Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I like the SGIII and the interface is much better with 4.1, however the one reason I did not stick with it, and IMO the one reason I see many going back to Apple is the screen, not the size the the Retina.

Everything about the GSIII was great but the Blue Hue over 1/2 of the screen and the brightness was too dull, other than that a great little phone.

It just sucks me back in bc no one has built a phone close to what Apple has.

Anyone else feel the same?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I tried the HTC One X before the iPhone 5 and I still like the iPhone better but the One X screen is almost just as good as the iPhone. I looked at the GS3 in stores and didn't like the screen on it so I just stuck with the iPhone even though I would have preferred the larger screen. I see quite a few offers on craigslist to trade a GS3 plus cash for an iPhone 5 and I have considered it but I think I will wait till the S4 comes out. If the S4 has a better screen and the iPhone 5S has the same 4 inch screen it may finally be time to switch but I do prefer iOS. If they come out with a 4.5 inch or larger iPhone this year I will get it for sure.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Samsung cranks up too much saturation and contrast on GS3. It's a lot easier on the eyes for iPhone.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
I went back to the iPhone 5 but miss the s3 screen for videos just hands down a better experience for me for my YouTube videos and any loaded content off the web. I don't think samsungs screen are over saturated epically with the five having more saturation than the 4s witch is good cause the 4s screen looked blah next to the s3.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Everything about the GSIII was great but the Blue Hue over 1/2 of the screen and the brightness was too dull, other than that a great little phone.

I couldn't stand the screen on the S3.

The blue/green tint was awful.

xlarge.jpg

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I have the GS3. I enjoy it thoroughly. I realized how much I missed playing around with a new phone and "customizing" interfaces etc (ive had every iPhone - on release day - except for the 5) . After using the S3 for - like 10 min, I didnt miss the "retina" screen. Too much to learn and play with. But, Ill be honest, its still not an iPhone.

Regardless, Im waiting for a WIDER iphone. I LOVE the wider S3 (along with user defined custom-ability) and wont be back until Apple makes a wider phone. Thats all I ask.

Funny thing is, that now, EVEN the BLACKBERRY Z10 (with their "new" design) has gone wider and even looks like they jumped iPhone on any wider "iPhone looking design". It looks like a wider iPhone ! ! ! !! !

At this rate, im starting to hope Apple comes out with the next 2 generation iphones - same width - and first with more memory - for the first two years, then a different color for the next 2 years - to suck in the fan boys for 4 more years.

THEN maybe we'll see a wider iPhone. And THEN Ill come back - after the "milking" of the fanboys is done.

http://crackberry.com/verizon-blackberry-z10-shows-its-beautiful-face

Last edited:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sitting next to my buddy in my night class tonight i could see the blue/green tint on his S3 screen from my seat! So many S3s around campus it's crazy!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
For some reason Samsung TVs s well as GSIII are all off in screen callibration. Very annoyimng when using your cellphone. Callibration in Iphone5 is remarkably good.

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I am coming to iPhone 5 from S3. I was a die-hard android user and has S and S2 and S3. But within 4 months of using S3 I finally gave up the android route and came to iPhone 5.
The reason I got saturated with android is that the deployment of upgrades to the OS is like chatter chirping noise here and there. Some countries get it some dont. Some get it very delayed. And then starts the weekend activity of GalNet roms or MIUI roms and waiting for Saturday to flash load a ROM just to get the features that you should have got by default in first place. These ROM kitchens and ROM cooks as they are called - I have tremendous respect for them - but not all the roms are perfect. Some hog battery some have errors and even mess up basic operation of speaker phone (you have to tap mute and unmute once for speaker to work or some thing like that. This is what the unofficial roms do to your phone. And then sometimes you see that within 5 hours your phone is almost down to 2%. So there you are surprised with your phone out of juice in half day.
I remember every weekend I flash a rom just to keep my phone updated or hoping that some previous errors would now be rectified. So it's more of flashing formatting setting up than actually using the phone.

Finally I got fedup and went to iPhone. I am enjoying the "what my phone is supposed to do" part of my phone now and not just setups.

Of course if you come from android, there are many things that will appear in uncustomizable but the joy of things working right out of the box is much more pleasing. eg: one touch and what you are playing or doing is on your large TV with sound through your 5.1 via appletv - one touch that's it. No tweaks no setups no patches nothing.

