Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Ok so I just got a Macbook Pro, and been playing around with it. I love it. Itunes, App store, so many things to learn. Of course I do have some things I always did on a PC and wondering how or if I can on a mac.

1. Burning avis,mkvs, etc to DVD to play on PS3. Videos, etc.. I used IMG burn to do it on PC, any program as fast or easy as IMG burn? can I play avis and stuff with VLC?

2. On safari, with a pc you can right click a link and "open page in new tab", how do you do that on a Mac?

3. does the macbook pro allow live wallpapers? And wheres the best place or way to find wallpapers?

4. How do you adjust setting in a mac? things like screen resolution, HD,?

5. How do you delete something you downloaded but dont want anymore? And is there a way to delete the install file also? Clear the whole thing?

6. Does Mac have a system restore or a way to go back to when I first installed mountain lion?

7. And last (at least for now) in the tray at bottom how do you hide things you dont need? For instance I do not use reminders, notes, calander, contacts, etc... anyway to hide them or do something with them?

So far I am loving mac and so happy I finally decided to pony up the little bit of extra money over getting a new PC....

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Ok so I just got a Macbook Pro, and been playing around with it. I love it. Itunes, App store, so many things to learn. Of course I do have some things I always did on a PC and wondering how or if I can on a mac.

1. Burning avis,mkvs, etc to DVD to play on PS3. Videos, etc.. I used IMG burn to do it on PC, any program as fast or easy as IMG burn? can I play avis and stuff with VLC?
VLC can play back almost any format, including the old .avi format (depending on the codec though).
Burn can be used to make simple video DVDs.
How to burn a video DVD in [URL="http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html"]Burn[/URL]:
example below uses an .avi file, but it can also be applied to an .mp4 or .mov file

BURN_video-dvd_1.png

BURN_video-dvd_2.png

BURN_video-dvd_3.png

BURN_video-dvd_4.png

2. On safari, with a pc you can right click a link and "open page in new tab", how do you do that on a Mac?
You can do the same with a two button mouse, or CTRL+MOUSECLICK or enable right-clicking in System Preferences > Trackpad.

3. does the macbook pro allow live wallpapers? And wheres the best place or way to find wallpapers?
What are "live wallpapers"? http://www.interfacelift.com is a good source for wallpapers, you set them in System Preferences > Desktop & Screensavers > Desktop.

System Preferences > Displays is for changing screen resolutions. What is "HD"? Hard Disk? What setting do you want to change there?

5. How do you delete something you downloaded but dont want anymore? And is there a way to delete the install file also? Clear the whole thing?
You select the file, then either right click on it and select MOVE TO TRASH, or press CMD+BACKSPACE, or drag the file to the Trash in the Dock (the most right icon).
Installing Applications in Mac OS X

6. Does Mac have a system restore or a way to go back to when I first installed mountain lion?

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

7. And last (at least for now) in the tray at bottom how do you hide things you dont need? For instance I do not use reminders, notes, calander, contacts, etc... anyway to hide them or do something with them?
That is called the Dock.*
You remove items via right-clicking on them and choosing REMOVE FROM DOCK.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Basic Mac OS X Graphical User Interface (GUI) Elements
clickable for bigger picture
2011_11_15_pB1_MacOSX-GUI-Elements.png

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
thanks. Also on the desktop (as a pc calls it) on my screen there is a white box. I downloaded transmission, and I have it in my dock, but then there is this white box on screen that says it also. What is it, and how do I move or delete this from my screen? It looks like a Hard drive I guess.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

So far I am loving mac and so happy I finally decided to pony up the little bit of extra money over getting a new PC....

1. Are you burning the raw video file to the disc? Or converting it to something like MPEG2 and then burning it to DVD? VLC can play AVI video files on your Mac though.

2. Same thing on Safari on Mac? You can alternatively hold the Command key while clicking a link and it will open said link in a new tab.

3. There are apps in the Mac App Store that do this.

4. System Preferences, icon looks very similar to the Settings.app on iOS.

5. Move it to the trash can. You can delete the .dmg file after you install the application. Usually you install apps either from the Mac App Store or by dragging the app icon in a .dmg file to your Applications folder.

6. Yes, there is Internet Recovery. Or you can create your own ML USB installer or ML install disc.

7. You can drag icons on/off the dock. If you drag them out of the dock and let go, they will vanish in a poof animation.

