Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggsPanther

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Hampshire/Surrey, UK
So this regulation is about fan blades turning off when the computer is opened?

What kind of idiot opens a computer when it's on? If you do that, you deserve to lose your fingers. Another regulation protecting the brain dead.

The kind of "idiot" who wants to visibly check that things like status lights and, yes, fans are actually running when it's switched on?

Or someone who is partway through an upgrade and want sto be 100% certain it's all working before sealing the damn thing up again?

Or if you're testing which component in a computer is stopping it from working. I know I wouldn't want to have to completely reclose a computer case when i was cycling through RAM sticks to find out which one is causing a computer to choke.

So another dumb regulation that just made my job and hobby that much more frustrating.
If I open a computer when its is on, or power it on when open, I do this little thing called "being damned careful". But it is something I need to do on occasion to actually fix/troubleshoot things.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I get the sense that the reason we don't have a Mac Pro yet is because of Jobs. The Mac Pro sat around without major updates far longer under Jobs's watch. I think Tim Cook has shown that he is listening to users, and he is willing to respond to concerns. Only time will tell if that is a good thing! ;)

Apple's communication towards it's high-end users have been proven highly unprofessional. Tim Cook has only come up with 'vague' promises that 'could' hint that Apple is building a new Mac Pro. This 'guessing' game for users of what Cook means with: 'something will come' is not something one could label as: willing to respond to concerns. In fact, it proofs that Apple's frontman isn't listening at all towards it's users. Apple hasn't given any usable information for 'high-end' users to build on.

With 'high-end' users (silly name really) I mean users that are using the Mac Pro line in studio's for use with heavy rendering task and video-rendering for HD 2K and up. For this these people do need machines where they can put all kinds of third parties graphical cards in it and push the memory banks to the limit. In PC based machine all of this is possible, in the Mac Pro line as well. That's the very reason why people using Mac Pro are so eager to get a new setup simply because the current Mac Pro is highly outdated -even after a small update-....

It's really frustrating how Apple's biggest supporters, the people that are using the Apple Mac Pro line up from the start are simply put aside, now European customers might need to order new Mac Pro's (IF they come...) in the United States. You really thing they will do this with all the disadvantages they will get doing so? Highly unlikely.

Now, if the latest rumors will be correct, if Apple is really going to build plastic based iPhones and Pads and maybe even plastic for the iMac line-up just to come up with 'cheaper' devises then it's clear to me that Apple will loose ground (which all-ready have started) because their products will be no longer superior in the future to come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Apple hater, far from that. I spend my entire life, so far, working on Apple computers. But it truly saddens me to see how Apple seems to lost it's touch. Once, many years ago, Apple made commercials on how Apple computers where crushing it's PC's concurrents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4dDuocAXTY

Apple, under the leadership of Steve Jobs, proofed that they could come up with brilliant new ideas, power + design. Now they have established themselves as a big player they only come up with new designs and a bit of extra power for mainly their gadget's line-up devices; iPhone, iPad's, iPods. The iMacs are powerful but not impressive when talking about serious performance. Once Apple (see commercial above) biggest thing.

So, is Tim Cook listening to it's users? Well, I'm one of them, and I'm not unique. With me their are many. But I agree, all the 'pro' users don't add up against all the gadget consumers. And Tim Cook? He only listens to Apple's market share as the way of building new products shows.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Apple should fix this. :rolleyes:
I think the EU should go back to bankrupting itself and leave Apple Workstations alone.

----------

Do they really sell a lot of Mac Pros anymore. It seems like the high end market is buying Retinas now. I've worked for several software companies and everyone used to have a Mac Pro. Now those companies are all handing out Retinas. They're plenty fast and I have 2 external monitors on mine. It just doesn't seem like there's a HUGE need for the Mac Pro outside of a few industries.
Retinas instead of MacPros, now that's comedy.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Living in Switzerland, which is an island surrounded by the EU, I endorse this post!

Don't be silly, Switzerland = as an European country as well, also agreed on the European Free Trade Association and is part of the Schengen Area. This couldn't be the case if Switzerland was not an European Country.

I endorse schooling. ;)

----------

I think the EU should go back to bankrupting itself and leave Apple Workstations alone.

----------

Retinas instead of MacPros, now that's comedy.

I don't think it will go that far. And since America one of the world poorest countries but still standing it's in the eye of the beholder which label you put on a country don't you think?

http://media.economist.com/sites/de...idth/images/print-edition/20121110_FBC408.png

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Hear hear, these bureaucrates only make things more difficult for those that voted them to these positions. EU spends way too much time on meaningless ****, while the economy has been going down the drain for years.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The kind of "idiot" who wants to visibly check that things like status lights and, yes, fans are actually running when it's switched on?

Or someone who is partway through an upgrade and want sto be 100% certain it's all working before sealing the damn thing up again?

Or if you're testing which component in a computer is stopping it from working. I know I wouldn't want to have to completely reclose a computer case when i was cycling through RAM sticks to find out which one is causing a computer to choke.

So another dumb regulation that just made my job and hobby that much more frustrating.
If I open a computer when its is on, or power it on when open, I do this little thing called "being damned careful". But it is something I need to do on occasion to actually fix/troubleshoot things.

I would imagine they will have to fit an interlocking switch to the case so that the power is isolated (or the fans powered down) when the case is opened. I work for a metal pressing company and most of our machines are fitted with similar safety devices but our engineers are able to override the switches when carrying out maintenance work.

The safety devices are there to stop an uneducated operator opening something they shouldn't open and injuring themselves. I would be surprised if an updated Mac Pro doesn't come with a similar override that can be activated to allow access inside the case while it's powered up.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Living in Switzerland, which is an island surrounded by the EU, I endorse this post!