I am loving it.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I had a white S3 on VZW for a month or so, and ended up moving to an iPhone 5 in late October. I personally thought the screen on the S3 was gorgeous. Just as good as the Retina display on the iPhone. But that's just me. I also loved using the camera with that huge screen. And, of course, browsing the net was a blast. But ultimately the size started to bother me. It felt really nice in hand, but at the end of the day it was just too big. I'm the type that prefers to just throw my phone in my pocket and go, and the S3 made that difficult. I still prefer Android to iOS. But the form factor of the iPhone 5 is more my style. I think both are fantastic in their own way.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I am coming to iPhone 5 from S3. I was a die-hard android user and has S and S2 and S3. But within 4 months of using S3 I finally gave up the android route and came to iPhone 5.
The reason I got saturated with android is that the deployment of upgrades to the OS is like chatter chirping noise here and there. Some countries get it some dont. Some get it very delayed. And then starts the weekend activity of GalNet roms or MIUI roms and waiting for Saturday to flash load a ROM just to get the features that you should have got by default in first place. These ROM kitchens and ROM cooks as they are called - I have tremendous respect for them - but not all the roms are perfect. Some hog battery some have errors and even mess up basic operation of speaker phone (you have to tap mute and unmute once for speaker to work or some thing like that. This is what the unofficial roms do to your phone. And then sometimes you see that within 5 hours your phone is almost down to 2%. So there you are surprised with your phone out of juice in half day.
I remember every weekend I flash a rom just to keep my phone updated or hoping that some previous errors would now be rectified. So it's more of flashing formatting setting up than actually using the phone.

Finally I got fedup and went to iPhone. I am enjoying the "what my phone is supposed to do" part of my phone now and not just setups.

Of course if you come from android, there are many things that will appear in uncustomizable but the joy of things working right out of the box is much more pleasing. eg: one touch and what you are playing or doing is on your large TV with sound through your 5.1 via appletv - one touch that's it. No tweaks no setups no patches nothing.

I am loving it.

I couldn't agree more. I do like to think of myself as a power user and am not scared of ROMs, rooting, setting up. But it gets tiring after the 5th rom in a week. I remember trying so many roms, and it being my primary phone, I had problems where the contact page of the phone was bugging and FCing, however that was my last opened screen on the phone.app, so I couldn't make an important call until i got home and flashed a new rom.

I think an android is fun to play with and customise, being far superior in this aspect, but as a primary phone, i need the reliability of iOS.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
I hate the blue tint on my iPhone 5. I guess everyone has a preference. The S3 is more vibrant. I guess it's all how you look at it.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
The natural colors of the iPhone displays are so much better than Samsung's oversaturated messy screens. It literally strains your eyes when I stare at it too long.

I hope Apple keeps using an IPS screen and if they want to make a larger screen iPhone, keep using IPS.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I had an S III for about a week then came back to my 4S ONLY because of all of iOS/Apple devices I have that just work well together. I've since upgraded to the 5 but am looking to trade my 4S for an S III.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The natural colors of the iPhone displays are so much better than Samsung's oversaturated messy screens. It literally strains your eyes when I stare at it too long.

I hope Apple keeps using an IPS screen and if they want to make a larger screen iPhone, keep using IPS.
I agree. The iPhone 5 screen is absolutely beautiful and the colors are amazing. Even better than the 4S was.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Coming back to iPhone 5 after trying the Nexus 4 for a week myself. I liked aspects of Android's current state, but for as much as iOS feels "old" -- it just works, and I wasn't getting that same feel on the Nexus.

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
I had a white S3 on VZW for a month or so, and ended up moving to an iPhone 5 in late October. I personally thought the screen on the S3 was gorgeous. Just as good as the Retina display on the iPhone. But that's just me. I also loved using the camera with that huge screen. And, of course, browsing the net was a blast. But ultimately the size started to bother me. It felt really nice in hand, but at the end of the day it was just too big. I'm the type that prefers to just throw my phone in my pocket and go, and the S3 made that difficult. I still prefer Android to iOS. But the form factor of the iPhone 5 is more my style. I think both are fantastic in their own way.

You need to get your eyes checked, how could you miss the pentiles?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
It's a tough call to make sometimes. I had the iP5, and currrently have the GS3 and stopped at the Verizon store to return a case I didn't need. Stopped at the IP5 again and was quickly reminded why I like the phone, it was the screen, but the brightness and clarity not the size.

At this point I am at a crossroads, of screen size vs contrast of the screen. I am of the mind set I will just wait until the iP5S arrives, but is it in 4-5 months or 6-7 months from now. If we are looking at WWDC and say a June/July launch then I could likely ride it out, but if its fall then its a tough call.

Will Apple actually put anything into the iP5S that is worth waiting, and I don't mean the A7 processor, that won't such a big jump, but NFC, bigger battery, bigger screen (doubtful I'm sure), etc. I have upgrades available in April and will not pay retail for a new phone right now, at least NOT Apple retail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.