Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
MR needs to add a confirmation dialog to the "Submit Reply" button that says "Are you really sure that you want to post this? Did you double-check for spelling errors, overuse of smilies, misuse of memes and overall stupidity? And, are you sure your question hasn't been asked and answered in a previous post or thread (refers to overall stupidity)?"

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So, I saved my iPhone 5's 6.0.2 shsh with the latest TinyUmbrella. Now, when I try to upgrade to 6.1, I get the following message: "The iPhone 'xxxx' could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build". Any help? I really don't want to do an OTA update.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So, I saved my iPhone 5's 6.0.2 shsh with the latest TinyUmbrella. Now, when I try to upgrade to 6.1, I get the following message: "The iPhone 'xxxx' could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build". Any help? I really don't want to do an OTA update.

I'm assuming you've modified your host file before. Edit your host file by putting a # in front of the 74.208.10.249 line. The host file should be located in your etc folder. After that, save it and try your restore again.

ali3a

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
error 3194

i got error 3194 when i try to update 6.1 to my ipad 4..?
any idea...plz

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm assuming you've modified your host file before. Edit your host file by putting a # in front of the 74.208.10.249 line. The host file should be located in your etc folder. After that, save it and try your restore again.

That worked perfectly. Afterwards, should I change the host file back to what it was? Does it matter?

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011

I did it thru terminal

Thanks

Last edited:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Okay, can someone make sure I did this right?

I was previously on the OTA 6.1, so I plugged my phone into iTunes, and clicked restore. iTunes downloaded a file for about 10 min from the servers, so I am guessing it reinstalled 6.1 (but this time not from OTA).

So I think I have iTunes 6.1 on the phone, and before I restored my settings via iCloud, I opened tinyumbrella and clicked "save SHSH." This only took a few seconds, and left a file on my desktop (I changed the file location) that says:

"_______-iphone5,2-6.1.shsh" wherein there is a string of numbers where the underscore is.

Is that the right way to save the SHSH in preparation for jailbreak? Anything else I need to save? I am confused since the shsh file seems so small. I thought it would be bigger.

Also, do I need to resave the SHSH file after I restore my settings via iCloud?

Anything else I need to save? I recall there was some way to save an ipsw file or something like that via itunes, but that was years ago when I was on my 3GS.

Thank you for your help!

**also, after the restore, itunes said that my carrier settings have updated and gave me the choice of updating them. I clicked yes. Is that ok for jailbreak?

Last edited:

stunter2b

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Well I hope I did this correctly I updated via iTunes not restored?

After it updated me to 6.1 I backed it up the saved my shsh blob with tiny umbrella and doubled check it was saved in my user folder and it was I did how ever get some errors, something about "Request SHSH from Cydia" is currently set. This can cause issues if you are trying to save current SHSHs as Cydia is no longer able to reliably proxy SHSH requests. Please change your settings in the advance tab and click the apply changes bottom or use the edit menu to apply changes.. So with that error not sure if it was saved correctly anyone???

FlingZXC

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
i didnt update through itunes , what to do now help please !
Edit : I went to download ios 6.1 through computer . its in ipsw ext . I went to shift control "check for update" and click the ipsw file. And it just restore the file . Am i doing it correctly ?

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
i didnt update through itunes , what to do now help please !
Edit : I went to download ios 6.1 through computer . its in ipsw ext . I went to shift control "check for update" and click the ipsw file. And it just restore the file . Am i doing it correctly ?

Yes, afterwards make sure you save your SHSH/blbs for 6.1 see the many postings in the forum how to do that

Last edited:

wake8260

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
"Back Up Now" button greyed out

Sorry in advance for such elementary question, but I'm trying to back up my iPhone 5 6.1 b/c I updated it OTA instead of via iTunes. I'm getting a greyed out 'back up now' button. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Sorry in advance for such elementary question, but I'm trying to back up my iPhone 5 6.1 b/c I updated it OTA instead of via iTunes. I'm getting a greyed out 'back up now' button. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.

Where is the back up button greyed out?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Both under File --> Devices --> Back Up and in the Summery section under Manually Back Up and Restore.

Never seen that before.

I would turn on iCloud backup on your phone, back it up through there, then DFU restore it to 6.1. Then, restore to iCloud backup on the phone, and then if you prefer using iTunes backups, turn off iCloud backups and retry the iTunes backup and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.