Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I was thinking about stuff i could put on my youtube channel, i was thinking i could do ppc mac application reviews. What applications should i review maybe web browsers and a comparison since there very commonly needed?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Make sure all of the videos are 240p MAX resolution so a select few G4 users will be able to view it using flash :D

I kid...I kid. That sounds like a cool idea, there aren't many modern PPC YT videos out there, it has the potential to become a very useful channel if you pick your content right.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I can only see higher resolution videos if and ONLY if Quicktime player and clicktoflash were installed on everyone's G4's. Even on my PB G4 1.67 DLSD I can view high definition under Quicktime's codecs, while flash it would choke.

Make sure all of the videos are 240p MAX resolution so a select few G4 users will be able to view it using flash :D

I kid...I kid. That sounds like a cool idea, there aren't many modern PPC YT videos out there, it has the potential to become a very useful channel if you pick your content right.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
I would have videos for all the questions that we see all the time. Best browser, 10.5 on sub 867mhz machines, best program for this or that, etc.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
There is alot you can do. Hardware reviews and upgrades, Software reviews and comparisons, OS reviews and comparisons.

Hardware: videos of reviews of PPC hardware and possible upgrades and add-ons how to install said upgrades and add-ons etc.

Software: Reviews, Comparisons, etc. of PPC Linux and OSX software, from everyday applications to games and the like.

OS: Reviews, comparisons of Linux distros and Mac OS versions, uses for Linux over OSX and uses for OSX over Linux, Uses for Mac OSes 9 and below for gaming and applications, Understanding of the classic feature in 10.4 and below, which applications work on classic and which don't.

While there is alot of info on all these topics. There isn't much info on youtube, and as far as i'm aware there are no PPC dedicated channels on youtube.

Nova77

May 12, 2011
First, Id like to say you should offer HD quality videos if you can do it. That comment about 240p video might be a joke but still, I think there are already enough people thinking their G4s and G5s are junk. Look around you and you will see many people are deeply convinced their PPC mac can't handle HD, or even modern web browsing, while in reality it CAN. So if you are going to do app reviews -- such apps that help bring our macs back in todays world -- I strongly suggest you keep in mind that a lot of G4 and G5 are unsupported but not obsolete. Damn Apple, if only you could have acted more like Microsoft (win XP support for a billion years, no jailstore mentality) I bet I wouldn't type this from an android device...

As for apps, I would say anything that replaces outdated stuff, optimized apps. I bet you get the idea from what I just said anyways... An interesting idea would be to try out all those apps on sites like ppcmac or ppcluddite and show them to the public. If you have many PPC macs at your disposal it would be also cool to see which app performs best depending on config. That would be super awesome actually.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
HD and PowerPC

I am going to make this really brief as to not confuse..

The ONLY way for HD to work properly with PowerPC would be through either coreplayer, XBMC, VLC, and Quicktime Player. Mactubes I believe allows HD playback through Quicktime codecs..

The G5 Quad and Dual Core family of 970MP should have no problems playing back 720p or 1080p with flash or even Quicktime. Personally, I use Quicktime to play back all my youtube movies, plus my fans don't rev up like they would under flash. For those with low end G5's and or Dual processor G4s - Your best bet is to use Quicktime to play back videos. Flash would run horribly on those.

So, I would hope HD is offered as I prefer to watch HD on my Quad.. and not 240p. Even my PowerBook G4 1.67 can watch HD at 720p using Quicktime and not flash.

First, Id like to say you should offer HD quality videos if you can do it. That comment about 240p video might be a joke but still, I think there are already enough people thinking their G4s and G5s are junk. Look around you and you will see many people are deeply convinced their PPC mac can't handle HD, or even modern web browsing, while in reality it CAN. So if you are going to do app reviews -- such apps that help bring our macs back in todays world -- I strongly suggest you keep in mind that a lot of G4 and G5 are unsupported but not obsolete. Damn Apple, if only you could have acted more like Microsoft (win XP support for a billion years, no jailstore mentality) I bet I wouldn't type this from an android device...

