Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Java 7 Update 13 is still buggy as like the previous Java 7 versions. Java 7's print applet does not print properly. Its too bad that Apple blocked Java 6 on Mountain Lion. I have to bootcamp to Windows 7 to use the less buggy version of Java 7.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I spent all morning fixing this and right when I fixed it apple releases an update :mad:

A LITTLE NOTICE NEXT TIME WOULD BE NICE :mad:

This wasn't Apple releasing the update...

----------

Also, you can make sure it's not enabled, whether you have it or not, by going into Safari Preference > Security, and make sure "Enable Java" is Unchecked.

You are talking about two different things. Safari's setting only controls the Java Plug-In, not the entire Java Runtime Engine. But then again, only the Plug-In is exposed to the exploits in the wild, so turning that off has the same effect.

fahlman

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Preference Pane

When will we get a proper Preference Pane? It's little things like this that tells me they are doing as little as possible to support Java on Mac OS X.

jkoerber

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Friggin great, now what do I do?

Well, once again us poor 10.6.8 users are left out in the cold again. Just downloaded the JREu13 update installed and got this fabulous response. And now I cannot generate security keys in OSX for our clients since our provider uses Java Applets...

And don't even start asking me "why haven't you upgraded to Lion, blah blah blah..." I'm stuck in 10.6.8 for the foreseeable future for software compatibility issues.

Attachments

• JavaRE7u13.jpg
    JavaRE7u13.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 61

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
When will we get a proper Preference Pane? It's little things like this that tells me they are doing as little as possible to support Java on Mac OS X.

Proper preference pane is a very minor complaint.

Oracle have just spend many months getting Java 7 out the door for OSX, and have got updates out at the same time as other platforms.

OTH, Apple dragged their feet.

jonatron

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Leeds, UK
Can someone please point me in the direction of the relevant part of the Apple website which gives me information regarding this situation?

Apple must surely have released some info or guidance? Is it just well hidden or are they being silent?

Why the guessing game?

joyss

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2008
It a'int working .......

... on Safari or Firefox. Looks like Apple struck again! (ø_ø)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
... on Safari or Firefox. Looks like Apple struck again! (ø_ø)
Or the web plug-in functionality is simply disabled in the preferences of those browsers and can be enabled as needed by the user.

wacko42

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Oracle has also released an updated version of Java 6, although Apple was not blocking the previous version of the plug-in.

Apple very much did block the Java 6 plugin and the update for 6 from Oracle, like all 6 updates from them, is for everything except OS X. The current version is 1.6.0_37-b06-434 and XProtect is requiring 1.6.0_37-b06-435.

Until Apple releases an update, which they are supposedly working on, anyone needing Java 6 or on Snow Leopard is still stuck.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple very much did block the Java 6 plugin and the update for 6 from Oracle, like all 6 updates from them, is for everything except OS X. The current version is 1.6.0_37-b06-434 and XProtect is requiring 1.6.0_37-b06-435.

Until Apple releases an update, which they are supposedly working on, anyone needing Java 6 or on Snow Leopard is still stuck.
It's not so much that Apple blocked a Java 6 update, it's more that Oracle doesn't put out Java 6 for Apple--Apple themselves updates Java 6 based on Oracle updates. Apple mentioned they were going to stop doing that actually in favor of users moving over to Apple 7 (and to versions of OS X that support it), which would be, and is, maintained by Oracle directly.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
"Oracle has also released an updated version of Java 6, although Apple was not blocking the previous version of the plug-in."

Actually, Apple did block Java 6 on Snow Leopard with their Thursday blocklist.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Well, once again us poor 10.6.8 users are left out in the cold again.
I have no problem with Java apps on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

And don't even start asking me "why haven't you upgraded to Lion, blah blah blah..." I'm stuck in 10.6.8 for the foreseeable future for software compatibility issues.
Then install Lion or Mountain Lion in a virtual machine (VM), if you need a special version of Java, or use Windows in a VM. Virtual Box, Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion support the virtualization of Lion & Mountain Lion. I used Mountain Lion developer preview in Virtual Box, and Lion and Mountain Lion in VMware Fusion.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
which is the correct one to download. My company's timecard thing i guess it cause when I log on, it doesn't load... more craziness that I don't need

edit - never mind, it finally came up for me in software update :confused:

Well, once again us poor 10.6.8 users are left out in the cold again. Just downloaded the JREu13 update installed and got this fabulous response. And now I cannot generate security keys in OSX for our clients since our provider uses Java Applets...

it came up in software update for me....

Last edited:

fahlman

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Java for Mac OS X v10.6 Update 12

Removed the bad link. Go instead to http://support.apple.com/downloads/ and manually find Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12. Currently it is the first download available. Do not click the link for the support article. It will take you to the old Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 11. You have to click the Download button to receive Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12. Or check Software Update.

----------

[/COLOR]
Can someone please point me in the direction of the relevant part of the Apple website which gives me information regarding this situation?

Apple must surely have released some info or guidance? Is it just well hidden or are they being silent?

Why the guessing game?

Apple doesn't maintain Java 1.7.x. You would be better served looking here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/javacpufeb2013-1841061.html

----------

It's scary just how unsecure Macs really are.

My Mac is not insecure.

Java and Flash are insecure. Don't install Java and don't install Flash and you'll be well on your way to having a secure Mac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.