Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corey407woc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
have a 4s with google maps built in and all my tweaks. what is the benefit of 6.1??

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You gotta consider the pros and cons and decide yourself.

If you stay on 5.1.1 all your JB apps and tweaks are already there and work fine and you dont have to do much or wait for upgrades to be released to work with the new firmwares JB.

If you update to 6.1 you will be at the latest possible JB firmware version and you will have all the 6.1 features plus you wont have any problems installing or updating any appstore apps that need ios 6.0 and higher.
Most major cydia packages will be updated to work with the new JB ios version but that can take time and you might have to deal with bugs and glitches.
Decisions:)

TTMax

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
I'm in the same situation, 4s on 5.1.1

I don't really want to update because I will lose stock google maps which is much smoother than the new version, and the old youtube app (it has it's uses!)
And my phone basically works fine, I like ios 5 layout and the jb is very stable.

Also if there is no re-restore on 6.1 once Apple pushes out 6.1.1 then I can't see how it's worth it since ios 6 doesn't have a lot to offer anyway. I would love to try it and then go back, but there's no going back! Might wait for ios 7...

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Indeed, 6.1 doesn't bring anything relevant that 5.1.1 had but don't forget that apps will start being designed for 6.1 and you might not be able to run them in 5.1.1. There's a couple of games like that.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
You gotta consider the pros and cons and decide yourself.

If you stay on 5.1.1 all your JB apps and tweaks are already there and work fine and you dont have to do much or wait for upgrades to be released to work with the new firmwares JB.

If you update to 6.1 you will be at the latest possible JB firmware version and you will have all the 6.1 features plus you wont have any problems installing or updating any appstore apps that need ios 6.0 and higher.
Most major cydia packages will be updated to work with the new JB ios version but that can take time and you might have to deal with bugs and glitches.
Decisions:)

Good Points. The ONLY reason I am considering putting my 4s on 6.1 is to update and use certain apps. This 5.1 jailbreak is the most stable one I have used BY FAR, and the rerestore has already saved me once. All my apps work great and its been the most pleasurable jailbreaking experience I have had as of yet.

I will personally be doing my ipad3 and ipod touch5 first, give it a few days to see how stable they are, then, (if apple hasn't closed the holes), will MAYBE do my phone.

Other than the app updates, ios6 has nothing to add that i want/need. my jailbreak tweaks handle most, if not all of the things it does.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Bah, the 5.1.1 Jailbreak is unstable. Libhide does not work propperly, it bugs me out as hell!!! Other than that the bugs have been fixed, but libhide is like almost important.

Hoping for better times with iOS 6.1

Also iOS 6.1 has lots of improvements and bugfixes, which arent noticable except by the unconciousness. I feel the estetic is also improved. And I want all my devices on the same FW too. (an iPad on 5.1.1 and an iP5 on 6.1 would bug me out)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.