speaks to the inaccuracies/inconsistencies in the battery meter percentrages as well as variability in different services.

also, i haven't systematically timed/recorded what duration that overnight consumption occurs over (could be as many as 12 hours and as few as 7-8), but it seems, at first glance, that one of the three above (or all of them) play a major role in what i've seen consumed overnight.

what still puzzles me is the 15 minute usage overnight. i'm not sure what is being "used" as i shouldn't have anything being pushed/fetched. nor are any location services being used overnight (all of my "system services" are OFF)

the only thing i could think of is the remaining icloud things which are: Contacts and Find My iPhone.

(oh, i turned off Notes syncing too, the past two evenings in the numbers reported above.)

in the end, i use all of these things and may ultimately put everything back on and live with the ~10% overnight consumption. but it would be good to know what is sucking up all of my battery!

finally (sorry this is so long), one thing i read about (did a lot of good searching) regarding Dropbox is that if one uses it at home with a PC/Mac, they should disable "Enable on LAN." from what i understand, if that is checked, the PC/Mac may regularly query the net and try to update the phone (even if no files have changed). i will report back at some point, if i find that is indeed the case when i add Dropbox back into my mix of overnight running apps/services.

----------

Reset all your settings.

i think he did and he still is seeing those numbers.

----------
Could it be that those who are getting really long usage times (like, 12 hours on a single charge) are simply listening to a lot of music? Listening to music in the background with your screen off also ups the usage timer, but it doesn't nearly use as much battery as when the screen is on.

So I'd say a good value without any "screen off music" is somewhere around 6 hours (from 100% to empty). Any intensive game playing or web surfing in areas with weak signal will lower the time accordingly.

Also, any stuck processes (some iCloud bookmark sync, or Skype which is notoriously a CPU hog in the background in some cases, etc) will significantly shorten life on a single charge.

My battery has been pretty much constant with the 4S and iOS 5 or 6, and now with the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 or 6.1. I always have a decrease of about 15% for every hour of usage, and that's fine to me.

quite possibly...of course, as i've noted, i don't expect 12 hours. i just want more than 5-6 :)

i've done quite a bit of testing of what my consumption is for at least my types of iphone usage during my commute which is about 45 minutes long: i consume around 10% (8-11%) in that time, which works out to be about 7.5 hours of usage. i know this is about right, as i used to get about 7-8 hours of usage over 2 days with my iphone 4.

of course, signal strength plays a major role in consumption. at my office building, if i move into the interior rooms for meetings, signal is really poor and i see my battery consumption shoot way up. i've also made the habit of turning off LTE when at work since LTE signal is really poor compared to 4G and also results in higher battery consumption; not to mention, i often miss calls if i leave my phone on LTE since it pulls in 1-2 bars vs 2-3 bars on 4G.

Last edited:

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
My biggest issue with the battery is its decrease without using it! I've slept 2h right now and it decreased from 80% to 70%!

I've already restored as new, don't know what can I possibly do...

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I don't think the Usage/Standby gives the level of detail you really need and it's quite pointless comparing. 1 hour of Wifi hotspot is not equal to 1 hour of music. Even if these figures are accompanied with a short description of activities, it's still hard to make a comparison.

I would love to see a more comprehensive breakdown of CPU time against apps and services.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
My biggest issue with the battery is its decrease without using it! I've slept 2h right now and it decreased from 80% to 70%!

I've already restored as new, don't know what can I possibly do...

How many bars do you have? That can affect the battery drainage. And iCloud backup can also affect it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.