Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Yes....

Just curious. Is that a PCIe card with an SSD? What card is that and is that for OSX/Windows?

Also do you plan on internally mounting the PSU?

Velocity Solo X2 with a 500GB Samsung SSD - Running OS X - I tried for a week to get windows to boot from it but no-go. I emailed tech support a month ago asking about it and have had NO REPLY. So that's my answer I guess.

Yes, I'm going to install the PSU but I just haven't had a chance to shut my system down to do the install properly. So I figure it's getting a good burn-in while I find a time slot. Hopefully this weekend.

If interested here's some models and renders I've finished lately. These are what keep the beast tied up hours, days & weeks at a time.

http://grabcad.com/library/karl-erik-olsryd-9-cylinder-radial-wright-j-5-whirlwind

http://grabcad.com/library/spark-plug-high-detail

http://grabcad.com/library/rings-jewelry-gems

Once you get to the links to the images click on "Download" for full high resolution images.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Velocity Solo X2 with a 500GB Samsung SSD - Running OS X - I tried for a week to get windows to boot from it but no-go. I emailed tech support a month ago asking about it and have had NO REPLY. So that's my answer I guess.

Yes, I'm going to install the PSU but I just haven't had a chance to shut my system down to do the install properly. So I figure it's getting a good burn-in while I find a time slot. Hopefully this weekend.

If interested here's some models and renders I've finished lately. These are what keep the beast tied up hours, days & weeks at a time.

http://grabcad.com/library/karl-erik-olsryd-9-cylinder-radial-wright-j-5-whirlwind

http://grabcad.com/library/spark-plug-high-detail

http://grabcad.com/library/rings-jewelry-gems

Once you get to the links to the images click on "Download" for full high resolution images.
Nice work! Of course the gf had to overlook my computer screen when I was looking at the jewelry lol.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Job Complete !

Finished installing the Aux PSU. Of course I usually do things a little "Different". I wanted to run the 120v power to the aux psu from the main psu so I wouldn't have to deal with a extra power cord running about. The main psu is inches away so it seemed to make sense. The aux psu also needs 12v in the form of a molex connector. This is so it can turn on and off in conjunction with the mac powering on and off. The likely place to get this power from is from one of the sata connectors in the optical bay. This means you lose one of your sata connections. I wasn't ready to do that so I figured if I was going to be mucking around in the main psu I may as well draw both the required 120v and 12v from there. It all went well.

The cable assay's that come with the unit are nice but not real long. I really didn't want to cut them so I looked for a different solution. Found that if I mounted the psu upside-down & backasswards the cables would reach fine. I didn't like the idea of the aux psu's twin fans blowing air in the opposite direction of every other fan in the case. This could lead to stagnant air in the aux psu. So I opened up the aux psu and just flipped the fans around.

I still run a blu-ray drive and my bootcamp SSD in the drive bay along with the aux psu ! Sweet. I didn't use screws to secure the aux psu and that gave me enough room between the optical drive and the aux psu to slip a Samsung 500gb 840 SSD for my bootcamp.

Main PSU
1.jpeg

120v & 12v from main PSU
2.jpeg

I clipped a very small piece of aluminum to snake the cables through here.
3.jpeg

All cables in place and ready to button up.
4.jpeg

Flipping the aux psu fans.
5.jpeg

Snug as a bug….
6.jpeg

Complete !
7.jpeg

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Very tidy job! Could you add some more detail about the power tap? I'm interested in knowing how you drew the 120v and 12v relay to start the second PSU. Do you know for sure that you're not over-doing it?

What made you go for the Mac Pro PSU modification instead of running the second PSU power cable through the mesh of the Mac PSU?

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Very tidy job! Could you add some more detail about the power tap? I'm interested in knowing how you drew the 120v and 12v relay to start the second PSU. Do you know for sure that you're not over-doing it?

What made you go for the Mac Pro PSU modification instead of running the second PSU power cable through the mesh of the Mac PSU?

Yah, my question is a little different: if you managed to open the mesh of the original Mac Pro PSU, (and soldering wires might not be a problem for you, right?) You don't need to go for that external power. I think you can just use the Mac Pro power supply ( rated 980w) and lead two 6 pin cable out from it. That might be even neater.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
PSU Mod

I specifically didn't show how I tapped into the psu as I didn't want others who maybe shouldn't be tinkering in there in the first place using this as a 'guide' which it is not. If this is 'Inspiration' to others then so be it. I myself am very comfortable with what I did and where I tapped both the 120v & 12v. The 120 came right off the main leads of the macs power cord, just inside the psu. The 12v will be very obvious to anyone who has any business in there. So the aux psu is not "drawing" anything from the main psu except the the 12v to trigger it on or off. Same as if it was plugged into a sata power connector as intended. =)

There is no relay work involved. The 12v from the psu triggers the aux psu to turn on or off. The circuitry is already in the aux psu for that.

The mod was really very simple and to me beats the heck out of snaking another 120v line through your mac and out the back and across the floor....

Plus I needed to get at the 12v anyway as I didn't want to lose my precious sata connections.

P.S. There's no prying or cutting to open the psu. half dozen phillips screws and it opens up like a clam.

Okay... Here's the 120v tap. Right off the main plug connection. :)

8.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Yea But....

Yah, my question is a little different: if you managed to open the mesh of the original Mac Pro PSU, (and soldering wires might not be a problem for you, right?) You don't need to go for that external power. I think you can just use the Mac Pro power supply ( rated 980w) and lead two 6 pin cable out from it. That might be even neater.

980w < Enough

My Mac has more internals than Apple ever dreamed of stuffing in there. Processors beyond what Apple sells, each drawing 130 watts, 64 Gigs of ram, 4 HDs, 2 heavy duty graphics cards, velocity solo x2 pci-e, one optical drive, 500 gb SSD off the other optical drive sata.

