Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
We are looking for beta testers for Rome and Empire updates and the best ones might just get early access to Napoleon if anyone is interested... :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
We are looking for beta testers for Rome and Empire updates and the best ones might just get early access to Napoleon if anyone is interested... :)

Not interested in this, but when you're looking for Xcom beta testers...I'm so there.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
All our games ship on DVD and all the popular Mac digital download stores like MacGamesStore and AppStore. We don't however support Steam at this time.

The DVD usually ships a few weeks after the download due to manufacturing and shipping overhead compared to download.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I currently have empire total war on my mac which runs great. Will the system requirements for napoleon total war be the same, I have seen a growing thread of games requiring a 1gb video card. However my mid 2010 iMac uses a 512 ati video card will my system be able to run it.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Would love to get Napoleon Total War, adding it to my To Buy list. Been a wargamer since the old days when there were REAL wargames from companies like Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW. The kids wouldn't know what I'm referring to.

And of course, most grognards today have gone digital.... mostly playing the sophisticated strategy games based on Paradox's Europa Universalis engine.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I currently have empire total war on my mac which runs great. Will the system requirements for napoleon total war be the same, I have seen a growing thread of games requiring a 1gb video card. However my mid 2010 iMac uses a 512 ati video card will my system be able to run it.

They will be very similar to Empire. Your Mac will play the game fine on release.

Edwin

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Would love to get Napoleon Total War, adding it to my To Buy list. Been a wargamer since the old days when there were REAL wargames from companies like Avalon Hill, SPI and GDW. The kids wouldn't know what I'm referring to.

Avalon Hill! SPI! Those were the days.... Sigh....

(though, to be honest, back then we would have died just to be able to imagine something like these games are now...)

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster

(though, to be honest, back then we would have died just to be able to imagine something like these games are now...)
Fair to say, back then most of us probably never even imagined games like the Total War series.

FWIW, even more recently (ie. 1990s) I've played some of those massive Avalon Hill board games with dedicated war-gaming friends over successive weekends. Some that come to mind, "The Russian Campaign", a certain "Napoleonic" game (probably "Waterloo"), et al.

IMO, though in some ways those games can't compare with the best modern-day war games, like the "Total War" series, as a fun, if a little intense, social event they probably still more than cut it. :rolleyes:

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
All our games ship on DVD and all the popular Mac digital download stores like MacGamesStore and AppStore. We don't however support Steam at this time.

The DVD usually ships a few weeks after the download due to manufacturing and shipping overhead compared to download.

I'm sure this has been answered previously, but why do you not support Steam? :)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

My uncle brought a copy of Avalon Hill's Gettysburg back from the USA in 1966.

I also remember the magazine Strategy and Tactics SPI back in the 1970's.

I was lucky to have parents who didn't mind that I took over one of the spare bedrooms to set up War in Europe.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Fair to say, back then most of us probably never even imagined games like the Total War series.

FWIW, even more recently (ie. 1990s) I've played some of those massive Avalon Hill board games with dedicated war-gaming friends over successive weekends. Some that come to mind, "The Russian Campaign", a certain "Napoleonic" game (probably "Waterloo"), et al.

IMO, though in some ways those games can't compare with the best modern-day war games, like the "Total War" series, as a fun, if a little intense, social event they probably still more than cut it. :rolleyes:

IMHO, the modern-day computerized wargames have come a long way. Of course they don't compare to the social aspect of face-to-face tabletop wargaming with friends, pizza and beer included! Still the modern PC/Mac wargames are every bit as sophisticated these days. One caveat I noticed, however, is the slight tendency to "dumb down" the historical detail of these computer wargames. Why? Maybe the designers/developers just aren't true military historians. Or possibly because the game has to be more "gamey" (focusing more on the graphics flash factor) for the sake of sales to the masses, which means they do have to dumb down the realism and historical/tactical detail aspects a bit.

After all, any wargame that gets too detailed and too historically accurate, might possibly have a steep learning curve for most people, and that could translate into poor sales of the PC/Mac game. I guess it's a tradeoff we have to live with.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I'm sure this has been answered previously, but why do you not support Steam? :)

We can't go into details but essentially the licensing model Steam launched with was not feasible for Feral. This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.

gregorsamsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
IMHO, the modern-day computerized wargames have come a long way. Of course they don't compare to the social aspect of face-to-face tabletop wargaming with friends, pizza and beer included! Still the modern PC/Mac wargames are every bit as sophisticated these days. One caveat I noticed, however, is the slight tendency to "dumb down" the historical detail of these computer wargames. Why? Maybe the designers/developers just aren't true military historians. Or possibly because the game has to be more "gamey" (focusing more on the graphics flash factor) for the sake of sales to the masses, which means they do have to dumb down the realism and historical/tactical detail aspects a bit.

After all, any wargame that gets too detailed and too historically accurate, might possibly have a steep learning curve for most people, and that could translate into poor sales of the PC/Mac game. I guess it's a tradeoff we have to live with.

Agreed & I think you hit the nail on the head with your last point. Though many war/strategy gamers appreciate realism & a good degree of complexity, they're satisfied to have some trade-off compromises.

I mean, the Avalon Hill board games I played even factored in various weather conditions which, if particularly bad (eg. lots of rain, mud, etc.) meant that in some games ("Waterloo") you couldn't do much at all until the weather improved. :rolleyes:

Overall, I think that the Total War series probably has just the right balance.

However, if you're interested in greater historical accuracy, some war games on PC do replicate historical details faithfully enough.

Games like "Take Command: 2nd Manassas", are graphically rich, but have battlefields based on actual historical records held at the Library of Congress. The maps, allotment of troops, ballistics, etc. are as realistic as possible.

Though it allows for some optional customization, maybe a game worth Bootcamping for those wanting much greater historical accuracy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-Comman...0?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1360141167&sr=1-10

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Also if it is too realistic it would not be fun, games are meant to be fun the real napoleonic wars took the lives of 5-7 million (about 5%) of Europe's population, that is far from being fun.

On top of all the killing, real battles also took days if not weeks to complete so a little artistic license is needed if you are to make any type of dramatisation of history, be that games, books or film. That said the total realism mods are pretty realistic in terms of weapons, tactics etc.

Edwin

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
We can't go into details but essentially the licensing model Steam launched with was not feasible for Feral. This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.

It's changed now, though. Aspyr was able to release a Mac-only version of Black Ops.

I've always wondered how they make money off of their SteamPlay games. They posted a while back that they only get paid if the user plays on the Mac side the most for the first week. So if you bought, say, the civ v expansion before the Mac version was released and played it in bootcamp, Aspyr wouldn't receive anything, even if you completely switched over to the Mac version later.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It's changed now, though. Aspyr was able to release a Mac-only version of Black Ops.

I've always wondered how they make money off of their SteamPlay games. They posted a while back that they only get paid if the user plays on the Mac side the most for the first week. So if you bought, say, the civ v expansion before the Mac version was released and played it in bootcamp, Aspyr wouldn't receive anything, even if you completely switched over to the Mac version later.

I can't and won't go into detail but I will refer the honourable poster to the following line in my previous reply.

This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.