Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
As the title says I have Microsoft Word 2011 with several hyperlinks to different parts of the document by using Bookmarks. When I save this to .PDF the links are transferred, however, none work.

I asked this on Microsoft forums and to their support to no avail.

IanWilson

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Bristol, UK.
As the title says I have Microsoft Word 2011 with several hyperlinks to different parts of the document by using Bookmarks. When I save this to .PDF the links are transferred, however, none work.

I asked this on Microsoft forums and to their support to no avail.

Unfortunately it seems to be the case that this just doesn't work. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/save-word-documents-as-pdf-disable-hyperlinks-in/dd1d2111-69af-41f0-a237-2ff00657ee43 for instance.

Ian

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
This is not a broken feature or error happening. It's something microsoft doesn't support and requires the adobe acrobat software.

There are several instances where microsoft includes basic features (PDF and Endnote come to mind) where it would be easy for them to implement complete functionality but risk either getting a lawsuit for being monopolistic or risk alienating their partners.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
In my experience, this doesn't work on a Mac. I have tried printing to PS from Word, and then distilling. No go. I was only able to make this work by opening under Word 2010 (Windows), and saving as PDF, where it works as expected. Who's at fault? Adobe? Apple? Microsoft? The main thing is this seems to have been the case for a long time, and no one seems in a hurry to fix it. FInd a Windows friend.

bherring

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2007
Mac Word to PDF with hyperlinks

The only way I've managed to do this is via Office365...you edit your doc in Mac Word 2011, upload it to Office365 (free for a month, then $10/mo), and print to PDF from there. You still need Acrobat to take out the JavaScript auto-open print window that Microsoft puts in, but at least the links work without having to go to a PC. More on the details in this other thread, post #19.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1323421/

Crazy workflow:
Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> Office365 Web Word --> PDF with hyperlinks you want but JavaScript you don't want -->Acrobat --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Workflow on a PC and the way it ought to be on Mac Word:
Word 20xx --> (optional .doc with hyperlinks) ---> PDF with hyperlinks.

eroux

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
South Africa
Crazy workflow:
Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> Office365 Web Word --> PDF with hyperlinks you want but JavaScript you don't want -->Acrobat --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Workflow on a PC and the way it ought to be on Mac Word:
Word 20xx --> (optional .doc with hyperlinks) ---> PDF with hyperlinks.

Saner workflow on the Mac:

Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> LibreOffice for the Mac --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Of course, could just as well skip the "Mac OS Word 2011" step...

IanWilson

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Bristol, UK.
Saner workflow on the Mac:

Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> LibreOffice for the Mac --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Of course, could just as well skip the "Mac OS Word 2011" step...

Thanks. I'm away from home at the moment, so I can't try it. But I am not sure that would preserve the section breaks with endnotes at the end of each section.

I'll try when I get home.

Ian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.