Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

100Years

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I recently purchased an ATV2 unit, and am planning to jailbreak it; however, I am not sure of one thing:

Right now, the unit has firmware 4.4.4 installed. I found this program called 'SeasonPass', but was not sure if it was safe to use. The program description says something about downloading the latest firmware, patching it, and then restoring via iTunes.

Is there a chance that this SeasonPass program would be unable to patch the latest firmware available for the ATV2?

Thanks in advance for any info!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I recently purchased an ATV2 unit, and am planning to jailbreak it; however, I am not sure of one thing:

Right now, the unit has firmware 4.4.4 installed. I found this program called 'SeasonPass', but was not sure if it was safe to use. The program description says something about downloading the latest firmware, patching it, and then restoring via iTunes.

Is there a chance that this SeasonPass program would be unable to patch the latest firmware available for the ATV2?

Thanks in advance for any info!

All you need to know about SeasonPass is here http://firecore.com/

The latest firmware for the Apple TV 2 is 6.1 and that jailbreak won't be out until sunday.

SeasonPass is only capable of jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 (5.1.1) and lower at moment. iOS 5.0.1 should still be being signed by Apple.

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
All you need to know about SeasonPass is here http://firecore.com/

The latest firmware for the Apple TV 2 is 6.1 and that jailbreak won't be out until sunday.

SeasonPass is only capable of jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 (5.1.1) and lower at moment. iOS 5.0.1 should still be being signed by Apple.

5.0.1 is still being signed I jailbroke an atv monday on frimware 5.0.1.

Lend27

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2004
signing does not effect jailbreaking.

if 5.01 is still signed you can restore to 5.01 and than jailbreak.

I have an ATV2. If I want to jailbreak when it is released hopefully Sunday, will there be instructions how to jailbreak an ATV2?
And if yes, what would it accomplish? What additional features, tweaks, apps etc would come with the jailbreak?

Thanks
Len

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012

that is true but with season pass it patches the firmware then restores so if apple isnt signing it is much more difficult.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008

Yes it does, because jailbreak isn't available for later version.

So if you can't restore to 5.0.1, you cannot jailbreak using existing tool.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes it does, because jailbreak isn't available for later version.

So if you can't restore to 5.0.1, you cannot jailbreak using existing tool.

I'm not an expert on ATV, seems indeed to be the case, ok so with next JB it will be possible for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.