Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soloquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Hello, first newbe post here.

Just bought my Dad a new iMac (Mountain Lion 10.8)
I am using MBP 17" Leopard 10.5.8
We are not in the same building or on a mutual network except for the internet.
I want to share (control) his screen so that I may help teach him how to use the Mac. He has never used one before.

I am familiar with screen sharing in ichat in 10.5, and I haven't used or seen Mountain Lion 10.8 until I set up his machine.

How can I screen share with him so that I can control his screen from my Mac. I hope this is possible between the two different OS versions.

Thanks! :)

soloquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Over 700 views and not one reply.:( Is it even possible to screen share the desktop on a 10.8 Mac FROM a 10.5.8 Mac?

C'mon genius's... I know you're out there!
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::)

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Personally, I would get off of 10.5 first. The browser you are using is probably outdated, and SL would run better.

If you need to stay on Leopard, I would recommend this.

As for your actual question, I have heard good things about Teamviewer. I have never needed to use it.

----------

Does that mean, I am on your Ignore List?
Doubtful. He hasn't had much time here to add you.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Doubtful. He hasn't had much time here to add you.

That is the only explanation I currently have, since I replied to the question within a minute, and almost two days later the OP does not seem to have registered the answer s/he got.

And I do not understand the first link you provided, to that webkit. Does that mean, that the OP does need that (whatever it is, as far as I understand, WebKit is for rendering webpages). Does the OP need that for seeing replies or being able to download something?

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
And I do not understand the first link you provided, to that webkit. Does that mean, that the OP does need that (whatever it is, as far as I understand, WebKit is for rendering webpages). Does the OP need that for seeing replies or being able to download something?

That is a web browser based on Webkit. It takes the current version of Webkit, but it is compatible with 10.5. Most of the devs are PowerPC users, but it is a universal application.

Basically an up-to-date browser for 10.5

soloquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Does that mean, I am on your Ignore List?

Haha! Sorry simsaladimbamba. I did see that 1 minute response and was quite impressed as a first time poster here until I clicked on your "tiny url" link and it took me into what appeared to be a spam diversionary vortex that had nothing to do with my question. I thought you were a spam bot.:)

I am hoping for a native OSX solution verses a 3rd party app. I used to screen share via iChat. Now there is iChat, iMessage, facetime, iThis and iThat. For the moment, I must remain on 10.5.8 on my machine. Dad got the nice new one.

The webkit solution is too above my head right now. I need a native solution. Is it possible.

Thank you all, for your replies and help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Haha! Sorry simsaladimbamba. I did see that 1 minute response and was quite impressed as a first time poster here until I clicked on your "tiny url" link and it took me into what appeared to be a spam diversionary vortex that had nothing to do with my question. I thought you were a spam bot.:)

I am hoping for a native OSX solution verses a 3rd party app. I used to screen share via iChat. Now there is iChat, iMessage, facetime, iThis and iThat. For the moment, I must remain on 10.5.8 on my machine. Dad got the nice new one.

The webkit solution is too above my head right now. I need a native solution. Is it possible.

Thank you all, for your replies and help.

That is my signature.
The actual link to TeamViewer is in the second post.

soloquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Skype is looking like a possibility, but they want at least one user to be using the Premium version.

A big consideration here is that I am trying to screen share with my 78 year old dad who is a first time mac user, so this has to be as simple as possible so that I can get him set up... remotely if possible, and start teaching him how to become a mac genius via screen sharing.

Thanx!:)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Skype is looking like a possibility, but they want at least one user to be using the Premium version.

A big consideration here is that I am trying to screen share with my 78 year old dad who is a first time mac user, so this has to be as simple as possible so that I can get him set up... remotely if possible, and start teaching him how to become a mac genius via screen sharing.

Thanx!:)

I am confused a bit. Does that mean Team Viewer is not an option?
And how do you want to setup a remote control software via a remote control, if remote control software is needed to configure a remote control software.

Team Viewer is simple, you download it, install it via Drag & Drop (you could make him a screen recording via QuickTime X) and then you open it and then there are two numbers on the left, which your dad needs to give to you, again, this can be presented via a small screen recording or screenshots.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just bought my Dad a new iMac (Mountain Lion 10.8)
I am using MBP 17" Leopard 10.5.8
We are not in the same building or on a mutual network except for the internet.
I want to share (control) his screen so that I may help teach him how to use the Mac. He has never used one before.

I am familiar with screen sharing in ichat in 10.5, and I haven't used or seen Mountain Lion 10.8 until I set up his machine.

How can I screen share with him so that I can control his screen from my Mac. I hope this is possible between the two different OS versions.
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

soloquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I am confused a bit. Does that mean Team Viewer is not an option?

So far, it's at the top of the list... unless I find a native solution.

And how do you want to setup a remote control software via a remote control, if remote control software is needed to configure a remote control software.

Remote... via telephone. "Hello, Dad? Click on that iChat icon I showed you and it should connect with that apple ID I set up for you with your username and password". Old school remote! :)

As opposed to: Hello Dad? Click on that link in the email I just sent you and when the page opens, click on the download link. No... not that one, not that one either (I'm dealing with my dad here!) OK, now it just downloaded to your downloads folder. Click on the installer in your downloads folder. Where is it? In your user folder. Where is that? OK... Click on "Go" in the menu bar. Where is the menu bar? It's at the extreme top of your screen at all times.... Now go to...."

