Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
I'm waiting on a pair of these to arrive. Obviously just for home use.
2Vgpzcd.jpg

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
I rock a set of Sennheiser HD 439s Saving for a set of 800s, but these are really nice when i want to chill and listen to some Olafur Arnalds, Max Richter or tchaikovsky.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Anyone using an iPhone 5 with an amp?

There's no amp that can connect to the lightning connector, so I think that's precluding most people. That's what I'm waiting for.

See this post from head-fi:

As far as I know, these amp/dac-combo's are iPhone 5 compatible:

- Centrance Hifi-m8 (allmost released, $699)
- Sony pha-1. Reviews: Touchmyapps/head-fi user Shigzeo: http://bit.ly/QRlLNm Head-fi user Ditti: http://www.head-fi.org/t/631435/sony-pha-1-review-and-impressions )
- Perhaps the yet to be released Fiio e18
- V-moda is working on a new Vamp (for iphone+android)

Good luck smily_headphones1.gif
I wonder what devices will follow now that Lightning has been introduced.

P.S. All other amps can also be used with an iphone, but you'll either be double-amping (via analog out), or using the new adapter+LOD to send digital to your amp.)

Edit 10/13: added impression on head-fi of the Sony PHA-1

Also, certain companies may be locked out because of apple licensing restrictions:

The answer to your question has been answered by FiiO themselves in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627336/issues-about-apples-new-lightning-connector

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596072/potential-for-fiio-clas-and-fostex-hp-p1-competitor

In short, no the lightning connector doesn't change anything. The 30-pin Dock Connector always had digital output along side it's analog output; so the Lightning connector is a downgrade of sorts in the audiophile world. However, with both the 30-pin Dock Connector and Lightning connector, the digital output is encrypted. To decrypt the digital output, the manufacturer needs the appropriate hardware from Apple. To get the hardware to apply for a MFi (Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad) license and pay licensing fees. However, FiiO has already pointed out that they applied for MFi certification and was denied and they suspect that it's because they're based in China and Apple's not fond of giving such decryption hardware to Chinese companies.

Last edited:

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Any opinions on a sub $200 pair of over ear cans? Been looking at the M50's for the longest time now. I could get the white ones for 125 or get them pre-modded at sound professionals for detachable cord at 170.

Really want a pair of detachable cords for portability reasons (leave a cord at the office, cord home and just bring e headset). At $125 I feel like you can't beat the M50, but am I overlooking any if its going to cost me upwards of 170?

Thanks!!

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Don't have these headphones anymore, but figured i'd give my input in case anyone is using this thread for some research for their next pair of headphones..

Yurbud Inspire Pro
inspire_pro_features.jpg

I had the white model. These are the ones with the mic.

They were too big for my ears, which is why I took them back. If they weren't, I probably would have kept them.

I was able to put them in my ears and twist them to lock in and I have to say that I really like this feature. I am thinking about trying the womens ones which I am assuming are smaller.

The lock was secure enough to not fall out of my ears even with the buds being too big, but not too secure that it would hurt me if the wire were to snag on something.

The microphone was awkwardly positioned. I didn't like it at all. It was not remotely useful in the position it was in and it added way too much bulk to the wire. I prefer something more subtle like 99% of other headphones with the inline mic and controls.

The sound quality was just okay. This is coming from someone who is not terribly picky about sound quality in headphones, especially when it comes to what i'm wearing to work out. It could have been a LOT better. It was about two steps below the Apple EarPods and even below the old style Apple earbuds.

For the price, I think they could have been much better. I might try the womens ones that are about $50. If those don't work out, I think i'll try the Bose MIE2i's.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Using V-Moda Crossfade LP's at home and on the go I'm using Monster Jamz with Comply Foam Tips.

Been looking to get Audio Technica M50's for a while, but if only they sold them somewhere in Toronto... Don't really like buying stuff online all that much - returns are pricey with shipping in Canada.

ggabriele3

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
By any chance have a link? Thanks!!

search for "CMOY amps".
you can build them yourself or buy them from people on ebay or etsy or elsewhere.

there's one company - JDlabs I think - that makes one with a bass boost called the cmoyBB. They also have rechargeable battery and other options, but cost around $60.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
search for "CMOY amps".
you can build them yourself or buy them from people on ebay or etsy or elsewhere.

there's one company - JDlabs I think - that makes one with a bass boost called the cmoyBB. They also have rechargeable battery and other options, but cost around $60.

Definitely interested, ill do some research! Thanks!

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
how are those?

have you listened to the 880? if so, differences?

looks like the cord is non-detachable. is it?
The cord is non-detachable.

The DT 880 is much more linear than the DT 990, which focuses on treble and bass. The headphone leans more towards a bright sound signature. It's enjoyable but recommending it is a tough one as with all audio products, your ears are one that should be the judge. Depending on the type of sound you enjoy and what it is you are looking for a headphone to accomplish, saying this is the best headphone ever is a biased opinion.;)

I use the headphone along with both the FiiO E10 and HiFiMAN EF2A.
head-fi setup.png

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Reading around, one potential solution may to buy Apple's lightning to micro USB adapter, then get a micro USB to mini USB cable and plug that into a portable AMP/DAC like Fiio's E17. I haven't seen anyone else mention that so I'm not 100% sure it would work.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Reading around, one potential solution may to buy Apple's lightning to micro USB adapter, then get a micro USB to mini USB cable and plug that into a portable AMP/DAC like Fiio's E17. I haven't seen anyone else mention that so I'm not 100% sure it would work.

I've looked into the Fiio E17 too. A little too expensive for me right out of the hi-fi gate, but possibly something I could work up to. Yeah, I'm wondering how I would connect my iPhone 5 to one of these amps as well.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I've looked into the Fiio E17 too. A little too expensive for me right out of the hi-fi gate, but possibly something I could work up to. Yeah, I'm wondering how I would connect my iPhone 5 to one of these amps as well.

It's not just an amp. It's a DAC too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.