Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
As the spilt juice has voided any warranty, why would you go to an Apple Store anyway? Apple Store is for warranty work only, even then, you should check with your local AASP (Authorised Service Provider) first as they tend to have better turn arounds and more experienced and knowledgable staff.

Last edited:

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Ok, I'll start again.
I went to the apple store and they told me there was little they could do. What they COULD do was do a damage report, which I would pay for, which I could use for my insurance to get a new. I'm a student, I don't have any insurance.
They said they "could clean it" but she said it like it was physically painful to utter and it wouldn't make any difference... (I mean, my girlfriend once vomited on her PC laptop and she got in repaired free... Mac is superior on all other aspects though)

Ok, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be annoying, to insult or to act like a spoiled brat.
I'm on my knees here, I am admitting all blame and will gladly walk through fire, I will kiss your feet, wash your hair, _anything_ just please tell me what to do. What can I do?
(I mean, I could buy a new one on instalment...)
But anything else? Machine is still working fine, some keys still sticky, but no other signs. I know, I know, corroding and rust... I know it will happen...

Would opening it up and having a look do anything? Pick out the pieces of dried orange strings? Would it "do" anything? Perhaps it would give me a view of the extent of damage? (If visible)... Or will it just make things worse?
This is the 2011 model, I assume, meaning there is no visible battery, or battery door, just the plate itself which is fastened with four screws...
I've been meaning to open it up anyway, since I know a lot of dust etc has fallen into the fan-area... I once saw a video of a guy opening up this model to use an "air spray" to blow away the dust and crumbs from the fan.

Again, please, I really don't need any "you're an idiot" "you ********* up", "newb", "moron", "kill yourself" or "buy a pc" or "you beating a dead horse"... I'm sure it's tempting, but I beg you.
Be gentle.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Ok ill be gentile since you are on your knees :D let them do an assessment on how much for them to fix it and pay up. Or ditch it for 3-$400 on eBay as a damaged MBP and buy a new one.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Maybe you've inadvertently discovered a new elixir of life.

Then again we're talking about Apples and oranges...:D

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
But would opening it up and trying to clean, brush inside make any difference?
Is there anything I can DO?

Also, if the juice damages anything inside, and the mac-store refuses to repair, could I replace any of the damaged intestine with bits from my old macbook 13"? (Yes, stupid questions, these are ALL stupid questions. Why? I'm desperate... )

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ

Also, if the juice damages anything inside, and the mac-store refuses to repair, could I replace any of the damaged intestine with bits from my old macbook 13"? (Yes, stupid questions, these are ALL stupid questions. Why? I'm desperate... )

Opening it will make no difference, there's nothing you can brush away.

No, there is nothing you can replace from your old MacBook.

It's the Apple Store, not the mac-store.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

If you're lucky and no real damage has been done, you still need to open and clean it. Juice is corrosive, and it can do long term damage. If you're still using it with dried up juice touching any electronics, that is even worse.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
All that needs to be done - If the product wasn't just Water -
Re-flood with Water -
Physically Power out most of the water re-flooded while original product is still wet -
By swinging device as hard as possible - like spin cycle -

Set device on edge - with screen open - on the edge that most water drained from - braced well for heater fan to bathe the device with hot air with good overall flow of air.

Infrared gun to monitor applied heat can be 150 degrees on surface of device all night to bake out any moisture.
Small $20 bathroom Floor heaters are the Best Rescue Ever.

Forced dry a raw food product spilled - is flat out insane.
Always re-flood with Water.
My brand new MBP went under water - G-Forced out - baked all night - works fine.
Less than a month old - 2800.00 for a pound of metal was chest pounding scary to attempt to fire it up the next morning.
Fired Up - Like it never happened.

It's a sophisticated piece of electronics - not a potato.
Every minute that goes by soaking wet - is going for major drama.
Planting electronics deep in soil - works great for Alien Art projects.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Take it apart, clean it out. Ifixit guides are great and it's not very hard to do, even for a beginner.

The danger of OJ is that unlike water, which itself has minerals and impurities, the acidity and sugar will almost certainly cause corrosion and damage if not properly cleaned.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple's standard repair fee for something like that is $755. That happened to me once. It came back with a new logic board, bottom case assembly, battery, trackpad, keyboard, and wi-fi card. Except for the screen and top case, it was basically a brand new machine. You didn't say which 2010/2011 version it was. If it was worth more than $755 before that might be the best option. If not, see if an Apple authorized service center would clean it out for you, and how much it would be. In any case, it might not be a bad idea to explore used or refurbished options.

