Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bellcross

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
I think I will still pick this case up, as it looks great other than the oil slick you can see there. But you never know, they may have that changed before their released. And if I get it and it isn't any good, itll go right back, lol. Might as well give it a shot though.

Me too. I'll definitely pick this up. If the watermarks still exist by the time they release it, i can work my way around it.
At least for me it is better to have watermarks than to have pillowing effects like my lifeproof case..

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I'll be getting this case as soon as it's available. Per ordered the Taktik Extreme today and also waiting on the Otter Armor. Anything has to be better then the Lifeproof Fre...

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
:eek:

I was holding off on ordering the Obex but might have to get one. Please do an unboxing video or something so we can get a good look at it.

Let us know how the sound and speaker phone works. I'm ready to throw my Lifeproof Fre in the garbage. :)

and any pillowing, rainbow/oil print on screen, speaker for music, and definitely waterproofing!!

Releck97

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
I'm debating on preordering too. Considering if you use a credit card you usually have fraud protection, return protection, etc. so your credit card company will back you up.
Yep, too good to be true...however, I'm confused about the release date. Incipio says Feb. 10, Mobile City says April???
"Thank you for your recent pre order. This email is to inform you that the Incipio ATLAS Waterproof Case for New iPhone 5 will not be released in the $49.99 version and all pre orders will be cancelled, you have not been charged for this order.

The manufacturer has decided to redesign the case and upgrade the warranty. This warranty will now include a 12-month device warranty for water damage with every purchase of the ATLAS Waterproof Case!

The new designed/warranted case will be offered at $79.99 through mobilecityonline.com but we would like to offer our customers who have already pre ordered this item at the lower price a discount of 20% plus free shipping within the continental US if you should choose to place an order for the new design.

These cases are expected to be in stock and ready to ship by the end of April 2013."

Now, should I buy the Seidio Obex?

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Yep, too good to be true...however, I'm confused about the release date. Incipio says Feb. 10, Mobile City says April???
"Thank you for your recent pre order. This email is to inform you that the Incipio ATLAS Waterproof Case for New iPhone 5 will not be released in the $49.99 version and all pre orders will be cancelled, you have not been charged for this order.

The manufacturer has decided to redesign the case and upgrade the warranty. This warranty will now include a 12-month device warranty for water damage with every purchase of the ATLAS Waterproof Case!

The new designed/warranted case will be offered at $79.99 through mobilecityonline.com but we would like to offer our customers who have already pre ordered this item at the lower price a discount of 20% plus free shipping within the continental US if you should choose to place an order for the new design.

These cases are expected to be in stock and ready to ship by the end of April 2013."

You won't be disappointed with the Obex. Way better then the Fre and you'll have something until the Atlas release.

vajeff

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
I agree with this 100% :)

Another 100% agreement too. I loved my LP for the 4S, but the Fre never was right. The Obex has been pretty much perfect.

Still intrigued by the Atlas too... Can't wait to hear more about it. I know me, and I will probably end up with an Atlas to compare to the Obex... eBay the one I decide not to keep...

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Can't wait for this case to come out, coming from a Hardcore LifeProof fan and diehard faithful, you can't beat the warranty Incipio offers and the glass screen. Hopefully this one will be epic.
This will be the only other all proof case I will purchase from another company .

Don't like the bulkiness of the otterbox and the Obex is getting some bad reviews. The griffin/catalyst case doesn't interest me except for the clear look and possible glow in the dark feature if they release one like their 1st case, but they had to merge with Griffin cause they couldn't hack it with the bigboys.

Love the color combo of this case, I will definately be purchasing an Atlas.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359656129.938538.jpg

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012

Where does Incipio say Feb 10th ?

Releck97

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
CES. It was actually February 11, my bad. With some of the questionable reviews of the Obex, I may just wait and see if Incipio releases the Atlas in a couple of weeks. I've had my Defender on the phone since the beginning of November, what's a couple of weeks at this point? I got a first gen. LP and returned that pronto...ugh!

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Anyone know size wise how the atlas compares to the griffin catalyst? I'm having a hard time finding specs for both.

----------

Can't wait for this case to come out, coming from a Hardcore LifeProof fan and diehard faithful, you can't beat the warranty Incipio offers and the glass screen. Hopefully this one will be epic.
This will be the only other all proof case I will purchase from another company .

Don't like the bulkiness of the otterbox and the Obex is getting some bad reviews. The griffin/catalyst case doesn't interest me except for the clear look and possible glow in the dark feature if they release one like their 1st case, but they had to merge with Griffin cause they couldn't hack it with the bigboys.

Love the color combo of this case, I will definately be purchasing an Atlas.
View attachment 393792

What site is that that shows the info about the atlas?

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Anyone know size wise how the atlas compares to the griffin catalyst? I'm having a hard time finding specs for both.

----------

What site is that that shows the info about the atlas?

Mobilecityonline.com, they're a 3rd party reseller so I don't know how reliable they are.

kywildcats

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I'm not sure how credible this is but it says the expected release date is 2/4. Obviously the case wasn't released today but maybe soon????

http://www.theaccessoryking.com/incipio-accessories/cases-pouches/iph-865/iphone-5-atlas-case-wwaterproof-protection-black.html

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
its going to be the slimmest of all the water proof i5 phone cases

Product Dimensions: 0.4 x 2.4 x 4.9 inches ; 1.6 ounces

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-IPH-864-ATLAS-Waterproof-iPhone/dp/B009ABLHKC

Dunno if those are real specs of the case cause the phone itself has similar specs. iPhone 5 specs directly from Apple:

Height: 4.87 inches (123.8 mm)
Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth: 0.30 inch (7.6 mm)
Weight: 3.95 ounces (112 grams)

The case would be like using Saran Wrap.

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Dunno if those are real specs of the case cause the phone itself has similar specs. iPhone 5 specs directly from Apple:

Height: 4.87 inches (123.8 mm)
Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth: 0.30 inch (7.6 mm)
Weight: 3.95 ounces (112 grams)

The case would be like using Saran Wrap.

You got that right. The obex, lifeproof, and griffin + catalyst are all within milimeters of each other

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.