Get it?

My dad is an old dog that can learn new tricks. I'm trying to simplify this for both of us.
:)

soloquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Is there a native solution to screen share between 10.5.8 and 10.8? Is it even possible? If not, what is the current native solution to screen share?

I thought it was Messages, but not according to Wiki... they do not mention it in their article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMessage

Other Google research is telling me that screen sharing is "broken" since Lion.

Hmmm....:confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is there a native solution to screen share between 10.5.8 and 10.8? Is it even possible? If not, what is the current native solution to screen share?

I thought it was Messages, but not according to Wiki... they do not mention it in their article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMessage

Other Google research is telling me that screen sharing is "broken" since Lion.

Hmmm....:confused:

The built in screen sharing is only available if you and your dad are on the same LOCAL network.

Messages is not available for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Then there is Chrome Remote Desktop (Chrome needs to be installed on both Macs and the minimum requirement is Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard).

I made a little presentation for TeamViewer (those bastards should give me a free version of their application by now), and it should explain how to download, install and run it. You need to provide your dad with the TeamViewer link and the link to this YouTube video, if you think, he can handle that.

PS: I used TV with quite computer illiterate users before, and I got it running via using emails and some explanatory screenshots.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I made a little presentation for TeamViewer (those bastards should give me a free version of their application by now), and it should explain how to download, install and run it.
Great presentation! I'll have to learn how you do that someday!

OP: I'd like to also suggest a shorter path. Rather than have a less-than-computer-literate user go through all those steps, you could have your dad do this:

1. Click the Join Remote Control Session link that's under the Download button (or simply email them the link, so they don't even have to visit TeamViewer.com.)
    Step 1.PNG
  2. Click the Downloads folder on the Dock and click the TeamViewerQS.dmg file, or open the Downloads folder and double-click the file.
    Step 2.PNG
  3. Double-click the TeamViewer.app icon in the window that pops up.
    Step 3.PNG
  4. Read the ID and password to you over the phone.
    Step 4.PNG
  5. Then you could connect and take control to go through the process of downloading, installing and configuring the TeamViewer app.

simsaladimbamba, I just couldn't resist taking a screen shot while watching your video:
ScreenCap 2013-02-01 at Fri, Feb 1,9.26.09 PM .PNG
Poetic? Ironic? Karma? Or are you trying to tell me something? :D

Nov 28, 2010
located
Great presentation! I'll have to learn how you do that someday!
ScreenFlow, nothing more, nothing less, thus its not so fluid flow and the black frame. But thanks anyway (meant as an insult and all that ****)

OP: I'd like to also suggest a shorter path. Rather than have a less-than-computer-literate user go through all those steps, you could have your dad do this:
And thus you take back all the hard work I put into this. As I already insulted you, there is only one thing left.

Thanks, did not know that. And if you do not mind raunchy humour, take a look at Jimmy Carr. Not Allen Carr, Jimmy, with an i.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

That is a web browser for 10.5. I wasn't suggesting it as a response to a question. I just know that if you are running 10.5, you probably are using an out-of-date browser. Leopard Webkit is not out of date, so I recommended that to you just so you can have a more recent (safer) browser. I was sort of off topic in mentioning it, but it's something to try if security is a concern.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
That is my signature.
The actual link to TeamViewer is in the second post.

That's the second time I've seen someone do that with your signature! Only last time, it was with the search tutorials. "I clicked on your link and all I got was a search tutorial. I know how to search." :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's the second time I've seen someone do that with your signature! Only last time, it was with the search tutorials. "I clicked on your link and all I got was a search tutorial. I know how to search." :)

Yep, remember that too. Probably will just change it to something else again, I had a signature called "SPAM" some time ago, linking to my photo blog (now not even updated anymore), and even that got some people confused.

And as a funny aside, I do not know, if you know the movie "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain", but there is a small scene counting all the orgasms, that take place during that moment (thus the R-rating in some not so old country), which I made an avatar from (five or six couples, two, three images from them, nothing NSFW, no nudity and such), and guess what? Someone thought it was depicting violence towards women. But then again, I can see Homer McLane shooting people by the dozens when I am 13.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm not sure if it will work with newer versions, but it's worth a shot.

http://www.oldapps.com/mac/teamviewer.php

Cheers GGJstudios

But, the first one I downloaded I got this ↓↓↓↓↓
(They say PPC, it's not)

Edit 1: The last version on that page did work (3.6.XXXX)

Edit 2: Version 7.11 also works but when it connects to a computer with a newer version it does not work, strangely the other way around does work.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Yep, remember that too. Probably will just change it to something else again, I had a signature called "SPAM" some time ago, linking to my photo blog (now not even updated anymore), and even that got some people confused.

And as a funny aside, I do not know, if you know the movie "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain", but there is a small scene counting all the orgasms, that take place during that moment (thus the R-rating in some not so old country), which I made an avatar from (five or six couples, two, three images from them, nothing NSFW, no nudity and such), and guess what? Someone thought it was depicting violence towards women. But then again, I can see Homer McLane shooting people by the dozens when I am 13.

Never heard of that movie. I'm that way with most movies, though... By the way, I don't get the reference about Homer McLane shooting people by the dozens when you are 13. I tried to Google him, and just got all this ancestry.com stuff. And what about you being 13??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.