Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bowblade.jpg
At Macworld/iWorld this afternoon, one company was demonstrating an archery-based iPhone accessory, the BowBlade, which was inspired by movies like The Hunger Games.

The BowBlade is designed to look and feel like a traditional bow and arrow with one caveat - there's an iPhone attached. The iPhone goes at the front of the device, the bow is extended, and a trigger at the back fires a shot. When the trigger is fired, a stylus tip touches the screen.

BowBlade works with 35 different apps, including titles like Star Battalion, Final Space, Real Shooter, and Nerf Blaster Challenge.

Various games incorporate extra features like the iPhone's camera and augmented reality to create real world targets, or the iPhone's gyroscope and accelerometer for aiming and firing. Our sister site TouchArcade has a video of the BowBlade in action:

The four pound version of the BowBlade being demonstrated at Macworld was a prototype, but the company has pre-orders available for $185. Shipping will begin in April.

Article Link: Macworld/iWorld 2013: The BowBlade is an Archery Accessory for the iPhone

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe I'm not getting it right... But since this is to be used as a bow n' arrow accessory for games, wouldn't the iPhone's screen be far too small to see anything on it when you're using the bow and arrow?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"The BowBlade is designed to look and feel like a traditional bow and arrow"

It seems to achieve neither... but oh well, at least it's fun to see entrepreneurs get creative!

(The idea of playing sci-fi Star Battalion on a little screen stuck on the tip of a simulated stone-age bow is surreal. So is the release mechanism.... looks like you don't actually let go of the string, but do something with the hand next to the phone. And the action is not via Bluetooth if there's that little "stylus" that mechanically touches the screen! This is some mad science here. I don't see the "blade" part yet, but nothing would surprise me!)

Last edited:

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Maybe I'm not getting it right... But since this is to be used as a bow n' arrow accessory for games, wouldn't the iPhone's screen be far too small to see anything on it when you're using the bow and arrow?

+10000000

Interesting idea, but terrible execution. This was not thought out properly at all.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
looks like you don't actually let go of the string
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Didn't look like he ever released the string. WTF? It's been a long time since I shot an arrow out of a real bow, but I remember that being able to release and fire was a pretty crucial step in the process.

Still, maybe I'm missing something about how it works. I could see how it could be fun. Especially if the augmented reality mode could become some kind of laser-tag type game.

----------

Better video that shows it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yxw7lyVAGdg#!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Just make sure you don't insert an arrow on it unless you want a big O on your iPhone screen :p

Ppq

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
oh my god

firing gun / throwing snowballs with bow simulator. priceless

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Firing a stylus at my phone. What could possible go wrong. Remember Wii Remote vs. Plasma screens :)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Jeez, it's like somebody superglued my palm to my face. I could barely see the video from between my fingers. Typing is harder too.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
185US$ for THAT? Not even for overpriced medical use.

Someone should give him 20$ for the idea and slap another 20$ in his face for not hiring engineers and people who actually do archery to do the prototyping.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Not buying it until it actually flings my iPhone at the target.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Someone should give him 20$ for the idea and slap another 20$ in his face for not hiring engineers and people who actually do archery to do the prototyping.

To be fair, whilst reading this I was thinking "great another pointless $500+ accessory". Looks like it only half lived up to my expectations!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bowblade? That sounds like a real weapon. A very dangerous weapon. Like a knifegun, or a bombfork.

Mike1984

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010

No. The iPhone screen is actually smaller then an archery sight, that you'd add to a bow:

http://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1359724696&sr=1-7

But, she's not holding that bow right, her extended arm is locked, not good.
Shock, model not a real archer!

----------

It looks like real weapon but I think the problem with it is that we can not handle it for a long time.

Yes, how much pull weight is needed?
50-80 pounds, like a real hunting bow?

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Katniss would have died at the Cornucopia if she learned to shoot on this...:D

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
For $185, go buy yourself a real bow and arrow, some bales of hay and go out and learn how to really shoot a bow and arrow. You know, like learning a skill in the outdoors. Amazing what crap people think will sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.