You should probably withdraw from EFTA. It doesn't make sense to me to implement EU decisions without having any input into them.

Then again this is a International Electrotechnical Commission standard so I'm a little confused as to why it doesn't apply to all IEC members.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product. You can't tell me that Apple hasn't made a conscious decision to let this product die. Apple is such a large company and they can't update the Mac Pro to current industry specs for over two years? Something doesn't sound right...

Mac Pro is not a flagship product ...

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Get your house in order Tim.
This could be seen as a feeble and pathetic excuse to kill the Mac Pro off...
...not impressed :mad:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So - on a speadsheet listing features it may appear that the Mac Pro is old and tired, and being out run by an iMac... but for those of us who need a solid workhorse the Mac Pro is still a seriously good investment. This is a professional machine that is designed to work and work. And when it doesn't work - to be fixed and then start working again.

It seems to me all the complaints and drawbacks of current MacPro was neglected just because your MP don't actually have it.
No USB 3.0? .. don't need it
No SATA III SSD nor HDD? .. don't affect me too much
No Thunderbolt? .. it's a piece of crap DOA interface I also don't need
Ancient official GPUs? .. it's still enough for basic Photoshop tasks, hmm so does my cheap Core 2 Duo box, no?
It's capable of driving 3 monitors? Well. any 27" iMac, or even 15" MBPs can do that too. Question is. Will it blend? ;)

All in all, it's cool and actually fine. It's your money, your career and your business anyway. But to me, MacPro should and could be a better machine, A LOT better, especially for that kind of money. In fact I'd choose a MacPro over the new maxxed iMac given it has proper upgrades and reasonable spec.
Otherwise Apple should drop the price tag nonetheless. It's 2010 piece of tech in 2013. Why should it cost the same?

Just like the reason why you bought your MP right from refurbished section? Why? Because the full retail price is practically a highway robbery. As example, MacPo 512 GB SSD option costs stinking extra $1000 and it wouldn't be as fast as it should given the older interface. Really, Apple?

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Apple's communication towards it's high-end users have been proven highly unprofessional. Tim Cook has only come up with 'vague' promises that 'could' hint that Apple is building a new Mac Pro. This 'guessing' game for users of what Cook means with: 'something will come' is not something one could label as: willing to respond to concerns. In fact, it proofs that Apple's frontman isn't listening at all towards it's users. Apple hasn't given any usable information for 'high-end' users to build on.

This is nothing new. Apple killed off Carbon 64 after promising not to. Apple killed off XServe from one day to the next. Apple deprecated Java without any kind of official word on the future (although it worked out in the end) of OS X as a Java development platform. These days they seem to stealth kill Java on a daily basis thereby screwing over admins and heldpdesk employess everywhere. Apple insta-end-of-lifed FCP and replaced it with a product that wasn't ready for prime time (pardon the pun). They've been doing it for years.

Apple's willingness to stop selling a product in a region with 750 million people because they can't see any profit in a slight change in the design should tell you something: Apple's entire involvement as a serious player in business is pretty much undetectable on the bottom line. Apple can (and will) cut the cord on that entire segment without blinking an eye.

It's perfectly fine to use Apple products in the work place as long as they are interchangeable with other non-Apple products in a fairly inexpensive way. If you are depending on Apple for your business you are playing with fire and should quit whining when you get burned.

rory

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Could they actually innovate again?

I wonder if Apple could actually innovate again? How about a Mac Pro with one main processor to deal with everyday stuff a 6 core of the latest flavour for example, and about 100, how about 1000, of the latest Apple Arm processors - A6 or whatever they've got up their sleeve - that would work with OpenCL to give some proper grunt to rendering etc. Could that work? That with expandability and access to the best graphics gards would work for me.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
If you are depending on Apple for your business you are playing with fire and should quit whining when you get burned.

Good slogan for the new Apple commercials

Or what about

http://www.artic.nl/download/speed.jpg

or

http://www.artic.nl/download/innovation.jpg

?

Talking about whining, how do you label people that will cheer at every sound Apple's CEO makes? Asking from 'some' stability from this firm on which many, not only me, professional studio's build their products on isn't to much to ask if you ask me. I've seen people go nuts after replacing Final Cut Studio for Final Cut Studio pro which wasn't just not ready but a disaster to say at least. All the production works coudn't be loaded any longer.

Yes, it's in the eye of the beholder. One can state to the customer: stop whining or one could state to Apple: start deliver and act professional.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Talking about whining, how do you label people that will cheer at every sound Apple's CEO makes?

Apple fans, I guess. Not to be confused with people who are knowledgable about technology.

Asking from 'some' stability from this firm on which many, not only me, professional studio's build their products on isn't to much to ask if you ask me. I've seen people go nuts after replacing Final Cut Studio for Final Cut Studio pro which wasn't just not ready but a disaster to say at least. All the production works coudn't be loaded any longer.

Apple is not an business friendly company. At what point does it become responsibility of its business customers to realize that? How many "hints" do you need?

Yes, it's in the eye of the beholder. One can state to the customer: stop whining or one could state to Apple: start deliver and act professional.

Apple is an extremely professional company when it comes to selling products to consumers. Apple do not act "professional" towards companies because it isn't profitable for them to do so.

saboteur

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Dam EU Eurocrats! Haven't they ever heard about the survival of the Fittest? If your going to stick your fingers there, you dumb and you just learned a value lesson!

----------

Sorry mate, but living in Switzerland, you're used to crazy laws... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.