Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Adding HBO Go is almost pointless. You can only get HBO Go if you subscribe to a TV package that includes HBO. So, this will in no way help any of us "cut the cord."

And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting even from several leagues.

Ur statement makes no sense. Obviously if u don't have HBO, HBO go would be "pointless" That's like me saying heated mirrors on a Ferrari are pointless for those of us that don't have Ferrari's.

I have HBO, therefore HBO Go is awesome for me. And Apple TV incorporating it is even more awesome.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Right, and record companies back in 2003 (when the iTunes Store launched with a measly 200,000 tracks total) were getting their bread buttered from physical CD sales.

The music industry would love a redo on that deal. Apple was the BIG winner there and now has domination over even how that industry prices their products. The video side has the benefit of hindsight. They don't want to replicate that scenario and find themselves as under Apple's domination. Why do we all think these deals are taking so long to materialize? It's not like the individual players like HBO do NOT want to maximize their revenues/distribution. They have learned from their music cousins' errors.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There's a convincing argument to be made to HBO that they could make MORE money by teaming up with Apple. It's up to Apple to prove it and convince them.

Apple would need to show them- and guarantee- the money... A reverse of a deal like Sprint struck with Apple to get the iPhone. Netflix pays up big time to strike the deals they get. Apple has the cash to do that too... But doesn't seem to be interested in doing that.

"Proving it" it would be easy if Apple would show them the money such that the risk of the wrath of the cable industry would be mitigated. And even if they would... What kerps a Comcast from raising broadband rates for the "higher bandwidth" users such as "these video streamers"?

I love the dream of it... But foresee the very real issues.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Watching mainstream American sports on the internet is atrocious... largely balkanized, independent services and they still black out local games! I tried NHL Center Ice a few years ago and it was $150-200, very poor quality, and I couldn't watch my home team.

MLB.TV is basically useless to me. I'm in the region that blacks out Rangers games, and since I watch probably 95% of the games (or part of games), cable is mandatory.

And that's fine. I watch a ton of football and baseball that it warrants it. My TV picture is excellent, and I believe that streaming everything would be detrimental to this. And I watch enough TV on enough different channels that I don't feel like I'm getting screwed too badly.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Not if Apple subsidizes the changeover. I could see Tim Cook promising to cover any lost revenues in cable subscribers with the subsidies decreasing as the revenues from Apple TV viewers ramp up. This way, they remove all risk from HBO. There's nothing for them to lose, and a MUCH broader audience to access.

That is how it would have to be done. And if so, where's Apple been? It's not like the cash hoard is just showing up now. And we've seen these cable tv killer rumors for what... about 3+ years now?

This is basically how Netflix has been doing their deals for several years now, so it's not like it's a new idea that only Apple could innovate now.

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Cool, but when will we see HBO Go on its own without a cable subscrip? I'd buy an Apple TV just for that. Until then I'll stick with torrents.

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I hate cable and hate how HBO is throttled by cable companies. Otherwise I'd be happy to pay for their content if I didn't get stuck with the rest of the crap ton of shows I would never watch.

I wonder if Apple could just buy one out and get able to host the content however they choose.

Cable conglomerates are horribly huge. I think if they were to buy one Dish Network is at a 16.5 Billion market cap. I think that's the smallest one I can think of.

David Sharpe

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
The only thing that would make this cool was if non-cable users could "order" a subscription a la carte from HBO, like you do with Hulu or Netfilx. If its just HBO Go, who cares?

Rumor is, that HBO is planning to this very thing to combat Netflix original programming.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
FINALLY.

I'll never understand how long this stuff takes. The Xbox has it, Roku has it, but not the AppleTV or the PS3... hopefully it doesn't take too long! :)

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
FINALLY.

I'll never understand how long this stuff takes. The Xbox has it, Roku has it, but not the AppleTV or the PS3... hopefully it doesn't take too long! :)

Apple, I have to imagine, is very worried about cannibalizing sales from the iTunes store. That's why we haven't seen Google Play or Amazon Prime Video on there.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I hate cable and hate how HBO is throttled by cable companies. Otherwise I'd be happy to pay for their content if I didn't get stuck with the rest of the crap ton of shows I would never watch.

Been able to do this on :apple:TV for years now. ITunes has HBO programming ready for rent. We just don't want to pay that much for it. We want it to cost about what it costs as part of our cable subscription (about $15/month) or less, without the cable TV subscription.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Been able to do this on :apple:TV for years now. ITunes has HBO programming ready for rent. We just don't want to pay that much for it. We want it to cost about what it costs as part of our cable subscription (about $15/month) or less, without the cable TV subscription.

Torrent.

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
...while still giving the required satt or cable company their sub fee too. Some people seem to be overlooking that little detail in the story. It's not kill the cable bill and get HBO on :apple:TV. It's keep paying for cable and add Apple on top.

PS3 (or insert other console of choice) + PS3 Media Server (free download) + Netflix Streaming + Kickass Torrents = Cable cut for ongoing fees of $7.99/mo. You get the convenience of on demand and supplement newer content with torrents and live streams (for sports). Voila.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
HBO would be very cool especially for UK viewers like me, but I wonder if Tim Cook has the charm like Steve had to get these major players on board..

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
What's better is using the login/password from a family member. Just as I do with Hulu plus.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
PS3 (or insert other console of choice) + PS3 Media Server (free download) + Netflix Streaming + Kickass Torrents = Cable cut for ongoing fees of $7.99/mo. You get the convenience of on demand and supplement newer content with torrents and live streams (for sports). Voila.

If the masses go that way, the creation of great new content will end. We all can't steal everything and yet expect more of what is being stolen to just keep on coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.