Come to think of it, I'm completely tapped out. I don't have one more place anywhere in my Mac to plug in one more item ! Man I'm bummed.... :eek:

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Come to think if it, I'm completely tapped out. I don't have one more place anywhere in my Mac to plug in one more item ! Man I'm bummed.... :eek:

Don't be bummed, man. Replace the Velocity Solo with a 4-port SATA card, add this, and you've got room for four 2.5" SSDs/HDDs. That's 3 more drives inside!

BTW - great pictures and post.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I specifically didn't show how I tapped into the psu as I didn't want others who maybe shouldn't be tinkering in there in the first place using this as a 'guide' which it is not. I myself am very comfortable with what I did and where I tapped both the 120v & 12v. The 120 came right off the main leads of the macs power cord, just inside the psu. The 12v will be very obvious to anyone who has any business in there. So the aux psu is not "drawing" anything from the main psu except the the 12v to trigger it on or off. Same as if it was plugged into a sata power connector as intended. =)

There is no relay work involved. The 12v from the psu triggers the aux psu to turn on of off. The circuitry is already in the aux psu for that.

The mod was really very simple and to me beats the heck out of snaking another 120v line through your mac and out the back and across the floor....

Plus I needed to get at the 12v anyway as I didn't want to lose my precious sata connections.

P.S. There's no prying or cutting to open the psu. half dozen phillips screws and it opens up like a clam.

Okay... Here's the 120v tap. Right off the main plug connection. :)

That's awesome. :D

I did the exact same thing taking it all apart but just decided putting the extra plug in the back. +1 point for sneaking the 12v off the main power supply. I originally wanted to just have one plug and I'm sure the stock plug cable can handle the load of both PSUs. I also have my plug from my G5 quad and that sucker is thick but I never did try to see if that worked on the Mac Pro.

----------

Don't be bummed, man. Replace the Velocity Solo with a 4-port SATA card, add this, and you've got room for four 2.5" SSDs/HDDs. That's 3 more drives inside!

Wow. That's almost as cool as this http://www.apricorn.com/products/pci-sata-drive-array/pcie-drive-array-with-sil3124a-controller.html

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
That's awesome. :D

I did the exact same thing taking it all apart but just decided putting the extra plug in the back. +1 point for sneaking the 12v off the main power supply. I originally wanted to just have one plug and I'm sure the stock plug cable can handle the load of both PSUs. I also have my plug from my G5 quad and that sucker is thick but I never did try to see if that worked on the Mac Pro.

----------

Wow. That's almost as cool as this http://www.apricorn.com/products/pci-sata-drive-array/pcie-drive-array-with-sil3124a-controller.html

Ha.... You were my inspiration. Told my wife it was all your fault, so you're the fall guy.

----------

I'm brainstorming.... I think I could attach two of these units to the top of my mac like antlers !

DX4_im_3_v2.jpg

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
I'm using VisionTek PSU for my GTX 690 (see attachments).
Mac Pro 2008 has a hole for power wires near HDD Slot 1 (this slot used for 2.5" SSD, connection port unscrewed).
PSU rear panel is in front of Mac Pro and fans (2 front (or rear? :)) and 1 rear (or front?) are flipped into right way.

Attachments

• DSCF3091.JPG
    DSCF3091.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 452
  • DSCF3092.JPG
    DSCF3092.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 390
  • DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 314
  • DSCF3098.JPG
    DSCF3098.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 310

GPUFreak

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
what could possibly be the reason to waste 1000$ on GPU's that the MP can't even take full advantage of?

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Man

I'm using VisionTek PSU for my GTX 690 (see attachments).
Mac Pro 2008 has a hole for power wires near HDD Slot 1 (this slot used for 2.5" SSD, connection port unscrewed).
PSU rear panel is in front of Mac Pro and fans (2 front (or rear? :)) and 1 rear (or front?) are flipped into right way.

Man, those are some beefy cables.

Congrats on the card and clean install !

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Bragging rights

Bragging rights go pretty far in some circles.

I have to admit, I think every Mac Pro users would love for Stealth to come over and put 2 GTX 680's in their Pro case.

I'll have to play fox and the grapes with that setup tho, when I get my next Mac Pro. I don't like taking things apart that far...

But every Mac User would love that setup, or at least 96%+

It's sick :p

Oh it's like that Jimmy Fallon, "Would you like more cash" commercial...

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hmm tell me?

Using external power I have SLI'ed 2 @ GTX580 Classifieds. With my 5680s now running with 24GB of RAM, I can choose WIndows 8 and play any game I wish at full res on my 30". I can then click on Bootcamp and choose my OSX install and reboot.

Then I can work in Adobe Premiere with enough CUDA cores to create Terminator 4 or I can come post drivel on some tech/geek forum.

In short, I can do whatever I wish. And when I figure out EFI for GTX680/690 I will do it with those.

Some people are happy to settle for middle of the road, others like having the best stuff. If you are happy with middle of the road, good for you, you'll save a fortune over the course of your life. Some of us can't settle and will be forever upgrading.

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
And what is the point of all that when you don't have official support for the gtx680 on OSX? You're just risking your money on a bet that future releases of OSX wont break compatibility with your setup and NVIDIA'll continue, unofficially, to pump new drivers for the 600 series.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
And what is the point of all that when you don't have official support for the gtx680 on OSX? You're just risking your money on a bet that future releases of OSX wont break compatibility with your setup and NVIDIA'll continue, unofficially, to pump new drivers for the 600 series.

I dont see any issues with my 670 in 10.8.2. Let someone test the upcoming release before installing. Then you dont have to break anything....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.