Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
This guy on youtube (lockergnome) who does tech reviews and comparisons does a great job. Very balanced, unbiased, thorough, and makes great points. Out of all tech bloggers, he seems to mirror my sentiments the most. He's also somewhat of a character too.

Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

If you know of someone who does even better reviews/comparisons, let me know, i'd like to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
This guy on youtube (lockergnome) who does tech reviews and comparisons does a great job. Very balanced, unbiased, thorough, and makes great points. Out of all tech bloggers, he seems to mirror my sentiments the most. He's also somewhat of a character too.

Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

YouTube: video

That scrolling lag is exactly what drove me insane about the N7.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I'm glad I got an iPad Mini over a Nexus 7.

I already sold my 2 previous Android 7" tablets that I wasn't happy with.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I normally like his comparisons and totally agree about the Nexus 7 vs iPad mini.

But the iPhone 5 vs G3 I'm not so sure: he kind of lost me about the iPhone 5 having deeper blacks. There can be no deeper black than "off." Also the S3 was running ICS not JB.

He also liked the Nexus 4 and Note 2, which I would put above the S3, performance wise.

I think the S4 is going to most likely best not only the iPhone 5 but likely the 5S/6 as well. Time will tell.

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Ugh, I tried but I could only get have way though the 2nd video. Too much opinion in those reviews.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I normally like his comparisons and totally agree about the Nexus 7 vs iPad mini.

But the iPhone 5 vs G3 I'm not so sure: he kind of lost me about the iPhone 5 having deeper blacks.
There can be no deeper black than "off." Also the S3 was running ICS not JB.

He also liked the Nexus 4 and Note 2, which I would put above the S3, performance wise.

I think the S4 is going to most likely best not only the iPhone 5 but likely the 5S/6 as well. Time will tell.

Michael

LOL, yeah i was like, "WTF is he talking about"? Also the back button that he kept hitting. I know some hold the phone differently ,somehow, than others but i dont think ive never hit the back button on accident.

Speaking of the GS3, i got another update last night. My third since ive had it(second one was Jelly Bean) so i like that they are being better with the updates even if it was a small security and user experience update. Still, if it is an improvement, its nice to get them sooner than ever before.

As for the Tablets, i agree a little about the scrolling , but i still much prefer the N7 over the Mini. It frustrates me that there is no back button on the Mini.

I didnt really watch the Google Chromebook video (watched 30 seconds) Ive absolutely no desire to have one of those.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
LOL, yeah i was like, "WTF is he talking about"? Also the back button that he kept hitting. I know some hold the phone differently ,somehow, than others but i dont think ive never hit the back button on accident.

Speaking of the GS3, i got another update last night. My third since ive had it(second one was Jelly Bean) so i like that they are being better with the updates even if it was a small security and user experience update. Still, if it is an improvement, its nice to get them sooner than ever before.

As for the Tablets, i agree a little about the scrolling , but i still much prefer the N7 over the Mini. It frustrates me that there is no back button on the Mini.

I didnt really watch the Google Chromebook video (watched 30 seconds) Ive absolutely no desire to have one of those.
Yea that is beginning to get on my nerves with my iPad. I keep tapping to the right of the home button lol. Also, despite what some say about iOS consistently having the back button in the upper left-hand corner it is not always that way: sometimes an app will bring up a screen that has to be closed via the upper right-hand corner (such as an "x"). Just ran into that today with the Huffington Post app for iPad (a horribly written app, in my opinion).

Michael

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy SIII

Google Chromebook Review

If you know of someone who does even better reviews/comparisons, let me know, i'd like to check them out.

I love Chris Pirillo! He was on the TechTV channel on satellite years back before G4 bought it out and ruined it. Great guy! Great sense of humor.

In the same spirit of Chris' channel, there's the TWiT TV channel http://www.youtube.com/user/twit

It is a much larger endeavor, though, headed by Leo Laporte (another TechTV alum). I enjoy several of their podcasts (both audio and video), from "Home Theater Geeks", "iPad Today", "Macbreak Weekly", "Tech News Today", and "Know How".

They're insightful, objective (most of the time), and I very rarely find their information outright wrong.

And, once more back to Chris, he apparently got an early shot to use the Oculus Rift 3D Gaming Goggles. From what I've heard, this was the hit of CES this year. Everyone was raving about, and here he is demoing the Epic Citadel map using Unreal Engine 3, adapted for the Oculus Rift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBylGcvRuek

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

But the iPhone 5 vs G3 I'm not so sure: he kind of lost me about the iPhone 5 having deeper blacks. There can be no deeper black than "off." Also the S3 was running ICS not JB.

Michael

Well that is probably over a year away, so I would be shocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.