Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
So according to you, the rumored iPhone Plus with a 4.9-inch 264 ppi screen becomes the budget iPhone and the smaller-screen iPhone 5 or 5S becomes the premium phone. Call me stupid but to me that makes no sense.

According to me? Of course not. I was citing the rumors of a larger budget iPhone which were floating around like this one. I don't have a clue why they would do that, honestly. I was replying to the comment that a 5 inch 264ppi phone would be out of place among the competition, stating that it wouldn't be out of place if it wasn't trying to compete with other flagship devices.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
That's why Apple will quadruple the PPI, giving it 528 ppi. source

Maybe my vision sucks, but I can't see any pixels on my iPhone display... What's the point of making the PPI that high? Drain battery, require more GPU/CPU sources..?

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I'd buy straight away. Although I've got the iPhone 5, it's still too small for me personally.

I've heard several people saying that they're moving to the Galaxy when their contracts end quite simply because of the bigger screen.

I don't see why Apple wouldn't do this....they can manage different computer screen sizes...

matsukez

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
I'd buy straight away. Although I've got the iPhone 5, it's still too small for me personally.

I've heard several people saying that they're moving to the Galaxy when their contracts end quite simply because of the bigger screen.

I don't see why Apple wouldn't do this....they can manage different computer screen sizes...

I love the way the iPhone 5 looks and feels but I have heard people express the same sentiments regarding getting the Galaxy. People have said it looks strange when you use the Galaxy with it's big screen and size and then use an iPhone which looks more smaller and concentrated.

I loved iPhone and the way it looks but I think there is a market out there that would like iPhone with a larger screen.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I would not consider "progress" when content is smaller. You can't argue that soft keyboard buttons will be bigger: easier to type. And text will be bigger: icon labels, web sites, ebooks, movies.

I don't necessarily want more content to be displayed. I want things easier to read. On my iMac I have highest resolution available 2560 x 1440. But instead I prefer 1920 x 1080.

Bigger screens always easier to read - no brainer.

What you gain in easy to read, due to decreased pixel density, you lose in reading experience due to decreased clarity & sharpness in text and in the content displayed. So even though a 4.9 inch 264ppi iPhone would be easier to read, the content will not look as nice.

At the end of the day, Apple will do what they do of course, but I prefer they at least remain at 326ppi.

Assuming this rumor is true, it would seem awkward that Apple is decreasing pixel density on their flagship product, while the Android camp is increasing theirs to over 400ppi. The Galaxy S4 is rumored to have a 440ppi screen. You & I both know, right or wrong, Apple critics, and possibly fans, will have a field day with this.

rayleterleir

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
A lot of people here seemed to be opposed to Apple giving you the choice of a bigger screen simply because they see it as Apple "following the crowd" or "caving in". Is that really a bad thing? If Apple give people what they want they'd make more money right? I'm A dyed-in-the-wool Android fan who just received a 4th gen iPad for my birthday. And after 2 days of using it I tell you this: If Apple go ahead and make a 5" iPhone, my Note 2 would be out the door like that.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
What's the point of a bigger display that doesn't display more information, since it has the same number of pixels? Everything would just be bigger, you couldn't fit more onto the screen.

In that case, is this bigger iPhone for older people who have trouble seeing small characters?

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Reason I don't find the Galaxy Note ridiculous is because no one mocks someone for carrying a pocketable moleskine notebook, and a Note is virtually identical in size to that moleskin. In fact the Galaxy Note with their rather fine crafted and thin leather case even makes it look like a moleskin.

Ultra-Thin-Leather-Mobile-Case-Flip-Cover-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-I9220-N7000.jpg

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
"Mockups of a 4.94-Inch 'iPhone Plus' Show Why a Larger iPhone Might Make Sense"

Nope, it simply doesn't makes sense. Only if you would like to rebuild an iPad into an iPhone. For me a phone is a phone, it shouldn't be 'big'. I'm quite happy about the size of the iPhone5 as it is now. If I would like to play table tennis I'll use a real table tennis blade for it, not some app turning my over sized phone into a table tennis blade.

It's time for Apple to keep on building products where 'they' believe in that will be big in the future, not what the masses want today. This is what made Apple Big, by following the masses will make Apple just an regular player over time.

Talking about it, I don't recall Apple has come up with a 'revolutionary' device since Steve Jobs died few years ago. Makes me wonder.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
The thing is, I bet all of you use your phone more for social networks, emails and apps, rather than actually talking on it, it's now morphed into a computer with a phone option, I actually love the size of screen on the s111, my eye sight is getting worse and I have to hold the screen away from me, and I hate wearing glasses ! So if Apple made an iPhone with a screen the same or slightly smaller than an s111 I would sell my 4s tomorrow .

PadreQuevedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Seattle
I am so glad I moved away from IOS environment. To me iPhone is dead.

Being able to use uTorrent, multi windows, Swiftkey Flow, Sphere camera, widgets (awesome), FM, Digital TV, NFC (control and download pictures from my digital camera), TecTile, Micro SD, removable battery, connect my USB flash drive and access my files....I just love this kind of versatility.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'll take a iPhone the size of the Note 2.

