Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdettogni

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Awkward

The awkward moment when everyone is more excited about the next samsung galaxy, and not about the next iPhone. Right?

The next samsung galaxy is rumored to have an AMOLED with 441 ppi. An octa core chip, etc...

According to this the next iPhone would be very similar to the current one or you could have a bigger version with lower screen resolution.

Dark times for Apple!

I always thought that I would replace my lumia 800 by an iPhone, but samsung is taking the first spot.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
If this is true, by listening to half of what people are saying wil be the biggest bomb of all time. Yes i want a 5" iphone but by the time it comes out why would i buy a sub hd phone when competitors (which are catching up in all departments now) are releasing full hd. Sell it with super duper retina (or whatever they want to call it) and you will see a winner (assuming other areas of the phone are also upgraded)

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Apple has to react to competition

I have an Ip5. I went from the Ip4 to the Galaxy S3. I really liked the S3. The screen and form factor were great. I did not find it too big at all. The only reason I came back to the IP5 was for IOS and the Apple EcoSystem. I will not be jumping to the Galaxy S4 when it comes out, but I will be in the minority. This S4 is simply going to be stunning. Android now has 70% market share. You just cannot ignore this. There is a data base that can swing to the S4 using a system they are familiar with. The latest Android OS is pretty good. I think Apple must increase screen size and pixel density to match the S4 threat or they are going to lose an amazing number of customers. The app devs will jump through flaming hoops for Apple if they have to accomodate different scaling requirements for their apps. I really hate to say this, but it looks like Samsung is the go-go innovative company and Apple is just trying to live on their reputation. I am not impressed with Mr. Cook.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I'm just noticing that Apple hasn't come up with anything new since Steve Jobs died.

Not sure what they should do, having up update devices once a year mostly gives us some new iPod shape (I have a phone, really do not care about stand alone players any longer) and spec jumps with the laptops, phones and ipads, and these days they tend to be behind other companies in some areas. I do wonder what people would find amazing.

When I travel, I need to make PowerPoint's and type out document's. Currently right now, I take photo's on my iPhone, then get back to my hotel and create the PowerPoint's.

Before I leave for a trip though, I'll have the PowerPoint and documents almost completed and just need to plug in photo's or information, so it would be easier to be able to have all this on the phone and just plug in photo's or information on the go. Granted I can have Keynotes and DocsToGo on my iPhone now, just the size I feel isn't big enough to hassle with.

Ever since I seen the Note 2 at a bar, it's just been on my mind that would be a perfect size for an iPhone.

I don't see why Apple just doesn't release a bigger iPhone, I'm sure it would attract more customers.

Apple could have two phone sizes, that could cause some issues, they have two iPads so they could do so with their phone line, I can see people wanting a larger phone buying an Apple that may have gone elsewhere because of screen size, people do like some degree of options.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Apple could have two phone sizes, that could cause some issues, they have two iPads so they could do so with their phone line, I can see people wanting a larger phone buying an Apple that may have gone elsewhere because of screen size, people do like some degree of options.

I'm just curious how iPad apps never effected iPad Mini apps, like it does compared to the iPhone's with a 3.5" screen and the iPhone 5.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What's the point of a bigger display that doesn't display more information, since it has the same number of pixels? Everything would just be bigger, you couldn't fit more onto the screen.

In that case, is this bigger iPhone for older people who have trouble seeing small characters?

So, lets say you had a 28" 4K TV Screen which had the same number of pixels as the 50 feet wide screen at the cinema.

The same movie on both. which do you think would give you the better experience when viewing the film?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Well speak for yourself mate. I'm not bored or impatient. I'm just noticing that Apple hasn't come up with anything new since Steve Jobs died.

I don't say they need to come up with something revolutionary but when putting this in the context that Apple have turned into a company building products for the masses and doesn't come up with something entirely new is interesting enough to mention since coming up with new devices was almost a trademark hold by Apple in the Steve Jobs era.

iPod 2001
iPhone 2007
iPad 2010

Apart from these huge launches into new prodcut lines, Apple has the spent the last 13 years iterating and improving their products.

New product launches weren't a trademark of the Steve Jobs era, they were exceptions. Most of the time was careful iteration and improvement over years.

Currently we are in that stage.

Of course, the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 are unbelievable feats of engineering and are some of the best products Apple has ever produced, the new iMacs are insane in their design, and the Macbook Pro with retina display is the best laptop anyone has ever made, not too mention how impossibly thin but capable the new iPod Touch is.

But sure, yeah, Apple hasn't done anything of worth since Steve Jobs died.

Jesus, some of you should watch some Louis CK. Everything's amazing, but nobody's happy.

