Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I currently have a Netgear WNDR4500, which is a really good, dual band router that I dropped $149 on. I previously had a MBP only. I was using an external USB hard drive for Time Machine backups.

I now have both a MBP and a new 27 inch iMac.

Despite claims that the Netgear support Time Machine, I've never been able to get it to work and Netgear is useless for support and their documentation is worse than terrible. I am considering ditching the Netgear and just getting a Time Capsule now that I have both a MBP and iMac.

I have a very basic knowledge when it comes to routers. Can anyone provide insight as to the technical aspects of changing from the Netgear to a Time Capsule regarding performance and range. Would I be making a mistake going to the Time Capsule from the Netgear just to simplify my backups? The expense of the Time Capsule is not really an issue as I have several gift cards.

We stream quite a bit. I have 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, an iPod, MPB, iMac and VOD through Directv all accessing the internet at various times on a 30Meg down service.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
If you feel like it's worth the money, go for it. You can definitely get an equivalent router (or better now that 802.11ac routers are starting to appear) and a nice 2-3TB external drive for less than the TC, but the TC has the obvious advantage of wireless backups.

I will be purchasing a TC soon solely for the wireless storage and TM backups in the near future. Only problem I'm having is I'm not sure whether I want to just go ahead and get one now or wait until Apple releases its 802.11ac routers, which I feel is going to be soon.

Anyway, I say go for it - especially since you have gift cards.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I purchased one with my iMac and I would recommend it. For ease of use (and a nice clean set up) its great. I have a 3 bedroom detached house and its upstairs in the study next to my iMac. I can watch TV on my ATV downstairs with no buffering. Both iPads are much quicker. I did have a few issues with my Xbox and laptops, but got it sorted after talking to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.