Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad kicked off the Macworld/iWorld conference in San Francisco this morning, talking about their new feature film 'Jobs' that premiered at Sundance. Kutcher plays the iconic Jobs, while Gad takes on the role of Steve Wozniak.

jobskutcher.jpg
The Next Web wrote up much of the conversation, including this part about how Steve Jobs affected Kutcher:
"Steve believed it was possible to do something impossible," says Kutcher, alluding to the third thing that he took away from the film. He made reference to [a] famous quote that Jobs gave in an interview.

Kutcher says that this stuck with him. "When I heard that," says Kutcher, "he was talking to me, and he was talking to you. He was saying 'don't settle' for what life gives you, make life better."
And this, addressing criticisms aimed at the movie, including from Steve Wozniak himself:
"There will always be debates about what we got right and what we got wrong," says Gad, "but if I had a chance to sit down with him I'd explain that it was done with the utmost love, admiration and respect. And I hope when he sees it...in its entirety, that he can understand that."

"We weren't there," says Kutcher. "Part of it is, in filmmaking, you have to make a narrative that plays. If you look at the events of these guys' journey together, there were probably a lot of moments where there was nobody else there. You have to ride the arc of entertainment of the film and stay true to who the people were, how the people were and what the intent was."
'Jobs' premieres nationwide on April 19th.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad Talk 'Jobs' at Macworld

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I agree about going along for the ride. However - it could be argued that the writers did have potential access to one of the parties involved in the scenarios where "no one else was there" to do some research.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Kutcher is a legendary actor. I believe he has delved so deep into the role that Apple should actually hire him to revamp their aging product line. He may be a better Steve Jobs than Jobs himself was.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
"You know, we're going to make some mistakes along the way. But that's good -- at least decisions are being made along the way! When we make a mistake, we'll correct it."

Steve Jobs, 1997

Think about that while whining about inaccuracy, even obvious inaccuracy. Focus on -- is it a good film? Does it tell an interesting story in an interesting way? Did Kelso do a good Jobs? Looks pretty good to me so far, but what do I know.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
I wish the movie well.

Those that have read the official biography, watched One More Thing, and Pirates of Silicon Valley probably can point out the inaccuracies but maybe this movie is about bring more people into the Apple story than catering to people that have been following the store since 1984, or before.

Give it a chance. Bring your wife/husband/significant other that doesn't realize the impact the company has had on you. Maybe it will help them understand your passion for the company.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I hope they worked my suggestion into a scene: I wanted to see Kutcher/Jobs/Kelso sitting in 'the circle' sharing some grass with Woz, Bill Gates, and maybe Ballmer.

Ballmer could really use some.

:p

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
There is no mention of Xerox PARC where Apple got its graphical UI, and the Bill Gates relationship is nothing more than a one-sided phone call of Jobs yelling into the receiver.

lame

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Or MAYBE, they could have sat down with Woz, listened to HIS story, and actually created an accurate movie...

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Or MAYBE, they could have sat down with Woz, listened to HIS story, and actually created an accurate movie...

THIS... Woz is still here.. Why are they talking like we could never know what really happened because we weren't there... Woz was there.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
You could take the egomaniacal Jobs version of the story and spin it into a movie adding what you want along the way since he isn't here to correct the mistakes.

or

You could take the egomaniacal Woz version of the story and NOT spin it into a movie adding what you want along the way since he IS here to correct the mistakes.

Either way it is a loss for true fans of the story and how they came along. Being that half the fans of Apple are hipsters who will only like the movie ironically it was just easier for them to change what they want and pander to what the broad public wants to think is the way it happened.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC

I believe they tried that, and he wasn't interested. Instead, he chose to sit down with Sony about the movie coming out later this year.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Does anyone know how the other film is going? Is there a script yet? Casting rumours?

This one just seems like a movie of the week. Maybe something that would be on lifetime. Maybe I'd watch it late at night on netflix if I'm really bored.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back!

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
...and in the end its just a movie. The same way all the other "Jobs" and "Apple" movies that are out there, this just happens to have a big name attached to it.

And honestly Kutcher is right, its entertainment and im sure there were a tremendous amount of boring things during the duration of the early years at Apple...so they compounded them into nice events.
I dont know why Woz is getting up in arms about it, if he wants to make a movie about Apple and all that, I'm sure he has more than enough power, money, connections, and resources to make it happen.

should be entertaining. and MAYBE someone at apple will watch it and think well hell we're not doing much innovation anymore, maybe we should connect to our roots and wakeup...

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I wish the movie well.

Those that have read the official biography, watched One More Thing, and Pirates of Silicon Valley probably can point out the inaccuracies but maybe this movie is about bring more people into the Apple story than catering to people that have been following the store since 1984, or before.

Give it a chance. Bring your wife/husband/significant other that doesn't realize the impact the company has had on you. Maybe it will help them understand your passion for the company.

Or maybe not. :)

----------

Saw the trailer. It's a TV movie of the week kind of thing. So if you like movies made for TV you're in for a treat. If not...Read the book. ;)

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Sometimes real life is not that entertaining.

I refer you to "reality television" as an example.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
"You know, we're going to make some mistakes along the way. But that's good -- at least decisions are being made along the way! When we make a mistake, we'll correct it."

Steve Jobs, 1997

Think about that while whining about inaccuracy, even obvious inaccuracy. Focus on -- is it a good film? Does it tell an interesting story in an interesting way? Did Kelso do a good Jobs? Looks pretty good to me so far, but what do I know.
Exactly this.

For example after watching the Social Network, I think it probably wasn't a very accurate representation of events. To start with, Mark Zuckerberg certainly doesn't seem as social and sharp on the tongue in real life as he does in the movie. However, it was a movie that I enjoyed watching so I didn't really care.

I just hope I think the same about this movie after watching it.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
"Steve believed it was possible to do something impossible,"

This is incorrect. Steve believed it was possible to do something perceived as impossible.

If it was impossible, no one could do it, no matter how driven.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.