Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I've research and watched many videos about upgrading a white MacBook hard disk, but I'm still unsure about some specs. Most users just show off their boot times but don't say anything about their SSD choice.

I know it uses SATA II at most, and it's a 2.5' hard disk.
Any other consideration I should look for?

On the other hand, can I have two hard disk in this 1st Gen MacBook?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since S-ATA is backwards compatible, you can use any current or past 2.5" SS with a maximum height of 9.5 mm (though none are actually higher).

The Core Duo 2006 MacBook has an S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interface, but you can use S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) and S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSDs, thus you can easily take the SSD with you once you upgrade to a newer Mac, if that Mac allows you to use 2.5" disks.

Nothing else is important.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Which ones? I have a 2009 MBP with an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD, though running at S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) speed.

The Power Mac G5s are picky about what drive they will take. Some STA III drives will not work at all, some won't boot, and some will only function in bay 2.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
I've heard some bad stories about the SSDs with SandForce controller in Macs, somehow conflicting with the power management or something like that. I'd stay away from those. Samsung seems to make the best SSDs for Macs at the moment. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can add to this.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I've heard some bad stories about the SSDs with SandForce controller in Macs, somehow conflicting with the power management or something like that.

I don't know what you are referring to, but this is an important consideration:
If you buy a Sandforce drive for a Mac, do NOT use TRIM Enabler on it. If you run TRIM Enabler on a Mac with a Sandforce drive (or an OWC drive, I'm assuming it is this way with all drives), you will run into problems.

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I've heard some bad stories about the SSDs with SandForce controller in Macs, somehow conflicting with the power management or something like that. I'd stay away from those. Samsung seems to make the best SSDs for Macs at the moment. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can add to this.

If you purchase an OWC/Intel SSD, though you don’t need TRIM! Smart tech!! The SF controller in the Intel SSDs takes care of this “garbage collection” as well as performs various other tasks that keep your drive running at optimal speed, without the drop-off that you see with other brands. This really has helped me perform IOPS are blazing speeds.I would rather say, if you purchase any other SSD, then you will need to purchase a TRIM enabler or use native TRIM functionality & the performance is not guaranteed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.