Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incubi26

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
I love reading the responses on these forums. It's entertaining. There is brand loyalty and there is a cult following. Some of the responses are unfortunately of the latter. People shouldn't take things so seriously and look at things with an open mind. Don't give yourself an heart attack.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
What was that about Android's ecosystem? And how their HUGE market share is somehow a benefit?

For example, Amazon sells over 60,000 different cases for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Sure - with an iPhone, you can also buy accessories at the corner bodega or gas station, but the popular Android phones have a thriving ecosystem.

For example, there are over 700,000 apps available at the Google Play store. Sure - the iStore has an additional 80,000 fart apps for a higher total, but every single important or popular app is available for Android.

Face it - mindshare is currently with Android. The trends are in place and accelerating. It's the ecosystem, stupid.

PS - I saw a good video on how to hack an old Palm Pixi, remove the wireless charging system, and install the wireless charging seamlessly and invisibly into a cool new phone. That cool new phone was the Galaxy S3. I'm currently scouring Craig's list for an old Palm Pixi.

It's the ecosystem, stupid.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The "others" category grows much larger than before, which is good for Apple - the loss share doesn't automatically goes to Samsung, as happened in mobile phones.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
I am amazed that people are amazed that Samsung is becoming so dominant. They are like Toyota: they make good products at all steps in the market.

What is the general feeling in the consumer market: Samsung are the best of the rest and they are a lot cheaper than Apple. That is why both grow: because most people want good, but cheap, whilst many others want the best as long as it is not ridiculously unaffordable.

Most Apple fanboys here (myself included) can judge the mood of the public because it is simply a less amplified version of our own views. It is with that in mind that I say that the last great innovation Apple made was the iPad. Yes we should all commend them and they did it with the iPhone and the iPod before that etc. But that is all semantics: without something new, their reputation as the best begins to fade. We all think the place is less than it was under SJ and so does the world. We all worry that it is no longer as innovative and so does the world. The market amplifies our concerns and we are worried that Apple is just going to be incremental. It's fine, because they make great stuff, but perhaps the revolution is over!!!!!!!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
In just three years iPad, Apple's tablet market share fell from 100% to 80% and now to 40%. There is little doubt that it will be at 20+% in a year just like this happened with iPhone.

Over time, the vast majority of consumers have rejected Apple products. Apple never even got double digit penetration in computers, after trying for decades. 9 people or more buy a regular computer before anybody ever buys a Mac.

With phones, Apples main business these days, people prefer Android phones 3 to 1 over iOS phones. This, despite the fact that iPhones are given away for free to any cheapskate who wants one, and despite the fact that iPhones are available for Billy Bob to buy at the local Wall Mart.

In the tablet space, it took a lot longer for credible competitors to appear. But by now, the trends are clear. Android will occupy the market, despite the various iOS tablets being available at all the national chain stores.

----------

and all the while Apple craps on their pro users by killing the Apple server and now the Mac Pro in Europe...

Apple doesn't give two sheets about pro users. They do not generate nearly enough profits. Apple is primarily a popular-price gadget company, and not any sort of high-end workstation company.

No need to cry about it - but the sooner you move on, the better.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
I think a more meaningful metric is comparing the total revenue of each manufacturer got from the tablets.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
What did you smoke in Disneyland that made you so delusional...:D
Your rant reminds me of Steve Ballmer who mocked iphone 5 years ago... .
Accept the fact and face the reality. You got floored because someone from Australia and China were holding ipad in disneyland doesn't mean Ipad dominates the world and also mars....
The fruit company is not going down but losing its shine..

Perhaps you should re-read my post. My problem is with the assumption that Samsung somehow outsold Asus in tablets. The fact that iPad is everywhere is a given, but Nexus 7 is also a fairly visible tablet. Galaxy Tabs must be pretty well hidden in people's drawers if anybody is buying them.

IDC are a bunch of hacks and their report is internally inconsistent. You can read all about it if you care to educate yourself.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/31/apple-ipad-tablet-market-share-idc/

Maybe you will be successful at reading comprehension on this article than you were on my post. :rolleyes:

----------

Ever heard of Google?

Ever heard of CNN Money / Fortune?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/31/apple-ipad-tablet-market-share-idc/

The rest of IDC's report is almost entirely guesswork. It says that Samsung shipped 7.9 million tablets -- up 263% -- but doesn't say how it got those numbers. Certainly not from Samsung, which hasn't released unit sales figures for any of its devices in years.

As for the rest of IDC's findings, they just get more bizarre. The press release says Barnes & Noble (BKS) "gained traction" in the tablet market, but the spreadsheet shows Nook sales falling year over year. Even more startling, the release says Asus lost share, while the spreadsheet shows Asus' market share nearly tripling on sales that grew

Given the level of guesswork and sloppy reporting we see here, you should probably take the specificity of headlines like this ...with, as they say, a grain of salt.

IDC's report does not fair well against peer review.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Perhaps you should re-read my post. My problem is with the assumption that Samsung somehow outsold Asus in tablets. The fact that iPad is everywhere is a given, but Nexus 7 is also a fairly visible tablet. Galaxy Tabs must be pretty well hidden in people's drawers if anybody is buying them.

There is a difference, Samsung tablets are sold on a lot more countries than Nexus or Kindle tablets

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I love how the guy who joined in Feb 2013 (as in today) and probably 5 minutes ago, is so anti-apple...