Why? Because in my eyes, I'd rather carry a Note 2 than my iPhone and iPad. I rarely talk on my phone, and if I do I'm either texting or making a quick call. Plus, I'm 6'3, so my hands are big, so the Note 2 feels fine.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
What's the point of a bigger display that doesn't display more information, since it has the same number of
pixels? Everything would just be bigger, you couldn't fit more onto the screen.

In that case, is this bigger iPhone for older people who have trouble seeing small characters?

That'll be me then ! It's called choice, covering all people's disabilities, like my bad eyesight. You'll be old one day sonny !

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
The thing is, I bet all of you use your phone more for social networks, emails and apps, rather than actually talking on it, it's now morphed into a computer with a phone option, I actually love the size of screen on the s111, my eye sight is getting worse and I have to hold the screen away from me, and I hate wearing glasses ! So if Apple made an iPhone with a screen the same or slightly smaller than an s111 I would sell my 4s tomorrow .

Nope, I use my iPhone primarily for making phone calls....Yes, when sitting in a train, I check my phone for e-mails as well, but for e-mailing of messaging the iPhone is more then big enough to work on it.

For a bit more serious work I don't do anything on the iPhone, will not chance when Apple would come with an iPhone 5 or 6 inch even. For that I'm using my iPad or even better, my Mac Pro.

Unless Apple will come up with a device that can deal with usb attachments, will accept whatever the consumer would like to put on it, will accept uTorrent, in short, a device where the user is the boss, not Apple.

----------

That'll be me then ! It's called choice, covering all people's disabilities, like my bad eyesight. You'll be old one day sonny !

Respect, of course choice matters. But as long, for me, the iPhone isn't capable of doing all the stuff I would like to do with it I don't think bigger sizes would be so much better... it's a close step towards having an iPad in your hands i.m.h.o.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I'll take a iPhone the size of the Note 2.

Why? Because in my eyes, I'd rather carry a Note 2 than my iPhone and iPad. I rarely talk on my phone, and if I do I'm either texting or making a quick call. Plus, I'm 6'3, so my hands are big, so the Note 2 feels fine.

That is the one reason I think I could like a larger phone, I would not mind a tablet yet I really do not need a tablet and phone so if the phone was a bit larger it would do a good job, I was seriously looking at the note line because of that.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apple,. you listening ? make this happen, now, announce its release this year, and ill buy an iPhone again in an instant, my upgrade is due in June, but if this was announced id go Sim only until it launched.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
"Mockups of a 4.94-Inch 'iPhone Plus' Show Why a Larger iPhone Might Make Sense"

Nope, it simply doesn't makes sense. Only if you would like to rebuild an iPad into an iPhone. For me a phone is a phone, it shouldn't be 'big'. I'm quite happy about the size of the iPhone5 as it is now. If I would like to play table tennis I'll use a real table tennis blade for it, not some app turning my over sized phone into a table tennis blade.

It's time for Apple to keep on building products where 'they' believe in that will be big in the future, not what the masses want today. This is what made Apple Big, by following the masses will make Apple just an regular player over time.

Talking about it, I don't recall Apple has come up with a 'revolutionary' device since Steve Jobs died few years ago. Makes me wonder.

Well I believe that you will soon be able to fly a passenger plane with iPhone! Yep there's an app for that too, or rather its possible, just won't be allowed, what more of a revolution can a square/ oblong device become, other than sizes and looks, software comes on in leaps and bounds as r&d shows, its just you lot are so impatient, you get bored and want the next best thing, never content!

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
That is the one reason I think I could like a larger phone, I would not mind a tablet yet I really do not need a tablet and phone so if the phone was a bit larger it would do a good job, I was seriously looking at the note line because of that.

When I travel, I need to make PowerPoint's and type out document's. Currently right now, I take photo's on my iPhone, then get back to my hotel and create the PowerPoint's.

Before I leave for a trip though, I'll have the PowerPoint and documents almost completed and just need to plug in photo's or information, so it would be easier to be able to have all this on the phone and just plug in photo's or information on the go. Granted I can have Keynotes and DocsToGo on my iPhone now, just the size I feel isn't big enough to hassle with.

Ever since I seen the Note 2 at a bar, it's just been on my mind that would be a perfect size for an iPhone.

I don't see why Apple just doesn't release a bigger iPhone, I'm sure it would attract more customers.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
its just you lot are so impatient, you get bored and want the next best thing, never content!

Well speak for yourself mate. I'm not bored or impatient. I'm just noticing that Apple hasn't come up with anything new since Steve Jobs died.

I don't say they need to come up with something revolutionary but when putting this in the context that Apple have turned into a company building products for the masses and doesn't come up with something entirely new is interesting enough to mention since coming up with new devices was almost a trademark hold by Apple in the Steve Jobs era.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I just printed out the mock imagines comparing the iPhone 5 and the iPhone Plus, it's around the same size as the Galaxy S3, which I wouldn't mind either. It's like the perfect size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.