Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a report from The NPD Group, Apple's iPhone 5 was the top selling phone during the final quarter of 2012, comprising 43 percent of all iPhone sales and accounting for nearly two thirds of all post-paid smartphone sales above $199.

npdgroupsmartphonesales.jpg
Samsung's Galaxy S III was the second most popular smartphone in Q4 2012, while Apple's iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 also sold well, taking the third and fourth spots on NPD's list of top-selling mobile phones in the U.S. The SIII's predecessor, the SII, was the fifth best selling phone during the holiday quarter.

A report earlier today from Strategy Analytics ranked Apple as the largest mobile phone vendor in the U.S. during Q4 2012, which is in accordance with NPD's data, which places Apple with 39 percent of overall smartphone sales, compared to Samsung's 30 percent.

npdsmartphonemarketshare.jpg
Combined, Apple and Samsung accounted for almost 70 percent of smartphone sales, with Motorola, HTC, and LG lagging behind.

Article Link: NPD Group: iPhone 5 Was the Top Selling Phone in Q4 2012

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
When it comes to these kind of estimates from the likes of Strategy Analytics, NPD and IDC, I am far more interested in the "consensus numbers" than the individual data points. Unfortunately, we only get a pool of about 3 or 4 individual data points with which to develop a consensus.

Before an AAPL earnings call you get about 50 data points to derive a consensus. Then AAPL of course announces actual numbers to compare against the estimates. So those 50 data points get grounded in reality every 90 days.

The numbers for the likes of Samsung never get grounded and simply compound errors and exaggerations quarter after quarter and year after year.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Ouch poor HTC!

What I don't understand is why all those analyst don't talk about profit margins, net profits, separate markets (US, Europe, rest of the world would be nice... for now).

I would also like to know how Samsung profits are divided between business divisions, I would like to know how much money Apple is giving them for their components (just to know how much of their revenues are dependent on Apple).

I want analyst to do the work so I can be the lazy one ^^.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
The thing I am (for whatever reason) most shocked about is the 57% of people buying a iPhone 4 or 4S still.

I'm not saying they won't last, because they will, but I thought at least half would be 5's.

I would like to see the 4 and 4S split, I think buying a 4 now is interesting! Came out in 2010!

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
The thing I am (for whatever reason) most shocked about is the 57% of people buying a iPhone 4 or 4S still.

I'm not saying they won't last, because they will, but I thought at least half would be 5's.

I would like to see the 4 and 4S split, I think buying a 4 now is interesting! Came out in 2010!

But you have to remember they are also free with a 2 year contract for many carriers. Not everyone is willing/able to buy the most recent iteration. And if you're getting a free phone anyway--it might as well be an iPhone.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Apple is DOOMED!

----------

But you have to remember they are also free with a 2 year contract for many carriers. Not everyone is willing/able to buy the most recent iteration. And if you're getting a free phone anyway--it might as well be an iPhone.

If you can afford $100/month for the two year contract, you should be able to afford a $200 iPhone 5.

total cost over two years-
iPhone 5: $2,600
iPhone 4s: $2,500
iPhone 4: $2,400

you essentially get a 8% discount for buying a 2 1/2 year old phone.

Last edited:

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
BTW. After hearing all the rave about android .. I went out today and bought me a nexus 4 .. So far .. Yes the customisation is great and the UI is pure android with no lard .. But so far I'm really not digging the phone .. The touch response is choppy .. The battery life is as bad as my 4s and scrolling
Is no way as responsive as my beloved iOS .. Been an iPhone user since the 3G and has upgraded to 3GS and then to a 4s .. I know for
People who have been using its for a long time the interface may seem
Boring and repetitive .. But I can say this for sure .. I'm
So glad i didn't sell my 4s yet .. The nexus can't even handle PDFs which I
Use for work well .. I might have a different opinion in a few days .. But so far .. LONG LIVE IPHONE is all I can say :)

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

I know, I just am surprised that many people are going for it probably knowing that at this point it's 30 months old...

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I know, I just am surprised that many people are going for it probably knowing that at this point it's 30 months old...

I'm with you. I could see people going for the iPhone 4s because they want a smaller screen, but anyone going for the iPhone 4 simply doesn't understand economics.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007

Still?

