Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
austin, tx
1:
So I got my new imac and digging it so far, but when i put it to sleep, there is no indication that it is so it appears to be turned off.
PLEASE tell me there's suppose to be a blinking light for sleep...

2:
If i use migration from my Macbook Pro, will it allow me to select only specific applications and/or files?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I got my new imac and digging it so far, but when i put it to sleep, there is no indication that it is so it appears to be turned off.
PLEASE tell me there's suppose to be a blinking light for sleep...
Based on other posts in this forum, the aluminum iMac never had a sleep indicator light.
If i use migration from my Macbook Pro, will it allow me to select only specific applications and/or files?
Yes.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Good to know about migration.

But a real bummer about iMacs not having a sleep light :shakehead:

I know plenty of people with iMacs in bedrooms (think students) and the blinking light can be a real pain. I once had to put a thick black rubber sticker over the light on an old iMac for just that reason. My in-laws have theirs in a guest bedroom, that gets use when everyone is in town. It can be very disruptive to those sensitive to light. I'm glad they did away with it. Why do you need to have a blinking light? Much less useful than say an internal optical drive.

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
austin, tx
I know plenty of people with iMacs in bedrooms (think students) and the blinking light can be a real pain. I once had to put a thick black rubber sticker over the light on an old iMac for just that reason. My in-laws have theirs in a guest bedroom, that gets use when everyone is in town. It can be very disruptive to those sensitive to light. I'm glad they did away with it. Why do you need to have a blinking light? Much less useful than say an internal optical drive.

If it was so useless why is it on many computers... even (apple) laptops where one would be opening and closing the lid anyway? So obviously it serves a purpose.

It doesnt have to be very bright. The camera green light could potentially serve this purpose w/ an option to turn it off for those sensitive to light.

Omitting it all together is ridiculous imo

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
If it was so useless why is it on many computers... even (apple) laptops where one would be opening and closing the lid anyway? So obviously it serves a purpose.

It doesnt have to be very bright. The camera green light could potentially serve this purpose w/ an option to turn it off for those sensitive to light.

Just select make the on off button "wake from sleep" when pressed option in the preferences. That way if you accidentally hit the on off button and it's in sleep mode, it wakes it up. If the computer is off, then it turns it on.

I use my imac in my bedroom and certainly don't need a light on it. What was the last imac to have a sleep lamp? My 2008 didn't have one.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

There are lots of things that it would be ridiculous to omit. Say, a Firewire 800 port, ODD, VESA mount, Audio In port... All things that are somewhat more useful than a blinking light. Now maybe if it was Red, and said things like "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that." Then I might Think Differently! :D

There never was an option to disable it. I kind of doubt Apple would spend the money to put in a relatively useless part, then more money to have someone write code to turn off the useless part. Trying to double duty the camera indicator light could cause all kinds of issues, such as making people think the camera is on (real smart for those changing clothes in their bedroom) or open it up to security flaws where hackers might have an easier time turning the light off while the camera is on. Again, camera on without your knowledge.

Just select make the on off button "wake from sleep" when pressed option in the preferences. That way if you accidentally hit the on off button and it's in sleep mode, it wakes it up. If the computer is off, then it turns it on.

I use my imac in my bedroom and certainly don't need a light on it. What was the last imac to have a sleep lamp? My 2008 didn't have one.

I'd swear my in-laws is a 2008, and it has one. They ordered theirs during the back to school deal and ended up with a first gen iPod Touch (second gen came out September 2008. When did the Early 2008 iMac come out.

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Based on other posts in this forum, the aluminum iMac never had a sleep indicator light.

Yes.

HOGWASH to answer #2, when you use Setup Assistant or Migration you can only select all Data, all Apps, all Settings, etc... you cannot specify individual file or folders!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
HOGWASH to answer #2, when you use Setup Assistant or Migration you can only select all Data, all Apps, all Settings, etc... you cannot specify individual file or folders!
Apparently that changed with later versions, as you could absolutely make more specific selections, at least through Snow Leopard:
HT4413_16.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.