Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
Just what the title says is happening. The WiFi in my house used to be WEP, but was changed to WPA2 to work with an XBOX wireless bridge. My laptop was made before the redesign, so there should be no solder problems with the Airport Extreme, and the connection was working perfectly before the security was changed. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to set the connection to WPA to fix it, but don't know if that will work.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
What OS are you running? I faced similar problem and atleast in that case Tiger had problems while with Leopard it was OK.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
I'm sorry for this bump, but it's STILL not working! First, I upgraded to Leopard. Connection still drops regularly. Next, I thought that the connection wasn't strong, so I got one of those Wi-Fi extenders. Nothing. My laptop was made before the motherboard redesigns, so there shouldn't be any issues there, and I don't think it's the case heat, as just connecting to another network (temporarily) fixes the problem. Can anyone tell me what's up?

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
What model iBook do you have?

I have model A1054. Low End Mac says that my model number is M9623LL/A. CoconutIdentifyCard says that my laptop was built between May 30th 2005 and June 5th, 2005, so right before the July 2005 redesign with the fast hard drive, Mac OS X tiger pre-installed, Bluetooth, and two finger scrolling. I'm kinda jealous that my mac comes so close, now. I'm sorry if this is too much, but that's better than too little in my opinion.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It sounds like you have model A1055. This model, like all G4 iBooks, has an ATA/100 hard drive bus. You iBook also has Bluetooth 1.1.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
It sounds like you have model A1055. This model, like all G4 iBooks, has an ATA/100 hard drive bus. You iBook also has Bluetooth 1.1.
I don't mean to argue, and want this problem to be solved, but my iBook is 1.2 GHz and has a 30 GB hard drive. Plus, the bottom of my machine says model A1054.

Babykins

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Try setting up and connecting to your guest network. My G3 wouldn't connect to my regular network but did to our guest network. We have it password protected so it is secure. Hope this helps:)

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
Try setting up and connecting to your guest network. My G3 wouldn't connect to my regular network but did to our guest network. We have it password protected so it is secure. Hope this helps:)
We have no guest network. Why would you need one anyway? My family's wifi used to be unprotected, but we kept getting notices from our ISP. Piracy notices, that is. I have a wifi extender box in my room, however. Are there any known problems with WPA2 and Leopard with an Airport Extreme, or is it heat related? The connection worked perfectly on WEP.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I'm running Tiger. Leopard just runs way too slowly on anything lower than a G5 or something.
Depends on your specs, though a G4 laptop can't really have a nice GPU upgrade to bump performance.

I put Leo on a 1 GHz TiBook last night. It ran fine, I would try that and see if the issue is resolved.
K.

I'm sorry for this bump, but it's STILL not working! First, I upgraded to Leopard. Connection still drops regularly. Next, I thought that the connection wasn't strong, so I got one of those Wi-Fi extenders. Nothing. My laptop was made before the motherboard redesigns, so there shouldn't be any issues there, and I don't think it's the case heat, as just connecting to another network (temporarily) fixes the problem. Can anyone tell me what's up?
Maybe try a USB wireless card. Like a Ralink 5370 chipset model for $5 on ebay, theres another, much smaller, nublet sized, 802.11n chip called the 8088cus something you can get. My Macbook 4,1 with no Airport antenna uses one to epic effect.

Sorry for double post, but I just zapped the PRAM with no better results than before. Does anyone have any help?
Nah PRAM zapping has only helped with my faulty built-in Macbook iSight problem.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
Just got it working again! I simply deleted the connection from Settings and the Keychain, fixed permissions, and it worked! Got it from an Apple forum somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.