Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've handled the Galaxy Note and thought it was too big, but a Galaxy sized iPhone might be something I can get used to.
I've handled a Galaxy Note 2 and I thought it was too small. I ended up buying iPad mini. It's slightly too big, but much better than the way too small iPhone 3GS I had before.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Or they could just go 1280x720 on a 4.5" display. Shrinking the bezel slightly it won't have to be significantly larger than the iPhone 5, may still be one-handed usable for many people, keeps the same 326 dpi so UI guidelines are unchanged and existing Retina iPhone wafers can continue to be used just cut larger and gives them the "HD" moniker while also providing more usable screen space which simply keeping the same resolution and scaling up doesn't do.

Hurst

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
All part of a very long product plan

Does anyone really think Apple is going to react to the competition? Since when have they done that. I've been using Apple products since 1986.

Yes you will see a larger phone. But that's not reactive, its part of their product roadmap.

So will larger iPad formats for wall mounted touch screens in the kitchen. Before you get your larger screen formats for the living room.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Confused

Count me as one who doesn't get the charm of using something the size of a large brick to use as a phone. I suspect it's a fad...One of the "Because we can..." things. Like a dessert topping that's also counter cleaner.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The iphone is Wayyyy too big as it is! I would prefer an iphone mini around the 3 to 3.2 incher. Would be less bulky and more portable. Plus no trouble carrying around in jean pockets.

sounds like a Smartphone isnt what u need tbh

Count me as one who doesn't get the charm of using something the size of a large brick to use as a phone. I suspect it's a fad...One of the "Because we can..." things. Like a dessert topping that's also counter cleaner.

thats the "problem" tho, its no longer just a phone, people use it for so much more. in fact i hate being on the phone, i hate being called and i hate calling. i dont even recall the last time i used my iphone to make an actual call ^^

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I don't think Apple will increase the phone and keep the same resolution.
While that makes a Developers job easier many seem to be doing fine crafting Android apps which come in a myriad of resolutions.

I'm betting that we'll have someone uncover the "real" next resolution in the bowels of iOS 7 code and it will remain at 300+ PPI

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

To me this only makes sense if they eliminate the home button because they clearly won't shrink it too much and if the screen is the same size as a samsung but the body is larger I don't think it will fly that well

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Does anyone really think Apple is going to react to the competition? Since when have they done that. I've been using Apple products since 1986.

Yes you will see a larger phone. But that's not reactive, its part of their product roadmap.

So will larger iPad formats for wall mounted touch screens in the kitchen. Before you get your larger screen formats for the living room.

*sigh* unfortunately there aren't very many people who think intelligently like this on these forums....

Why people continue to think Apple is so reactionary is beyond me....Apple likely had this planned out AT LEAST 2 years ago....but I suppose, consumers want to wish/hope that these companies are as fickle and short sighted as they are.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I doubt Apple really will launch such a product but it'd be awesome if they did. It's obvious bigger smartphones are becoming more popular and they really are awesome. I'm sure Apple would do it properly and give it a decent PPI and it'd give them proper competition against the GS3 and Note 2. No matter what you think of Samsung you can't deny they're taking over the market something fierce.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I previously had a Samsung Galaxy Note and that was way to big... it didn't fit into any pockets and holding next to you face while talking just looked hilarious.

I prefer my iPhone 5 size... if I want something bigger I'll pull out my iPad mini :p

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I'd by an Apple Phablet. If the market truly wants big phones give them big phones. Steve's comment about telling customer's want they want is valid buy its also hyperbole. Certainly Apple listens to markets, trends and adapts.

An AppleTV screen
An AppleTV Appliance that utilizes Apps
More phones and continual tablet upgrades

...oh yeah and keep building Macs

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
A larger iPhone would sell like crazy! I for one would buy one in a hot second. I can see why some people like the smaller form factor, but they are certainly in the minority. I for one, hope this happens.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Does anyone really think Apple is going to react to the competition?

Well, yes. They're a business. They exist to make as much profit as possible. If the competition is making a lot of money selling big phones they will do the same. Just like how they jumped into the small tablet market because Android tablets were doing well there too.

Like or not Apple is threatened by Android. They didn't try and sue Android device makers into oblivion for nothing you know.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
There is positively no chance in hell Apple will shoot their Retina initiative in head by introducing a 264 PPI phone. None. Sub 5" 1080p phones are coming soon and from a number of manufacturers. I don't know what pixel density that works out to, but it is higher than the current iPhone by a good margin. You don't answer that with a new phone with giant pixels by comparison. That's backward progress, and will get the device panned.

If we get a larger screen option, PPI is going up or at the very least staying the same.
You mean there is no chance that Apple would introduce an iPad mini without a Retina display?

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Well, yes. They're a business. They exist to make as much profit as possible. If the competition is making a lot of money selling big phones they will do the same. Just like how they jumped into the small tablet market because Android tablets were doing well there too.

Like or not Apple is threatened by Android. They didn't try and sue Android device makers into oblivion for nothing you know.

I agree, and actually, I think the more options we have as Apple buyers the better for us.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Larger screens are popular PRECISELY because you can fit more information and content there. Not because of larger pixels.

This would be so useless.

Also, 16:9 sucks for phones. It's too narrow in portrait and short in landscape. See how narrow it feels?

I don't like 16 by 9 either on a phone. Feels awkward in the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.