Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
That's entirely unsupported speculation. You don't even know that at the time 12 year olds were allowed to sign up, addressbooks were being uploaded. Path 1.0 and 2.0 are vastly different products.
Since nobody here knows how the size of that fine was determined, it is of course speculation.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Moral of the Story, CYA, and if you're going to do something as stupid as uploading their entire address book then at least encrypt the data being transmitted.

rariasjr

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2003
How do I disable their text notifications?

I get a text message from them every month asking to join. Really annoying. I can't figure out how to disable it. Any help from the MR Community?
They got what they diserve as far as I'm concerned.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I develop software for a living too. This is a bit unrelated but If I had an employee tell me something like that, I'd fire them on the spot. It's not your job to play lawyer, as you said "it would be _him_ losing his job over this, not me."
I wasn't raised in the USA. Maybe that makes a difference. Where I come from, you don't keep your mouth shut when you see unethical or illegal behaviour.

Why are you so convinced this was done with malicious intent?

You sound like Nancy Grace spouting off on something with no facts or knowledge of the situation. :rolleyes:

I don't know who Nancy Grace is, but with professional developers this kind of thing doesn't happen by accident. So there was intent.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Independent privacy assessments for 20 years and an $800k fine. Good thing we have the Government to protect us from ourselves!
:confused: Are you implying that the users who had their contacts uploaded and/or the kids younger than 13 who signed up are to blame?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Correction

“This settlement with Path shows that no matter what new technologies emerge, the agency will continue to sue for profit anyone caught violating the privacy of Americans."

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz. "This settlement with Path shows that no matter what new technologies emerge, the agency will continue to safeguard the privacy of Americans."

Riiiiiight...

Data mining by huge companies like Google, Apple, Facebook and others excepted of course.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It sounds like these scumbags got what they deserved. 20 years of supervision? Youch!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Interesting that the companies response does not say anything about the misuse of user data, but only that a computer issue let underage users sign up. Apparently, they still don't get it. Maybe a larger fine or a class action lawsuit is in order to make them see the error of their ways.

Yes I noticed that when I read their blog post.Very strange.If that's all they have to say after getting caught red handed I think I'll stay away.

Edit:As others have noted crappy mac rumors reporting misled on the facts of the case.Doesn't change my attitude over the data theft though...

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's entirely unsupported speculation. You don't even know that at the time 12 year olds were allowed to sign up, addressbooks were being uploaded. Path 1.0 and 2.0 are vastly different products.

It's a shame that it was so misreported. Thank you for clarifying.

$800k seems like they're sending a message for sure. What message, I'm not sure.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I wasn't raised in the USA. Maybe that makes a difference. Where I come from, you don't keep your mouth shut when you see unethical or illegal behaviour.

I don't know who Nancy Grace is, but with professional developers this kind of thing doesn't happen by accident. So there was intent.

Maybe the kiddie scripts you develop work like that but in the real world where people build enterprise software there are departments for things.

If I have a process, I built it as needed, assuming the necessary legal documentation has been done. If I sat and questioned each and every requirement, nothing would get done.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Maybe the kiddie scripts you develop work like that but in the real world where people build enterprise software there are departments for things.

If I have a process, I built it as needed, assuming the necessary legal documentation has been done. If I sat and questioned each and every requirement, nothing would get done.

Leaving your insults aside: I don't query each and every requirement; but I would certainly query any requirement that is unethical and illegal. So where you work, that would mean nothing gets done?

Never mind. They were ordered to pay an $800,000 fine. If you had been the developer asked to implement this, the result would have been the same. If I had been the developer responsible, there wouldn't have been a fine, there wouldn't have been 20 years supervision, there wouldn't have been major embarressment, loss of customers, and complete destruction of the business relationship with Apple. The fine alone would have paid many years of my salary.

Last edited:

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
No, you are not missing anything. The legal system is not about "justice" or setting things right. It is often a way for the state to enrich itself at the expense of others.

Have you heard of the phrase "Don't steal, the government hates competition"?

Governments view the mafia as their competition in areas such as extortion, racketeering and outright theft. When the government does it, it is legal.

Yawn

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
The whole company should be thrown in jail for 20 years. What they did was worse than murder.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Independent privacy assessments for 20 years and an $800k fine. Good thing we have the Government to protect us from ourselves!

Read this, read the signature, looked at the avatar... Either it's Alex Jones or one of his followers. :rolleyes:

----------

The whole company should be thrown in jail for 20 years. What they did was worse than murder.

First of all, if what they did was worse than murder, they should be killed. But how is this worse than murder?

----------

"Early last year, the popular iOS app Path came under fire for uploading users' entire address books to company servers without alerting users or asking for authorization."

Once I read that, woah. I'm not so worried about my privacy but about all the people in my address book whose email addresses would probably be given out if I downloaded this retarded app.

But why am I the first to ask HOW Apple didn't notice this in the app review? Someone wasn't doing his job right.

----------

FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz. "This settlement with Path shows that no matter what new technologies emerge, the agency will continue to safeguard the privacy of Americans."

Riiiiiight...

Data mining by huge companies like Google, Apple, Facebook and others excepted of course.

Google, Apple, and Facebook actually tell the users that what data they are taking, and it's anonymous. I've already gotten into this dumb argument with someone else, so I'll just end it before it starts: Your ISP knows every URL you've ever visited, every IP address you've ever connected to. Forget about Google.

----------

800K in my opinion is too much. It’d probably kill the company, which would be bad for everyone.

I think it's a service to everyone to kill dirtbag companies like these. They're everywhere. According to a user above, Path also spams their users. It's like Babylon Search, the company whose products are classified as malware by some. Search "Babylon Search", and you'll only get instructions on how to delete it and a Wikipedia article. Also Bonzi Buddy. Path is spyware like Bonzi Buddy.

----------

:confused: Are you implying that the users who had their contacts uploaded and/or the kids younger than 13 who signed up are to blame?

Who knows. He's a conspiracy theorist. For all you know, he might think Coca Cola and Pepsi are the same company.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
They've been made an example of...

They needed the address book data to work out who to connect you with.
Apple never had an API that asked for access to that data and as far I remember, tons of developers were doing the same thing Path were doing.

Its just that Path got caught, maybe because they were slightly more famous than everyone else at that time.

I dont think they were being malicious at all but I think the potential to be was too great. Any company that accesses your data, be it google, path or FB has to have even higher standards of security and transparency than normal. It's the nature of the business.

And if any of those firms thinks its ok to disregard this they must understand that it only takes 1 really bad incident in any industry to turn everyone off the whole thing. Just like airlines or car companies, social data companies need to be self policing to keep that business alive.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
I develop software for a living too. This is a bit unrelated but If I had an employee tell me something like that, I'd fire them on the spot. It's not your job to play lawyer, as you said "it would be _him_ losing his job over this, not me."

You're actually saying you would fire an employee for pointing out that you're asking them to violate a Federal law?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
oppsy..... nori..

Doesn't take long for companies to realise what they are doing when it comes back to them later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.