Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Hey everybody,

I finally pulled the plug and am getting the new 27" iMac. My question is coming from a macbook pro I would like this new machine to basically feel like my mbp. Is there any downside from restoring my apps from migration assistant vs installing them all one at a time?

Any difference in speed of machine?

Will my mac still back up to my time machine if it has been used to restore another computer (or even just migration assistant)

I am going to keep both machines.

Thanks for your help!

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It is FAR easier to use Migration Ass't than to do it manually. In fact, use Setup Ass't, which is the first thing that fires up when you turn on the new Mac. If you get past that you create a user, and that can result in oddities once you migrate.

Before you migrate, make sure you have the old machine running OK. You don't want to migrate over a problem. And you may need to reenter some passwords and registration info for some services and applications, so keep that info handy. Migration Ass't works remarkably well; enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.