Apple was still selling the iPhone 3GS the day that the iPhone 5 was announced. After the announcement, it was taken off the online store, but was still on display and being sold in the retail stores until inventory ran out.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Still?

Apple was still selling the iPhone 3GS the day that the iPhone 5 was announced. After the announcement, it was taken off the online store, but was still on display and being sold in the retail stores until inventory ran out.

Yes still, I know they sold the 3GS nearly until the 5 was introduced, but I just can't believe so many people are buying the older models.

It's the % that surprises me, not that so many are.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I find it funny how 3, 4, and 5 aren't other top phones from other companies, but instead old products by Apple and Samsung. Sucks to be the other OEMs.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You have to remember that most people think short term and impulse. So they are very willing to take on a $100 per month contract to get what they perceive as a "free" phone as long as it costs them nothing upfront out the door. Even though over the course of the contract they're only saving $200 by not buying the latest model.

Even if someone actually preferred the 4 or 4S over the 5 it's still smarter to use the upgrade on a 5 and then sell it. That way you would be left with enough money to get the 4/4s plus have some cash left over. The average consumer doesn't think that way though.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I figured the iphone 5 would be at the top, considering it actually came out in Q4, whereas I'm sure the GS3 came out a before the 4Q. Over half of apple phones sold were the 4/4s, increasing share lost to Samsung, it leads up to the opinion that the iphone 5 was not the runaway hit it should/need to be.

I mean damn Apple actually lost 2% in the Q4, even with the ''great'' iphone sales, whereas samsung gained 9% in the same span (galaxy note 2 prolly helped with this). I know Apple is #1 in the U.S right now, but they need to be more innovative w/their flagship product (iphone) or they will be in a very tight race soon.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Apple is DOOMED!

----------

If you can afford $100/month for the two year contract, you should be able to afford a $200 iPhone 5.

total cost over two years-
iPhone 5: $2,600
iPhone 4s: $2,500
iPhone 4: $2,400

you essentially get a 8% discount for buying a 2 1/2 year old phone.

Good point. Never really thought of it that way. But I guess people figure they're paying the contract anyway and don't want to pay the premium for upgrade. I don't know man I'm not a rocket surgeon.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So im confused , the iPhone 5 outsold the S3 globally in the 4th quarter or just in the U.S?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
All these stats....

Some say iPhone is #1. (Is it just for US?)

Others put iPhone at #4 (Is this worldwide?)

So, globally, how does Apple rank?

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I figured the iphone 5 would be at the top, considering it actually came out in Q4, whereas I'm sure the GS3 came out a before the 4Q. Over half of apple phones sold were the 4/4s, increasing share lost to Samsung, it leads up to the opinion that the iphone 5 was not the runaway hit it should/need to be.

I mean damn Apple actually lost 2% in the Q4, even with the ''great'' iphone sales, whereas samsung gained 9% in the same span (galaxy note 2 prolly helped with this). I know Apple is #1 in the U.S right now, but they need to be more innovative w/their flagship product (iphone) or they will be in a very tight race soon.

Yea the galaxy s3 came out almost a year ago so it would make sense apple sells more a year later when they release a competitor.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
According to a report from The NPD Group, Apple's iPhone 5 was the top selling phone during the final quarter of 2012, comprising 43 percent of all iPhone sales and accounting for nearly two thirds of all post-paid smartphone sales above $199.

I'm not sure the numbers from the NPD report add up. So this is for the US only ... and only Q4-2012.

So Apple sells about 16 to 17 million iPhones in the US during that time. They sold 48 million globally. Tim Cook said in the conference call that the mix of iPhone5 vs. 4/4S were essentially the same from a year ago when loooking at the 4S vs. the 4/3GS. I can't quite remember for sure, but I seem to recall that the 4S was about 80% of the mix from the 2011 holiday quarter.

Also, look at the average selling price of the iPhone for the quarter. It held steady at about $645 per iPhone. The 4 and 4S go for $450 and $550. If these two models comprised of 57% of the total, you would expect the ASP to be closer to $600. Unless the iPhone5 sales skewed towards the 32GB and 64GB models, or the rest of the world had a higher mix of iPhone5's vs. 4/4S.

Not sure where NPD got their data, but it looks a little suspect to me.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.