Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OMG.. Looks like they are going to be first to the table. So much for waiting for the competition to do their reveal first BS they came out with only a week or so ago....

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I just saw the video!! I'm so excited about it! Don't you think it's a bit of a coincidence that the video is 44 seconds long teasing the release of PS4? ;)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Now this is something I will be following with great interest! :)

Could it not be a coincidence that no Uncharted 4 has been announced or even teased for the PS3 as of yet? That would be a great launch title for the PS4!

What else have they been holding back on...Killzone 4? Resistance 4? Gran Turismo 6? ...............THE LAST GUARDIAN?? :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's also highly probable they could reveal hardware first because they are actually not releasing this year, or maybe won't hit retail before the next Xbox releases.

If they know they don't expect it to hit retail before the Xbox, maybe revealing hardware first is a way of hyping people up before Microsofts reveal and they hope that with revealing first they can persuade some users to wait for the PS4 instead of just grabbing the first new gen console which releases...

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
This should mean a release in time for Christmas, as long as they don't do the stupid staggered launches again and leave the EU out on a limb. In terms of sales, the PlayStation does best in this territory, so surely they should launch here first!

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Cant see it being a game to be honest. Bit strange if it is. All things seem to point to new hardware for me.
Honestly if you keep pausing it I swear I can see a glossy console.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Twitter is your friend (or maybe not)...

CEO Kaz Hirai ‏@KazHiraiCEO

"On 20th February, we will finally show of the future of PlayStation: PS3 Firmware Update 4.4!".

Thank god it's only a parody account ;)

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
OMG.. Looks like they are going to be first to the table. So much for waiting for the competition to do their reveal first BS they came out with only a week or so ago....

You can already buy the new Nintendo console generation today.
They are not first to the table.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
They really dropped the ball there, releasing only ONE proper Gran Turismo game this entire generation. They turned one of their most valuable franchises into a laughing stock to many people.

Agreed, but IMO even the Forzas are laughable. I would like more than online sprints. 20-60min races should be the norm, not 2-5 laps.
I should offload my collectors edition of GT5..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You can already buy the new Nintendo console generation today.
They are not first to the table.

As a launch Wii U owner with 14 games I do know this. However as Wii U's specs are more akin to current generation hardware, many of us here and in the industry do not class the Wii U as a next generation machine, but more a interesting take on the current.

The Wii U hardware is not an exponential leap on existing technology, it caught up and added the gamepad screen. The next Xbox & PS4 will be in order of magnitudes more powerful hardware and will not be matching existing console hardware but offering new hardware.

So it really is hard to classify Nintendo's Wii U in same 'next gen' category as the others.

It's next gen only to those who have not owned either a PS3 for 6 years or a 360 for the last 7....

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
For me, the beutiful thing about Ninty, is that it does not matter. I am incredibly excited to see some of my favourite franchises in HD.

But when it comes to Playstation, I expect cutting edge.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
It's interesting that Sony isn't going to wait until E3 and instead choose to do Apple-esque grand unveiling.

Anyway, Sony better come with their guns blazing. The PS3 had a slow start, and their indifference towards the Vita is borderline criminal.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
It's interesting that Sony isn't going to wait until E3 and instead choose to do Apple-esque grand unveiling.

Anyway, Sony better come with their guns blazing. The PS3 had a slow start, and their indifference towards the Vita is borderline criminal.

PS3 and the Vita were both revealed at Playstation meetings. It makes sense I think. Show us the comsole at it's own event and support it with some great game announcements at E3.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I am looking forward to all the real and fake leaks that are bound flood the media during the next three weeks!

Will Sony manage to keep a lid on things?

Remember the PSP Go unveil? :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whatever the PS4 is, if it has 100% backwards compatibility with the PS3 (PS3, PS2, PS1 and minis), supports Move and my racing wheel and has a replaceable HDD... I'll get it day 1.

I like that they're streaming it worldwide too. I always thought Nintendo were amazing for this and surprised why nobody else followed. Why present to closed off events for journalists when you can directly target your audience and journalists in one show? It's a great personal touch.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Whatever the PS4 is, if it has 100% backwards compatibility with the PS3 (PS3, PS2, PS1 and minis), supports Move and my racing wheel and has a replaceable HDD... I'll get it day 1.

I like that they're streaming it worldwide too. I always thought Nintendo were amazing for this and surprised why nobody else followed. Why present to closed off events for journalists when you can directly target your audience and journalists in one show? It's a great personal touch.

100% backwards compatibility? Nah, not happening! The PS3 barely does any BC these days (and I am still, years later, sore about the last minute gimping of my EU launch PS3), but I reckon the PS4 will probably still play a selection of PSone, PS2 and PS3 games (particularly those available over the PSN).

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

lol, I'd expect PS3 compatibility especially with PSN downloads but the rest on that list is reaching and you should know better lol.

So long as it has USB your racing wheel will likely be fine, Move while it will likely be refined or integrated differently isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Replaceable hard drive was something that set this console apart from the rest, I can't see them deviating from that.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

Yep. Why wouldn't you live stream in this day and age. I am so excited. 11pm uk time.

What wheel are you rocking? I think my DFGT is kaput. The break is constantly registering during races. So in the market for a new one.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
lol, I'd expect PS3 compatibility especially with PSN downloads but the rest on that list is reaching and you should know better lol.

So long as it has USB your racing wheel will likely be fine, Move while it will likely be refined or integrated differently isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Replaceable hard drive was something that set this console apart from the rest, I can't see them deviating from that.

The HDD thing is common sense now. If the user can plug their own drive in they're more likely to fill it with all that content on the store ;).

I don't think it's reaching at all. PS1 is easy peasy to emulate, the problem would be testing all the software again. Someone has to eat that cost! But like the PS Vita I think it's something that will be in there either at launch or in the first couple of months. PS2, again there's a fully functioning emulator on PS3 now. (of course it wont play PS2 discs, just the downloads)
I guess it depends on how similar the PS4 is to the PS3. I'm just confident it'll be fine, for some reason!

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
What wheel are you rocking? I think my DFGT is kaput. The break is constantly registering during races. So in the market for a new one.

I am thinking about selling my Fanatec CSR Elite for the Clubsport. The PS3/PC support (and Xbox with the Elite) is awesome, and in my opinion for the price are the best one can get for consoles/PC until you spend $2k or so.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Whatever the PS4 is, if it has 100% backwards compatibility with the PS3

It wont. We know how much power it takes to emulate hardware, can you imagine emulating a PS3 on current machines even if they were 8 core ?

Your going from obscure Cell SPU to X86 64 bit technology. The difference in hardware is monumental.

Unless like PS3 they include a chip for backwards compatibility , it just isn't happening, and given Sony's removal of backwards compatibility fairly early on in PS3 lifespan, I doubt they see it as important other than for posturing sake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.