Last edited:

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
LMAO. I like the 4" screen, but I would not hesitate to see how a near 5" screen iPhone would be. I've handled the Galaxy Note and thought it was too big, but a Galaxy sized iPhone might be something I can get used to.

This makes no sense

A galaxy note is to big but an iphone the same size as the galaxy would be ok

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
This makes no sense

A galaxy note is to big but an iphone the same size as the galaxy would be ok

You're right, he doesn't make sense, lol.

The mock-up iPhone that I printed out, which has the iPhone 5 next to the iPhone Plus is good to see if you'd like it. It's more of a competitor towards the Galaxy S3.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Of course, the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 are unbelievable feats of engineering and are some of the best products Apple has ever produced, the new iMacs are insane in their design, and the Macbook Pro with retina display is the best laptop anyone has ever made, not too mention how impossibly thin but capable the new iPod Touch is.

But sure, yeah, Apple hasn't done anything of worth since Steve Jobs died.

Jesus, some of you should watch some Louis CK. Everything's amazing, but nobody's happy.

Again, I'm not interested in small, tiny, and shiny bling bling. As a 'serious' Apple user, using Mac Pro's for serious rendering, I conclude that Apple has been outraced by PC products long time ago simply by comparing the benchmarks.

So yes, 'if' you're a Apple fanboy then the product's you're mentioning are a feast for the eye. The best out there? Hey, that's in the eye of the beholder. And the reason for being critical here is something I've I all-ready explained.

I love Apple's OSX and I still like the Mac Pro, but when new demands from clients pushes me to look for hardware upgrades then yes, it's not to much to ask to be taken serious. I can't render stuff on an iPad. Even when it's possible I choose not to do so.

So I'm not that 'unhappy', merely a bit worried what Apple will come up with in the future for the more 'high-end' consumer market, the ones that come, obviously, with more 'high-end' demands.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Well speak for yourself mate. I'm not bored or impatient. I'm just noticing that Apple hasn't come up with anything new since Steve Jobs died.

I don't say they need to come up with something revolutionary but when putting this in the context that Apple have turned into a company building products for the masses and doesn't come up with something entirely new is interesting enough to mention since coming up with new devices was almost a trademark hold by Apple in the Steve Jobs era.

And how much time elapsed during those genuinely new devices?

iPod - 2001
iPhone - 2007
iPad - 2010

The guy's been dead for a little over a year, what do you want from Apple?

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Has Apple learned nothing from what happened to them in the 90s. Just because you can have a big product line doesn't mean you should. It is starting to seem like serious brand dilution with them trying to appease every single consumer "wish."

Yeah.
They shouldn't have produced a phone in the first place, it was brand dilution.
Worse, they then produced the iPad, which was brand dilution again.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Again, I'm not interested in small, tiny, and shiny bling bling. As a 'serious' Apple user, using Mac Pro's for serious rendering, I conclude that Apple has been outraced by PC products long time ago simply by comparing the benchmarks.

I love Apple's OSX and I still like the Mac Pro, but when new demands from clients pushes me to look for hardware upgrades then yes, it's not to much to ask to be taken serious. I can't render stuff on an iPad. Even when it's possible I choose not to do so.

So I'm not that 'unhappy', merely a bit worried what Apple will come up with in the future for the more 'high-end' consumer market, the ones that come, obviously, with more 'high-end' demands.

So when you said, "Apple hasn't come up with anything new since Steve Jobs died"

What you meant was, "Apple hasn't offered a new version of the Mac Pro since Steve Jobs died?"

I appreciate your work demands you to use high end computers, but you find yourself in a niche market, a market that maybe Apple has moved away from.

For better or worse, you may have to look elsewhere if you want to best specs.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe my vision sucks, but I can't see any pixels on my iPhone display... What's the point of making the PPI that high? Drain battery, require more GPU/CPU sources..?
I think 264 ppi is too low for a handheld device. Thus, the only way to increase the PPI is by doubling the pixels once again.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
If this is true, by listening to half of what people are saying wil be the biggest bomb of all time. Yes i want a 5" iphone but by the time it comes out why would i buy a sub hd phone when competitors (which are catching up in all departments now) are releasing full hd.

dude seriously - the vast majority of apple users are not that sophisticated. Just look at the ipad mini selling loads despite there being higher def screens available and tablets with more features

Apple will price gouge their "fans" as much as possible. The iphone plus 2 will have a higher res screen. Apple will make the money from selling old tech to suckers first. Its what they do- they're world class at taking advantage of the ignorant

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
1) Apple are not innovaters. I don't think they would classify themselves as such. They are pioneers, though. They take standards like Tablets and smart phones and make them accessible to the global audience.

