Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Palvolin

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
I started having this problem about two weeks ago. I went to sleep with my battery holding its normal charge and in the morning it was completely shut off. When I plugged my power cord in, it showed a green light. When I loaded everything up i looked at my battery icon and it showed 0% charged and not charging - replace now.

I just got this update, but it hasn't resolved the issue. Not sure if I need to do something extra to get it to work or what...

Help?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Thanks for the tip, but there is no evidence of that. I compared the output of "hdiutil imageinfo" for one of the good images and the possibly damaged MacBook one, and they are structurally identical: same image format, same compression format. The only details which differ are things like checksums, volume size, and partition-data for partition zero.

hdiutil verify reports the disk image checksums are OK.

Mounting it and doing a Verify Disk in Disk Utility reports "Volume header needs minor repair", so it appears that the file system inside the disk image has a minor corruption issue.
I see. Thanks for the info! :)

----------

It's crazy how you can even get an update for the battery!
Or thunderbolt cables:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/27/apple-releases-thunderbolt-firmware-update-v1-1/

derrick021

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
back to sad issues

got white mb unibody late 2010, battery was pronounced dead after 1050 cycles about a month ago, so i live on power cord. was more than happy to see this update. updated (checked). nothing changed. smc reset with no help. battery still not charging, it keeps saying 'replace now'

do you guys think i still have some hope on saving me a new battery ? it used to hold more then 3 hours of working time just before it died.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 9.10.18 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 9.10.18 .jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 9.10.44 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 9.10.44 .jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
got white mb unibody late 2010, battery was pronounced dead after 1050 cycles about a month ago, so i live on power cord. was more than happy to see this update. updated (checked). nothing changed. smc reset with no help. battery still not charging, it keeps saying 'replace now'

do you guys think i still have some hope on saving me a new battery ? it used to hold more then 3 hours of working time just before it died.

Because batteries will eventually be depleted. Buy a new one.

dab0mb

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Philippines
Because batteries will eventually be depleted. Buy a new one.

but do MBP batteries really get totally drained after 1000+ cycles, because I have the same case with derrick021. Lappy's 28mos old and cycle count is 1052. It used to still hold 4 to 5 hours of charge a week ago, then suddenly, it wouldn't charge anymore. And oh, the date and time, as well as the wifi connection keeps getting a reset everytime I turn on my laptop using the power cord. Is that normal, too? :confused:

Last edited:

gessgallardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013

I'm having the same issue, 1086 cycles :( and still I haven't found an answer of how to solve this.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 02.29.52.png
    Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 02.29.52.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 02.31.34.png
    Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 02.31.34.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 100

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth

I'm having the same issue, 1086 cycles :( and still I haven't found an answer of how to solve this.

What version of SMC does System Profiler report your MacBook as having?

For ONLY the MacBook targeted by this update, your SMC version should be v1.60f6

If it's anything else, then the update hasn't applied.

wayner8088

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Updated 2011 MacBook Air and everything is speedier...EVERYTHING, from iApps to 3rd party apps. Now if you can ONLY do the same for my MacBook Retina!!!!

gessgallardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
What version of SMC does System Profiler report your MacBook as having?

For ONLY the MacBook targeted by this update, your SMC version should be v1.60f6

If it's anything else, then the update hasn't applied.

Based on this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237 (summary of FI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs) and this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626 (MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.6 released on Jan 30 2013) it suppose that my macbook pro battery should charge as always because i have the last EFI and SCM updates ( the funny thing is one day before the release of the firmware update, the battery were still working... funny.) so, I don't know if the battery really don't work anymore or just the update haven't applied yet to my mac.

pd: sorry for my lame english :p!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 10.34.46.png
    Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 10.34.46.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,959
  • Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 10.33.00.png
    Captura de pantalla 2013-02-07 a la(s) 10.33.00.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 112

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Based on this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237 (summary of FI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs) and this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1626 (MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.6 released on Jan 30 2013) it suppose that my macbook pro battery should charge as always because i have the last EFI and SCM updates ( the funny thing is one day before the release of the firmware update, the battery were still working... funny.) so, I don't know if the battery really don't work anymore or just the update haven't applied yet to my mac...

Correct.

Looks like the update HAS been applied to your MacBookPro. The firmware update should update the MacBookPro (13-inch, Mid 2010) to SMC version 1.62f7, which you have.

The MacBookPro SMC Update v1.6 contains two versions of SMC firmware for the following MacBookPro models:

MacBookPro (13-inch, Mid 2010) (MacBookPro7,1) updates to SMC v1.62f7

MacBookPro (13-inch, Early 2011) (MacBookPro8,1) updates to SMC v1.68f99

Hopefully, Apple can sort this out. It seems most failures have been sudden (as supposedly fixed by the firmware update) but if you're already over the 1050 cycles mark, it's too late for the battery itself. I imagine Apple may need to come up with a battery re-setter for those batteries already hit with this issue if my reckoning is correct.

techigo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I have update to SMC v1.68f99 on Macbook Pro 8.1 early 2011 and I think battery its now working worse. Percentage its down like seconds... **** update in my opinion.

Attachments

• b.png
    b.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 87

veev

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Did the update and Mac stopped working!

Facts: Mid to Late 2010 Macbook Pro 13" with latest Mountain Lion (10.8.2??)

installed SMC update 1.6 as requested through the app store
update went through and computer restarted with following symptoms:
-fan running at full blast
-battery icon crossed on menu bar and showing "no battery available" when clicked. SMC looks fine apart from battery showing 0%
-screen light turns on full blast
-keyboard lights don't function nor able to be adjusted using F5+F6 keys

I did a few restarts hoping symptoms pass - no help

I logged back into app store - it showed update req still, run through the update again, worked, but no change of fan, battery or lights - still malfunctioning.
Tried SMC reset, apple recovery online, normal recovery (holding option key on startup), nothing works:(

Please help...

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

-battery icon crossed on menu bar and showing "no battery available" when clicked. SMC looks fine apart from battery showing 0%

I logged back into app store - it showed update req still, run through the update again, worked, but no change of fan, battery or lights - still malfunctioning.
Tried SMC reset, apple recovery online, normal recovery (holding option key on startup), nothing works:(

Please help...

Take it to an Apple store.

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Problem with this update? I do.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has issued updates for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air notebook models to fix a rare battery issue. The updates are available via Apple's software updates page or through Software Update and the Mac App Store.
Update: MacRumors forum member Dempson looked inside the updates and found they are for the following machines:

Article Link: Apple Issues SMC Firmware Update for MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air Models

I have mid-2011, Mac Air 13", 128 GG RAM, the icon for App Store in my dock shows an update available (a '1' in red circle). When I open App Store and click on Updates, the page opens and shows one available but after a lot of 'spinning' says No Updates Available while still showing the update available. What's going on?
I did a complete shutdown and started up with all my peripherals disconnected. No change.

Download completed. I guess the server(s) busy and gave the wrong message.

Last edited:

akimont88

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013

Please help...

I have had some serious issues since installing SMC update 1.6. My computer is freezing constantly, and often, my WiFi and ethernet cards are not being detected. Here's a thread where a few others have posted who have issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21315004?ac_cid=tw123456#21315004

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.