Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Glad I didn't buy the ipad 4. The ipad 5 will no doubt see an all new re design. iPad 4 owners will feel more burned than the ipad 3 owners did after apple announced the ipad 4.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Digitimes cited an [...] industry source, Captain Obvious, as reporting that the screens would use a similar mix of suppliers to the iPad mini screen....

#fixed

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
first we'll get an iPad 4 with 128GB next month and a iOS7 introduction somewhere around may followed by the "all new" iPad in the fall including the final iOS 7
I can bet that there will be no iPad 4th Gen. w/ 128 GB. The 5th will be the first to offer this storage.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I seriously am getting tired of this garbage from Apple. I love my iPad, don't get me wrong, but the iPad 5 needs to do something revolutionary.

There has to be a point where any thinner and it just becomes pointless, lighter and more powerful, of course, something can only get so thin where it will start to be uncomfortable to hold.

romanhdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I seriously am getting tired of this garbage from Apple. I love my iPad, don't get me wrong, but the iPad 5 needs to do something revolutionary.

Like what? What does the iPad need so desperately? It's a tablet; It has a (damn good) screen, cameras, a processor, storage, and RAM. This device has only been on the market for 3 years. Saying that it needs a revolutionary change implies that the iPad is failing -- which we all know is not the case.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is great - not only is the mini's screen better quality because of a more dense ppi compared to the iPad 2 - this thinner lamination process allows for a clearer brighter, more accurate picture as well.

See iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 4S - same ppi, much different display quality.

The whole "thinner, lighter" thing is simply an added bonus imo.

----------

I can bet that there will be no iPad 4th Gen. w/ 128 GB. The 5th will be the first to offer this storage.

Have you missed all of the reports saying the 128 gb iPad will be released on Feb. 5th? no way that's a 5th gen.....

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Like what? What does the iPad need so desperately? It's a tablet; It has a (damn good) screen, cameras, a processor, storage, and RAM. This device has only been on the market for 3 years. Saying that it needs a revolutionary change implies that the iPad is failing -- which we all know is not the case.

There has to be a point where any thinner and it just becomes pointless, lighter and more powerful, of course, something can only get so thin where it will start to be uncomfortable to hold.

What Xiroteus said is mostly how I feel. I don't want it to be thin, I want a file structure, airdrop, etc. It just annoys me that Apple markets "thin" as huge selling point. It's not anymore.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

and i bet against it. iPad 4 with 128GB coming in 4 days

What Xiroteus said is mostly how I feel. I don't want it to be thin, I want a file structure, airdrop, etc. It just annoys me that Apple markets "thin" as huge selling point. It's not anymore.
a file system on an apple device? ull see ms selling a million surfaces before apple implements a filesystem. its against anything they stand for. they dont want u to look at "files" videos r supposed to simply play on an dedicated app like iTunes. they want files to "just work"

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
and i bet against it. iPad 4 with 128GB coming in 4 days

a file system on an apple device? ull see ms selling a million surfaces before apple implements a filesystem. its against anything they stand for. they dont want u to look at "files" videos r supposed to simply play on an dedicated app like iTunes. they want files to "just work"

It's too bad that they at least don't have stacks. I don't need it to be complicated, but stacks are the most useful thing on the mac and it would be awesome on the iPad. Just click a stack, select the file and it "Just works".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

What does this have to do with what your iPad does? Does making the device thinner and lighter stop it from doing something else? How often do we get rumors/scoops on new software features anyway?

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
'Thinner and Lighter'

This is the same story every month.... "The next Apple device, no matter which one we speak of will be..... WAIT FOR IT !!!!...... 'Thinner and Lighter'

We can all rest easy now, knowing what the future holds for us

yeah, lol.

I'm still waiting for the Red Planet roll-up voice control display:

red-planet-map-display.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
iPad mini stats prove it is a selling point. And how does making the iPad thinner and lighter prevent it from offering new/different software features?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
If its thinner and lighter and has the form factor of the Mini i'll be all over it :)

Doesn't bother me too much but the current iPad is heavy.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
iPad mini stats prove it is a selling point. And how does making the iPad thinner and lighter prevent it from offering new/different software features?

iPad mini proves that people wanted an 7-8 inch iPad. That was the selling point. Let's just say I have my doubts about Apple really doing anything new with the next iPad. I fully expect us all to be disappointed.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
wait what, I thought the next ipad was gonna be heavier and thicker!! WOW.

Thank god for these sources leaking such amazing, informative info about the next ipad. I would be completely in the dark otherwise

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I just want lighter, don't really care if its thinner, but I guess with one you get the other.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
At some point you reach too thin. Do I want a device I can bend in my hand or feels cheap? Not really. My retina MBP is thin. How much thinner do I want that?

Thin + solid is one thing. But for the most part, these things are thin and hollow. Devices need to be usable and durable too.

The iPad can afford to be thinner. An iPad mini profile would be perfect on the full size. After holding the mini, my iPad 3 feels bulky and heavy.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Glad I didn't buy the ipad 4. The ipad 5 will no doubt see an all new re design. iPad 4 owners will feel more burned than the ipad 3 owners did after apple announced the ipad 4.

Anyone who purchased an iPad 4 should've known better, knowing that the iPad 4 wasn't much different from the first 3 versions. I think some iPhone 5 owners will also feel burned if Apple decides to release an iPhone with a larger display this year, something that may be necessary to turn around Apple's plunging stock.

BRO,RUMAD?

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Austin, TX
Wait a minute. If this is going to use the iPad mini's screen technology, then does that mean the resolution will go down to 1024X768?!?!?! :eek: :D

/s /s /s

Last edited:

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Anyone who purchased an iPad 4 should've known better, knowing that the iPad 4 wasn't much different from the first 3 versions. I think some iPhone 5 owners will also feel burned if Apple decides to release an iPhone with a larger display this year, something that may be necessary to turn around Apple's plunging stock.

I don't understand this mentality. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 4. I feel no remorse and won't think any less of these products even if the next generations are much better, faster, lighter, etc. If you have to have the lastest Apple item to vindicate your exisstance or make yourself happy you may want to examine your priorities. #firstworldproblems

Besides, Apple is THE luxury product with great resale value. Upgrading is not that cost prohibitive if the next gen is truly a must have. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.