Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
My Tripp Lite surge protector/line conditioner has started making this loud buzzing sound whenever I turn on my '08 MP.
I've plugged the computer into another Tripp Lite and it does the same thing- also tried a different outlet with same result.

So it seems that the likely culprit is the MP.

The buzzing starts as soon as the MP powers up and starts booting.

Could this be the power supply? Is there any way for me to test this without having to haul the beast to the Apple Store?

Any other suggestions for things I should check?

Thanks

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I can not say for sure, but my iMac is doing same buzzing sound. Took it to the Apple Store Tuesday and tech said instant that he heard buzzing, that it was the power supply. They have replaced it and are currently running test to make sure all is working for me. Should get my iMac back this evening or tomorrow morning. But was told so far test are showing power supply was the problem. Annoying sound though. Use to it being quite.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Yeah, I'm more concerned about it damaging something than the annoyance factor, thought that's there too.

Did you know if they did a hardware test or anything?

And just to clarify- it's the surge protecter(s) that's making the buzzing.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Your UPS batteries... how old? They may be failing. If they can't support the load, the UPS alerts you.

Try turning on the UPS and allowing it to finish it sself-test before you power up the Mac. This allows the UPS to avoid having to supply the current inrush of initial startup from its batteries.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Hi-

Thanks for the response, but they're not UPS's- just surge protectors.

And I tried plugging the CPU in to two different Tripp Lites and on a different circuit, and they both started making the same noise when I turned on the computer.

So I'm pretty sure they're not the culprits.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Does the surge protector have a power throughput limit? Any chance you a exceeding it? No chance in researching the surge protector to find out what the buzz might signify?

You might also have a phase difference issue. Are all your wired devices (monitors, network appliances, Mac pro etc.) connected to the same phase? If not, try disconnecting everything superfluous.

Any changes in the infra lately ?

RGDS,

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Nothing else with the other stuff plugged in has changed at all and the noise still happens with everything else turned off.

I'm not sure what you mean by "infra"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.