For the future, consider getting a personal articles policy. If you or your parents have homeowners or renters insurance (e.g. in dorm or at home) you can get a policy fairly cheaply. I have one for $60/year and it covers accidental damage, loss, and theft.

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks.
On monday I'll go back to the Apple store and ask them for a price of cleaning it out (there is, I'm embarrassed to say, a lot of hair under the keys as well)

But, the enter key is still sticky... I remove the key and I see there is a lot of yellow gunk _under_ the plastic bridges, i.e. where I cannot reach it. Is there any way to reach these places? I mean, it seems unlikely, but...
If I open the back, according to youtube-videos, I do not get access to the underside of the keyboard... Do I?

Liquid Spill

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Chicago, Il
Help...
While eating breakfast I spilled 1/4 of a glass of orange juice over the top left half of the macbook keyboard... Because I got so frightened I couldn't actually tell where the juice ran, but certainly on the keyboard and possibly higher up, towards the little "grill" (where the screen and keyboard meets... where I know there is already dusts, crumbs, etc)
I am *********?
Nothing happened. No noise, no smoke, no bang. All keys are working, though sticky, and computer running fine... for now.

So, if it's dangerous, I mean exploding, losing all data, etc, would there be a sign? Or is my macbook now a ticking bomb?
Or, is it fine for now, but needs repair so that any possible juice doesn't corrode/rust the internal organs?
Or is it fine-fine?

I used a hairdryer "gently" towards the grill... Will that help any?

(I'm really worried... The machine is two years old, does that mean the warranty is off? Also, I'm a smoker, does that mean they wont fix it? I once tried to get a new power cable, but when they saw that there was a bump on the side of the mac, from a fall, they told me to get stuffed... How much will such a repair job/check cost me if not covered by anything? It's New Years Eve today, meaning macshops are closed today and tomorrow... Drop by one on wednesday? If it hasn't exploded by then...)

Sorry, I know there are a million threads like this... I'm having a bit of a crisis and freaking out...
The hair dryer not a good idea. The warranty is more than likely void until your Mac is repaired, it will then be reinstated. If it's working besides the sticky keyboard there is slight possibility that only the keyboard would need replaced.

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
The hair dryer not a good idea. The warranty is more than likely void until your Mac is repaired, it will then be reinstated. If it's working besides the sticky keyboard there is slight possibility that only the keyboard would need replaced.

Maybe. Who knows?
Fact is, no apple store wants to do anything to help. Humac and the other one here in Norway. Nothing. Won't clean it, wont do anything cept do a damage check which will only apply to insurance I dont have.
They say once things start to break down they can see what can be replaced. But surely it wont be worth it.
So, I'm using it for now, seeing what happens. Little else to do. Managed to get the worse of the stickyness off the Enter-key, but it still clicks unusually. I can see yellow stains under the plastic, where I cant reach. Surely it will rust. It's been a month now, maybe I have a few weeks left on it.

My mistake. I ********* up. Nothing more to say it seems. Not sure who to apologize to.
But, if you have Any tips, suggestions, be sure to holla at me. I need a lot of luck and a lot of help.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Now I know why the computer lab at school had a huge sign on the door:
NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
The only way to know F'd you are is to take the motherboard out and look at it. If there's liquid on it or little blue/green ****, it's corroding. If not, you're ok.

All those points next to solder pads are a good indicator of where the liquid damage is. They turn red/dark brown near where the liquid went.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
agreed the first thing I told myself before getting the Mac absolutely no drinks in the same room what so ever. I had never had any kind of liquid damage and never will

So you wouldn't even bring a drink and place it on a cupboard all the way across the room or anything?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Ive only spilled, well squirted really, a certain bodily fluid on mine... makes keys sticky here and there but its easily cleanable thankfully.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Damage Spill Repairs.. ebay..

I really have NO idea if this place is Good or bad (hopefully someone out here can add something useful) but they DO advertise Liquid Spill Repairs with 30 day Warranty.. Seems like a decent plan if for real!!

