Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
Hi Applejuiced (and anyone else who can offer a noob some basic advice!)

I'm still running iOS5.0.1 on my 4S which was JB'd with Absinthe/greenpois0n pretty much soon after it was announced.

Question 1:
Will there be direct 'upgrade' route to evasi0n/6.1 or.....will I have to un-JB my 5.0.1 [somehow] and then officially upgrade to 6.1 via Apple [OTA or iTunes] and THEN JB 6.1 with evasi0n?

What I think:
From reading around, my understanding is:
- Back everything up in iTunes
- Use AptBackup to backup Cydia tweaks/apps
- Install 6.0.1 via iTunes - this will replace my 5.0.1 JB with a fresh Apple 6.0.1

Question 2: then what!?
- I read that I should restore my iTunes backup. Will this not be compromised because I backed up a JB version of 5.0.1?

Finally...
- Jailbreak using Evasi0n

Question 3:
Will I lose anything in the process? SMS msgs? Configurations made in settings app?

Hope you can help - would appreciate some advice!

Thanks in advance!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

I'm still running iOS5.0.1 on my 4S which was JB'd with Absinthe/greenpois0n pretty much soon after it was announced.

Question 1:
Will there be direct 'upgrade' route to evasi0n/6.1 or.....will I have to un-JB my 5.0.1 [somehow] and then officially upgrade to 6.1 via Apple [OTA or iTunes] and THEN JB 6.1 with evasi0n?

What I think:
- Install 6.0.1 via iTunes - this will replace my 5.0.1 JB with a fresh Apple 6.0.1

- I read that I should restore my iTunes backup. Will this not be compromised because I backed up a JB version of 5.0.1?

Finally...

Question 3:
Will I lose anything in the process? SMS msgs? Configurations made in settings app?

Thanks in advance!

answered multiple times in this and other threads

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Question 1:

What I think:

Finally...

Question 3:

Thanks in advance!

There's never a direct way to upgrade a JB iphone and stay JB.
You always have to upgrade to the new stock firmware using itunes and then JB it again. Then install all your cydia stuff etc...
After you update to 6.1 using itunes you can restore from your backup, its ok.
I wouldnt use aptbackup or any batch installer yet. Most cydia packages will take time to be upgraded to work with 6.1 so if you install something that's not ready yet for the 6.1 you might get stuck at the apple logo.
So install stuff one by one or after you get confirmation by others that the particular package works or has been updated to work with the latest JB firmware.

wake8260

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Never seen that before.

I would turn on iCloud backup on your phone, back it up through there, then DFU restore it to 6.1. Then, restore to iCloud backup on the phone, and then if you prefer using iTunes backups, turn off iCloud backups and retry the iTunes backup and see what happens.

Thanks. I was hoping to figure out the issue before going this route.

jalman11

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
new question

Why does the initial post say

•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)

does that mean I won't be able to do a fresh restore with itunes to 6.1 then jailbreak?

I was considering swapping my phone in today or tomorrow under the warranty.

Thanks!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Why does the initial post say

•devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)

does that mean I won't be able to do a fresh restore with itunes to 6.1 then jailbreak?

I was considering swapping my phone in today or tomorrow under the warranty.

Thanks!

Well you can't just swap unless you're within the return period, since there is nothing wrong with your phone.

That message is fine, it just means beware to people with factory refurbs. I've had refurbs and replacements and been fine.

Save your blobs locally as you would normally, pay no mind to that "error".

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
The message refers to re-restoring or downgrading.
You can do that only if it was an itunes restore with blobs.

Refurbs might have been updated OTA, so results may vary on downgrading or re-restoring to 5.x

If you get a refurb first thing do is dfu-restore it in itunes, and after that save your blobs.

You can jailbreak when it's out

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
There's never a direct way to upgrade a JB iphone and stay JB.
You always have to upgrade to the new stock firmware using itunes and then JB it again. Then install all your cydia stuff etc...
After you update to 6.1 using itunes you can restore from your backup, its ok.
I wouldnt use aptbackup or any batch installer yet. Most cydia packages will take time to be upgraded to work with 6.1 so if you install something that's not ready yet for the 6.1 you might get stuck at the apple logo.
So install stuff one by one or after you get confirmation by others that the particular package works or has been updated to work with the latest JB firmware.

Thanks very much Applejuiced - appreciate you taking time to respond.

I was really unsure as to whether a backed up jailbroken 5.0.1 can be 'restored' to a fresh/stock 6.0.1 - so you've allied my fears by confirming this is fine.

Great point regarding not using a batch installer, I had not considered some packages won't be 6.x compatible just yet. Thanks for pointing it out!!

FlingZXC

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I saved my SHSH BLOBS for ipod touch using tinyumbrella. I saw my SHSH blobs saved in my files named as "ipod5,1-6,1.shsh" So i am done for this ?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Why do we need to restore? I just plugged my iPad in, it said 6.1 update was available so I clicked download and update.
Anything else I need to do? I just want my iPad as it is, jailbroken. I won't update if any new updates come out

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why do we need to restore? I just plugged my iPad in, it said 6.1 update was available so I clicked download and update.
Anything else I need to do? I just want my iPad as it is, jailbroken. I won't update if any new updates come out

If you did it with iTunes you're ok.
Just don't update OTA from within the phones settings/general/software update section.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
I'm assuming you've modified your host file before. Edit your host file by putting a # in front of the 74.208.10.249 line. The host file should be located in your etc folder. After that, save it and try your restore again.

hi sorry to bother.

dunno why i can't update my os using itunes, keep getting this
3WoUxmu.png

even tried restoring but to no avail.
u have mentioned abt editing the host file and the problem should be resolved.

do u mind guiding me how should i go abt as i'm really noob when it comes to this.

thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.