Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
We've been Dish Network customers for about 14 years and have generally been pretty happy (I think we have the 200 channel package). My only gripes are losing the MSG and SNY sports networks. We have the 922 DVR with built in Sling and absolutely love it. Great DVR.

But we're open to the idea of switching back to Time Warner if the channels we want are there and the price is right. Since we already use Time Warner for RoadRunner we though maybe we could save some money if we bundled services?

I've tried calling Time Warner a couple times to find out how good their DVRs are, and how they compare to the Dish 922, but I never really get a straight answer.

Unless the TW DVR is now as good as Dish's I probably don't want to switch, and might even move up to the Hopper DVR.

Anyone here have experience with both? Or words of wisdom?

For what it's worth, we currently have two HDTVs and might add a third this year.

Thanks VERY much in advance,
Chris

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I had Dish for a few years. It was very susceptible to wind, rain, mist, fog, just about any type of weather phenomenon and we could lose some or all of our signal. I finally got tired of it and switched to Uverse.

From here on out I'll always use a fiber or cable based solution over a satellite one, if that option is available to me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have Direct TV and switched from Time Warner. I am quite happy with DTV and found that no matter what, I couldn't get my bill to be lower with TWC. I appreciate DTV's customer service as well. When cancelling their free trial of the premium movie channels, they offered me a 70% discount on them if I wanted to keep them, no contract and I can cancel tomorrow if I want. TWC would barely work with me and that was after I would be transferred to their so-called retention department.

Wind and storms can affect DTV but so far, I've had a really good experience. TV is not so important to me that I can't watch a movie if the sat goes out for a few hours.

In the end, it is probably up to you but I am happy to be away from TWC for TV. One day I hope to get rid of the phone and internet but the alternatives thus far aren't quite up to snuff for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had Dish for a few years. It was very susceptible to wind, rain, mist, fog, just about any type of weather phenomenon and we could lose some or all of our signal. I finally got tired of it and switched to Uverse.

From here on out I'll always use a fiber or cable based solution over a satellite one, if that option is available to me.

I've heard this before. I lived in Minnesota for a couple of decades and snow was bad for the signal. The last time I did a price comparison of Dish or Direct, what I remember is that their intro prices were stellar, but once those expired, the prices which may be a little lower than a cable provider was about the same. What I really want is ala-carte. I hate paying for packages where I don't watch most of the channels I'm getting. Everyone seems to do this.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I've heard this before. I lived in Minnesota for a couple of decades and snow was a bad for the signal. The last time I did a price comparison of Dish or Direct, what I remember is that their intro prices were stellar, but once those expired, the prices which may be a little lower than a cable provider was about the same. What I really want is ala-carte. I hate paying for packages where I don't watch most of the channels I'm getting. Everyone seems to do this.

You and me both. I had DishTV. I had dish but the price kept going up and up. The service was ok. The quality was good. The DVR was outstanding, however the price kept going up on us. I ended up canceling and going to Verizon FIOS. No complaints yet. Have had them for three years.

I can't comment on Time Warner, I have not used them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You and me both. I had DishTV. I had dish but the price kept going up and up. The service was ok. The quality was good. The DVR was outstanding, however the price kept going up on us. I ended up canceling and going to Verizon FIOS. No complaints yet. Have had them for three years.

I can't comment on Time Warner, I have not used them.

If I was to guess, maybe they subsidize the expensive channels with other channels that don't cost much? It would really be interesting to see what the individual channel cost would be...

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Great discussion, I really appreciate all of the great responses everyone, thanks!

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
We moved from Dish to TWC. We've had Dish for many years (10 I think), and we've also had Road Runner through Time Warner for those years.

I hate TWC. Not sure if we have bad luck or what but the whole interface is crappy and slow. We've contacted TWC many times and every time they send a repair man and "fix" it. It's getting really annoying. There shouldn't be a lag when you're doing something as simple as scrolling through the guide...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.