Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxfan320

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Is it still not possible to use a Sprint iPhone on AT&T assuming that you can unlock the device? I know that I've read a while ago that it wasn't but I am just checking again.

Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If the device is unlocked (essentially its GSM side) then it would be possible to run it on essentially any GSM network that the phone supports (you won't get LTE though on those networks as the bands/frequencies they use won't be supported by the phone).

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Well I understand that, but does that mean the sim card slot on Sprint and Verizon iPhone for that matter are dead?

If you you talking about the iPhone 5:

Verizon's SIM card slot is unlocked for use on any GSM network. It will only get HSPA+ on AT&T. It has different LTE bands than AT&T.

Sprint's SIM card slot is locked. Sprint will unlock it, but it will only work on GSM networks outside of the US. So, it won't work on AT&T.

redsoxfan320

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
If you you talking about the iPhone 5:

Verizon's SIM card slot is unlocked for use on any GSM network. It will only get HSPA+ on AT&T. It has different LTE bands than AT&T.

Sprint's SIM card slot is locked. Sprint will unlock it, but it will only work on GSM networks outside of the US. So, it won't work on AT&T.

So an iPhone 5 from Verizon will work on ATT just no LTE. What about an iPhone 4S?

Thanks

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
So an iPhone 5 from Verizon will work on ATT just no LTE. What about an iPhone 4S?

Thanks

I am not 100% sure about the 4S. I think it is similar to the Sprint iPhone 5, in that Verizon can unlock it, but it can only be used on GSM networks outside of the US.

If you need an AT&T phone, buy an AT&T phone. Not sure why anyone would buy a Verizon phone for AT&T unless you are from a European country and only plan to be in the US for a short time and want the iPhone 5 for LTE coverage in Europe.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If the device is unlocked (essentially its GSM side) then it would be possible to run it on essentially any GSM network that the phone supports (you won't get LTE though on those networks as the bands/frequencies they use won't be supported by the phone).

Yes, but VZW and Sprint are CDMA, so doesn't help OP. T-Mob is the only other GSM provider in the US, but it's 3G data is not compatible w/ ATT, only voice. You can still get 2G on an unlocked ATT iPhone w/ Tmob, but 2G! Yikes.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Thanks

The iPhone 4S is a different matter. At the time the 4S came out, Verizon wasn't actively trying to play nice with the government on net neutrality rules and spectrum issues. So they will only unlock the 4S for GSM carriers outside of the US.

Short answer: No, the 4S won't work on AT&T because Verizon treats the two phones differently.

----------

Yes, but VZW and Sprint are CDMA,

In this case that doesn't matter. While those networks are CDMA, the iPhone 5 that Sprint/Verizon are selling can technically operate on both GSM and CDMA 3G networks. Sprint locks theirs for GSM, Verizon doesn't.

If you don't believe me, see for yourself:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-confirmed-to-be-unlocked-on-gsm-3g-networks/

T-Mob is the only other GSM provider in the US, but it's 3G data is not compatible w/ ATT, only voice.

I don't mean to sound rude, but in this case, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about here.

T-Mobile's network is a GSM/HSPA+ network, just like AT&T. If you put an AT&T iPhone on a T-Mobile network, voice will work fine. Data will also work, but in some areas the 3G network operates on different frequencies than the iPhone is equipped to listen for. They're working to change that, though, and over about 95% of their network, T-Mobile 3G is already working fine on iPhones.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mo...MHz-spectrum-carrier-delayed-by-Sandy_id36196

Other than the spectrum issue, which T-Mobile is working to mitigate, the 3G technology they and AT&T use are exactly the same.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.