It's called astro-turfing. It's the tech-forum equivalent of what IDC does with these estimates in the financial world. They are manipulating stock prices.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
There is a difference, Samsung tablets are sold on a lot more countries than Nexus or Kindle tablets

I agree on Kindle, but Nexus 7 is sold in 14 countries right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7

The only market Samsung could have sold to that was significant was China. But bear in mi d that in mainland China you have a bunch of local manufacturers like "Rainbow 6" making tablets that are for more affordable than what Samsung produces.

Again, Samsung needs to report numbers if they want credit for them. Fortune/CNN Money basically tore that IDC report to shreds because nowhere in the report do they offer the data they collected to back up the numbers they claim.

----------

Are you accusing IDC or Gartner of stock manipulation?

I never mentioned Gartner. They a far more thorough in what they report. I take Gartner as a more reliable source. But IDC has an agenda. Either that agenda is to make their new estimates be in line with their previous forecasts so they can claim they were correct. What better way to be right than to make up the numbers yourself? Or IDC or some of their analysts are indirectly holding positions in stocks that they want to make money on. The other possibility is that they are simply really bad at what they do.

I do not put IDC in the same league as Gartner. Their reports for the past few years have made some terrible assumptions. Their new reports only compound the errors by assuming previously forecasted growth on previously fabricated guesswork numbers.

But that is my opinion. You are entitled to your own. I cannot be sure of their motivations, but their reports don't pass the sniff test.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
IDC doesn't provide any information on the previous performance of the "proprietary tools and research products" they use to arrive at these estimates. Not to question the numbers, but how do we know that they haven't overestimated or underestimated Android tablet sales, since no manufacturer reports actual numbers sold? Has any other information corroborated their past estimates? Do we have any other information about the accuracy of their numbers, other than CNN Money's comments that their numbers lack internal consistency (ASUS's share slipped in spite of having the highest YOY growth, and B&N gained market share in spite of having a YOY sales decline)?

Last edited:

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
For example, Amazon sells over 60,000 different cases for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Sure - with an iPhone, you can also buy accessories at the corner bodega or gas station, but the popular Android phones have a thriving ecosystem.

Amazon has over 60,000 different cases for the S3?? LOL. What did you do go to Amazon and type in "s3 cases", get over 60,000 results and assume that that meant amazon sells over 60,000 different cases for the s3? If not please explain how you figured that one out.

For example, there are over 700,000 apps available at the Google Play store. Sure - the iStore has an additional 80,000 fart apps for a higher total, but every single important or popular app is available for Android.

One, the person you're replying to didn't talk about number of apps, so nice job moving goalposts.

Second, your ridiculous "80,000 fart apps" number is almost as laughable as IDCs silly numbers. Almost.

Face it - mindshare is currently with Android. The trends are in place and accelerating. It's the ecosystem, stupid.

Yes it is the ecosystem, stupid. And the ecosystem is iOS. And all you've done is avoid the points that were made.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's for the same reason that iOS apps sell better than Android apps. Figure it out.

I do enjoy your Baghdad Bob stick though.
I have figured it out. People actually use their iPads. Android tablets are off collecting dust somewhere. :D

Samsung has no problem giving us press releases on Galaxy smartphones sales. If their tablet shipments are growing so much why aren't they telling is about it?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
IDC is a joke.

IDC cuts its Windows Phone forecast by 40% in just 181 days

In 2011 IDC predicted Windows Phone share would be over 20% by 2015. In mid-2012 they predicted 19% by 2016 (overtaking iOS for #2 spot), but then by the end of 2012 they dropped that number to 11%.

People should take there reports with a huge grain of salt, but reporting iPad losing market share is just too good for page clicks.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
No, a 260% increase in shipments. A slight difference. What apple ships, they sell whereas what Samsung ships does not necessarily "sell" to the consumer.

I wonder where they keep these tablets that Samsung keeps shipping and nobody buys? How silly can Samsung be to keep building them and just stockpiling them somewhere. Yet Samsung had record profits. Imaging how much more they would have made if they actually sold any of these tablets instead of just shipping them somewhere to sit in a warehouse?

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
I wonder where they keep these tablets that Samsung keeps shipping and nobody buys? How silly can Samsung be to keep building them and just stockpiling them somewhere. Yet Samsung had record profits. Imaging how much more they would have made if they actually sold any of these tablets instead of just shipping them somewhere to sit in a warehouse?

same place those WMDs that were never found are

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Area 51.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I think people are misunderstanding what many are saying. No one is saying that Samsung could not have shipped and sold many tablets, we're just wondering why idcs guess (and that's all it is) is gold.

Remember when macrumors posted the article that att announced record iPhone sales? And how all the anti applers started saying that's not what att said! Knowing full well that logic and a little calculation would get you there(and of course Apple did have record sales at att) But guessing or interpreting what att meant wasn't allowed.

Now the same people are saying idcs guess is sound. Seems there's flip floppers on both sides although no one can produce a single flip flopper on the Apple side for some reason...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Remember when macrumors posted the article that att announced record iPhone sales? And how all the anti applers started saying that's not what att said! Knowing full well that logic and a little calculation would get you there(and of course Apple did have record sales at att) But guessing or interpreting what att meant wasn't allowed.

Now the same people are saying idcs guess is sound. Seems there's flip floppers on both sides although no one can produce a single flip flopper on the Apple side for some reason...

Can you name one flip-flopper? I know I was pretty much the only one stating quite adamantly that that's not what ATT said. Because it wasn't.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Can you name one flip-flopper? I know I was pretty much the only one stating quite adamantly that that's not what ATT said. Because it wasn't.

Are you stating now that idcs numbers are valid? If so, you'd be one flip flopper

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.