Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
works on my dad's 2013 BMW X1 and on my 2012 Mercedes S550.. never had an issue
Mine is a 2011. Apple probably fixed something for those with slighly older systems. Before, I could only see what was downloaded into the iPhone on the car display.

tcb9289

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks!

Thought I would revive this thread. Big changes in iOS 6.1! Upgraded my iPhone then plugged my iPhone 5 into my car (Ford Focus Microsoft Sync) and now it can access all songs in the cloud and you can browse ALL music on the phone itself AND on the car display. Nice!

Thanks for noting the update, your post was super helpful!

I tried out my newly updated iPhone 5, running 6.1, today, and as if by magic my car's USB input can see, charge, and play iCloud music from my phone! Before the update, my stereo could play downloaded tracks, but wouldn't charge. Another AWESOME new update is that the "Accessory Connected" splash scren has been disabled, so I can control the music.app from my phone, even when it's connected.

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
On this thread, can someone give me a bit of guidance on which Bluetooth to buy for connecting my iPhone 5 to car aux in.
I have a civic 2008 and it doesn't have built in Bluetooth.
The only option I have is a Bluetooth unit that I can connect to aux-in of my car. This way the iPhone 5 to aux is not via a wire.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
On this thread, can someone give me a bit of guidance on which Bluetooth to buy for connecting my iPhone 5 to car aux in.
I have a civic 2008 and it doesn't have built in Bluetooth.
The only option I have is a Bluetooth unit that I can connect to aux-in of my car. This way the iPhone 5 to aux is not via a wire.

Why would you?? Audio quality in most BTs is awful.

My car has BT audio, but I usually connect it trough USB cause BT audio quality is pretty lame.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Another AWESOME new update is that the "Accessory Connected" splash scren has been disabled, so I can control the music.app from my phone, even when it's connected.
This is the part that turned things around for me. It's so much easier looking for music on the iPhone screen. Siri search for music also works better now as well.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
There's no need. BT audio is worse even with compressed music. That said, plenty are happy with it. Do what works for you.

Why would you?? Audio quality in most BTs is awful.
Why would you assume that your preference is universal?

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I hope you are playing 16bit WAVs through your iphone/usb so you can hear the difference.

I'm not sure if it has to do with my car BTs and 4.0 low power emission, but the difference is quite noticeable even for files of plain 256.

I don't expect my car to emit sound as a B&W 685. But I don't like it to sound like an AM station neither.

Why would you assume that your preference is universal?

I don't understand I'm not assuming anything, on the contrary I'm asking why. Just stating a fact and asking a reason why would someone want to downgrade sound quality is not assuming. There are plenty of people giving up sound for the sake of mobility.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
gotta update a bit here:

With OS7, suddenly the iCloud music library works on my '09 VW GTi. I did a clean install of the OS on my iPhone 5, and decided not to copy my music directly to the device, and see if it would work. It did. Radio is a little sketchy, but the cloud music library works well.

For reference-my setup is a proprietary cable from the GTi, to a voltage adapter, and then finally a 30-pin to lightning adapter. The iPhone 5 charges, and plays as it should. Can control it from the steering wheel as before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.