Apple like many others buy-out companies that invent innovating technologies. They are forward pushing. Maybe that is sort of innovating, but I don't think them offering more sizes for their products say anything about that.

2) Its true that one of the genius things about Jobs return to Apple was killing of many product lines and focusing on just four products. It was a genius move, and the idea is sound - higher quality on fewer products. Samsung makes great phones, but they also have crappy budget phones that don't work.

3) In the year of 2012 and 2013, we have a different situation. Android has made massive leaps in its operating system giving lots of new features, while iOS has been much more lax.
Samsung Galaxy III is the best phone for many people, because it gives a better browsing experience to some people than others. You could say a tablet is better for that. But not everybody wants a tablet. Like me! I want my laptop and I want my phone. That's it!

And I have large hands. My Iphone 4s is way to small for me. My hands are cramped. I wish it had the size of Samsung GS3. I dont want android. I love the apple ecosystem. I wish to remain. But Ipad mini is not for me. Macbook Air 11 is not for me.
A 5 inch Iphone would be for me:)

4) Can Apple retain quality across even more product lines? How many Ipod touches, iphones, ipad sizes can you have? how much more work for every developer to make it work on every device? is it a problem when dealing with different sizes?

5) battery life. We want better battery on our phones and laptops. I would buy a Iphone with the power of Iphone 5 with twice the battery life for over a thousand dollars. They have so much power but still poor battery with hardcore use.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I would not consider "progress" when content is smaller.

I don't necessarily want more content to be displayed. I want things easier to read. On my iMac I have highest resolution available 2560 x 1440. But instead I prefer 1920 x 1080.

And this is a perfect example of why the higher resolution device makes the most sense. A user like yourself can choose to tub at a low resolution and get the UI elements to appear at the size you wish. At the same time, those who want the most real estate they can get are able to use the device at its maximum resolution.

The above is exactly why Apple does not bother with a 28" 1920x1080 monitor. The fact is that they don't need to, and such a device would by its very nature reach fewer customers than the product that they already sell today.

Of course what people like yourself really want is the ability to scale the UI steplessly on demand. This would give you the option to choose from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 and anywhere in between on a per use case basis, just by dragging a slider (or performing a touch gesture). And, I have admit that even someone like me who typically uses device at its native resolution would find used for this. After all, when using IOS Safari I zoom in and out all the time. And I bet you do too.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
The S3 is already pushing it size wise for a phone and the note 2 is just a ridiculous device too big to be a practical phone and too small to be anything like a tablet. Apple would be unbelievably stupid to make a device between these 2 sizes, which would be worse than either of them!

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
1) Apple are not innovaters. I don't think they would classify themselves as such. They are pioneers, though. They take standards like Tablets and smart phones and make them accessible to the global audience.

Apple like many others buy-out companies that invent innovating technologies. They are forward pushing. Maybe that is sort of innovating, but I don't think them offering more sizes for their products say anything about that.

Even though the ideas Apple comes out with are not really new, tablets, smartphones, MP3 players etc.. I am curious where other companies would be if Apple had not released what they have over the years, no one was doing the current generation type tablets until Apple, I even wonder why no one else thought to up the resolution on phones, laptops, or tablets before Apple did, now they are, it does seem that for a lot of big features Apple has to do it first, of course other companies also have features Apple could use.

Almost surprising that someone else did the smaller tablet and Apple followed along with that one. A tread I do not want to see other companies do is remove optical drives, Apples living in the future and forgetting the present can get tiresome.

I doubt any company can innovate every single year, there is only so many types of devices.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
dude seriously - the vast majority of apple users are not that sophisticated. Just look at the ipad mini selling loads despite there being higher def screens available and tablets with more features

Apple will price gouge their "fans" as much as possible. The iphone plus 2 will have a higher res screen. Apple will make the money from selling old tech to suckers first. Its what they do- they're world class at taking advantage of the ignorant

Which is one reason I wont buy the ipad mini yet despite the fact that I think its a better size than my ipad 3. They could get money from the ignorant and knowledgable rather than just the ignorant. makes you wonder, are apple the ignorant ones? At least they have alot of ignorant fans I suppose.

----------

The S3 is already pushing it size wise for a phone and the note 2 is just a ridiculous device too big to be a practical phone and too small to be anything like a tablet. Apple would be unbelievably stupid to make a device between these 2 sizes, which would be worse than either of them!

I disagree with you. After using the note 2 I dont think its not practical and I do think the s3 seems a bit small now too. I realise everyone has different tastes and those tastes change but the general majority will tell you that right now a 5" phone is about right.

----------

Not to mention different tablet screen sizes...

you can even get different keyboard sizes from apple and lets not start with the ipod range...

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.