30 DAY REPAIR WARRANTY(95% repair rate fro water damage, Other have 99% repair rate)

We have fixed a lot of laptop logic board which have been failed from other repair centers, Give your laptop a chance to reborn, and give us a chance to serve you!

Here is the one item I saw, $260 Retina Repair.. CHEAP if it works!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro...953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7dc1e7c9

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I would be tempted to do what was mentioned above, which is to use water.

I would remove the battery completely, then submerge the bottom half (not the screen) in water which would help wash away all the corrosive juice.

I would then leave it in the sun to dry for like... a week.
I would NOT use a heater or a blow dryer to try force the water out quicker. You will end up evaporating the water into steam which I believe would cause more corrosion.

However this is something that I would be semi tempted to do personally IF I had spilt a large quantity of juice. I am NOT suggesting you do this as submerging the entire system in water certainly will not be good for it. I would assume however that water is far less damaging than juice, and as long as the device doesn't power up at all while wet, theres not much chance of a short.

Either way, good luck man. As someone said earlier, you probably couldn't have picked a worse substance to spill over it, short of actual acid.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I would be tempted to do what was mentioned above, which is to use water.

I would remove the battery completely, then submerge the bottom half (not the screen) in water which would help wash away all the corrosive juice.

I would then leave it in the sun to dry for like... a week.
I would NOT use a heater or a blow dryer to try force the water out quicker. You will end up evaporating the water into steam which I believe would cause more corrosion.

However this is something that I would be semi tempted to do personally IF I had spilt a large quantity of juice. I am NOT suggesting you do this as submerging the entire system in water certainly will not be good for it. I would assume however that water is far less damaging than juice, and as long as the device doesn't power up at all while wet, theres not much chance of a short.

Either way, good luck man. As someone said earlier, you probably couldn't have picked a worse substance to spill over it, short of actual acid.

You should think about deleting or editing your post, water DOES damage electronics.
Plain water has lots of minerals and other stuff in it, it conducts electricity and that's why your gear gets damaged when you spill water on it, it also leaves residue and this will become a problem later on.

You CAN though clean it with distilled water which is pure and does not contain anything else than H2O.

But, MUCH better is alcohol, no not the beer kind ;) but "pure" alcohol, it evaporates fast and leaves nothing behind.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
You should think about deleting or editing your post, water DOES damage electronics.
Plain water has lots of minerals and other stuff in it, it conducts electricity and that's why your gear gets damaged when you spill water on it, it also leaves residue and this will become a problem later on.

You CAN though clean it with distilled water which is pure and does not contain anything else than H2O.

But, MUCH better is alcohol, no not the beer kind ;) but "pure" alcohol, it evaporates fast and leaves nothing behind.

I was pretty clear that I don't suggest doing this and that submerging it in water would be harmful. I stand by my thinking that any decent tap water is a far better prospect than highly acidic orange juice. Either way it's not a good situation to be in and I am glad I am not the OP.

Sölarial

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Maybe. Who knows?
Fact is, no apple store wants to do anything to help. Humac and the other one here in Norway. Nothing. Won't clean it, wont do anything cept do a damage check which will only apply to insurance I dont have.
They say once things start to break down they can see what can be replaced. But surely it wont be worth it.
So, I'm using it for now, seeing what happens. Little else to do. Managed to get the worse of the stickyness off the Enter-key, but it still clicks unusually. I can see yellow stains under the plastic, where I cant reach. Surely it will rust. It's been a month now, maybe I have a few weeks left on it.

My mistake. I ********* up. Nothing more to say it seems. Not sure who to apologize to.
But, if you have Any tips, suggestions, be sure to holla at me. I need a lot of luck and a lot of help.

I see a lot of people here who have offered lots of different and potentially very helpful ideas, and yet I still see you whining and complaining the same as you were when you first started this thread. Your options are as follows: 1. Contact a certified Apple repair technician in your area, 2. Use ifixit.com (great website by the way) to tear it down yourself, and clean w/ cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol. 3. Sell it on eBay and let someone else do the repair work and make a dollar for their hard labor. or 4. Continue whining about how you messed up, and everyone wont help you and how your life just completely and totally sucks because you might have to switch back to PC. First world problems friend. Suck it up buttercup and pick one of those 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.