Nov 28, 2010
located
thanks. Also on the desktop (as a pc calls it) on my screen there is a white box. I downloaded transmission, and I have it in my dock, but then there is this white box on screen that says it also. What is it, and how do I move or delete this from my screen? It looks like a Hard drive I guess.

That is the downloaded and mounted disk image. You eject it via selecting it and either pressing CMD+E, or right clicking it and selecting EJECT or dragging it to the Trash, which will eject the mounted disk image. The actual DMG is still in the folder you store your downloaded files in.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
So there is no way to delete everything and reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch again? My laptop did not come with a dvd, I opened it, had to connect to internet and download mountain lion. Would I be able to do that over again in case I wanted to?

thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
So there is no way to delete everything and reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch again? My laptop did not come with a dvd, I opened it, had to connect to internet and download mountain lion. Would I be able to do that over again in case I wanted to?

thanks

Yes. Please look at post #2 and its links to see the available methods to do so, and once 10.8.3 is released, you can even create a bootable installer.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Click it, press Command + E to eject it and it will be gone. Also remember to remove the associated .dmg file to the trash and empty the trash.

The white box can be thought of as a drive that is mounted on your machine. Once mounted, you can access it. External hard drives, USB flash drives, CDs, DVDs, etc. all are "mounted" and appear on the desktop. You can unmount these by pressing the eject key for disc media (CD, DVD, etc.) or using the keyboard shortcut Command + E. Some Macs don't have an eject key (usually a rectangle with a triangle on top) like MacBook Airs because eject key is associated with disc media and MacBook Airs don't have an optical disc drive.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
That is the downloaded and mounted disk image. You eject it via selecting it and either pressing CMD+E, or right clicking it and selecting EJECT or dragging it to the Trash, which will eject the mounted disk image. The actual DMG is still in the folder you store your downloaded files in.

Ok thanks I tried those, and it says it cant be done because it is still in use? Although I am not using transmission right now?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ok thanks I tried those, and it says it cant be done because it is still in use? Although I am not using transmission right now?

How did you install the app, did you follow the instructions I linked to twice?

As far as I can gather, you seem to have dragged the DMG onto the Dock or the Transmission app onto the Dock directly from the mounted DMG, but have not dragged Transmission from the mounted DMG into the Applications folder and then dragged the Transmission app from that folder onto the Dock. If that is so, remove the Transmission icon from the Dock and install it properly by dragging it into the Applications folder.

The Dock is just a shortcut holder, not an actual place to store files.

And also invest in an external HDD for backing up your valuable and not easily recreate-able data via Time Machine.
Time Machine FAQ

And also invest some time in the articles/guides I linked to. It will save you some frustration and let you get to know the OS, since it is a bit different from Windows.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
How did you install the app, did you follow the instructions I linked to twice?

As far as I can gather, you seem to have dragged the DMG onto the Dock or the Transmission app onto the Dock directly from the mounted DMG, but have not dragged Transmission from the mounted DMG into the Applications folder and then dragged the Transmission app from that folder onto the Dock. If that is so, remove the Transmission icon from the Dock and install it properly by dragging it into the Applications folder.

The Dock is just a shortcut holder, not an actual place to store files.

And also invest in an external HDD for backing up your valuable and not easily recreate-able data via Time Machine.
Time Machine FAQ

And also invest some time in the articles/guides I linked to. It will save you some frustration and let you get to know the OS, since it is a bit different from Windows.
I finally found a way to move it to trash, I right clicked the icon in dock and hit quit, then was able to move the thing on screen to trash, Now transmission doesnt show up anywhere that I can find. Unless I didnt delete it all the way. IDK
so I went to their site again,
I downloaded it from their site, then click the download file and hit open, then it opened a box that showed transmission and it showed up in the dock. No option to drag to apps, and when I click finder to open up apps, it doesnt do anything, like transmission box thats open is the finder. I am trying to delete it again.

Definatly having to get used to some things for sure. I appreicate all the help so far.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I finally found a way to move it to trash, I right clicked the icon in dock and hit quit, then was able to move the thing on screen to trash, Now transmission doesnt show up anywhere that I can find. Unless I didnt delete it all the way. IDK
You did not install it properly.
Before going any further: Installing Applications in Mac OS X

so I went to their site again,
I downloaded it from their site, then click the download file and hit open, then it opened a box that showed transmission and it showed up in the dock. No option to drag to apps, and when I click finder to open up apps, it doesnt do anything, like transmission box thats open is the finder. I am trying to delete it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.