As for apps, I would say anything that replaces outdated stuff, optimized apps. I bet you get the idea from what I just said anyways... An interesting idea would be to try out all those apps on sites like ppcmac or ppcluddite and show them to the public. If you have many PPC macs at your disposal it would be also cool to see which app performs best depending on config. That would be super awesome actually.

Nova77

May 12, 2011
Higher end G4s should have no problem watching 720p youtube, but your best bet is to either download the video with mactubes or copy link to watch it with VLC. They have made huge inprovements in VLC (v. 2.0.1 and up), starting to use altivec, and since it seems coreplayer is not available anymore VLC is now the fastest . QT is not an option on a G4 (way too laggy).

A lot of G4 and all G5 users means a public large enough to justify HD apps reviews.

Last edited:

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Higher end G4s should have no problem watching 720p youtube, but your best bet is to either download the video with mactubes or copy link to watch it with VLC. They have made huge inprovements in VLC (v. 2.0.1 and up), starting to use altivec, and since it seems coreplayer is not available anymore VLC is now the fastest . QT is not an option on a G4 (way too laggy).

A lot of G4 and all G5 users means a public large enough to justify HD apps reviews.

Unless I use a modified vlc i cant get over 240p flash and 360p quicktime/vlc. I have an older g4 with the newer version of the g4.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Unless I use a modified vlc i cant get over 240p flash and 360p quicktime/vlc. I have an older g4 with the newer version of the g4.

How about you buy a old golf cart and restore it

you call it "Golf Cart restoration" and once the series is done you make a movie using the leftover behind the scenes footage and call it "Hipsters don't play golf" ;)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys, what kind of content would you think would be helpful to the modern ppc public?

1.hardware modifications like wireless n adapters,

2.the right types of external HDD that can boot up PPC Macs,

3. links to sites with downloadable versions of OSX 10.3 -10.5.8

4. ways to optimize OS X to make us of the older machines.

Things like that from me.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
How about you buy a old golf cart and restore it

you call it "Golf Cart restoration" and once the series is done you make a movie using the leftover behind the scenes footage and call it "Hipsters don't play golf" ;)

I would but i feel like it would be better if you did that, your more experienced.

Nova77

May 12, 2011

Whats your G4? Because theres a G4 533 mhz I use that plays youtube 360p in fullscreen like a charm (with mactubes).

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Whats your G4? Because theres a G4 533 mhz I use that plays youtube 360p in fullscreen like a charm (with mactubes).

I dont see how thats possible my 800mhz has some troubles on 720p and I just finally found out how to make 480p run very nicely so I dont understand how a 533mhz could do this. Unless it has a higher amount of vram but in this case I dont see why apple would put a lower end card in my newer machine.

philz4life

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
I am going to make this really brief as to not confuse..

The ONLY way for HD to work properly with PowerPC would be through either coreplayer, XBMC, VLC, and Quicktime Player. Mactubes I believe allows HD playback through Quicktime codecs..

The G5 Quad and Dual Core family of 970MP should have no problems playing back 720p or 1080p with flash or even Quicktime. Personally, I use Quicktime to play back all my youtube movies, plus my fans don't rev up like they would under flash. For those with low end G5's and or Dual processor G4s - Your best bet is to use Quicktime to play back videos. Flash would run horribly on those.

So, I would hope HD is offered as I prefer to watch HD on my Quad.. and not 240p. Even my PowerBook G4 1.67 can watch HD at 720p using Quicktime and not flash.

I have a dual processor G4, how do you make it so that Quicktime plays the videos on youtube and not flash?

Nova77

May 12, 2011
I dont see how thats possible my 800mhz has some troubles on 720p and I just finally found out how to make 480p run very nicely so I dont understand how a 533mhz could do this. Unless it has a higher amount of vram but in this case I dont see why apple would put a lower end card in my newer machine.

Lol well 360p is not even DVD quality, and any g4 can play DVDs in fullscreen. Heck even most of the g3s could. DVD is 480p. It's a matter of video format and video player more than anything else... This particular g4 533 MHz has a geforce mx4 32 MB vram.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.