Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My biggest issue with the battery is its decrease without using it! I've slept 2h right now and it decreased from 80% to 70%!

I've already restored as new, don't know what can I possibly do...

If I put my iPad 2/3 in airplane mode I don't have that issue. And this doesn't apply to my iPad's. It also applies to my other android devices as well.

I'm running iOS 6.1 and before that 6.01 and my iPad 2 gave me over 5 days in standby and run time was close to 36 hours. Not too shabby.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
How many bars do you have? That can affect the battery drainage. And iCloud backup can also affect it

Full bars with LTE off. Where can I change the iCloud backup? And how?

----------

If I put my iPad 2/3 in airplane mode I don't have that issue. And this doesn't apply to my iPad's. It also applies to my other android devices as well.

I'm running iOS 6.1 and before that 6.01 and my iPad 2 gave me over 5 days in standby and run time was close to 36 hours. Not too shabby.

Well it doesn't seem to be a problem on my iPad 3 because i'm getting 22h use and 2 day stand by... But thanks for the tip :)

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
just a random question here, I saw a few post up talking about disabling LTE when going to an interior part of a building. I live in an area with no LTE service, should I just keep LTE turned off? Would it help in any way with the battery life?

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Full bars with LTE off. Where can I change the iCloud backup? And how?

----------

Well it doesn't seem to be a problem on my iPad 3 because i'm getting 22h use and 2 day stand by... But thanks for the tip :)

AFAIK, icloud backup doesn't happen unless you are connected to power or execute it manually.

what services/apps do you have running? what are being sync'd to iCloud? i had read for some people Notes for some reason constituted a perpetual drain.

Photostream?
are you doing fetch/push mail?
Dropbox?
Evernote?
News apps like NYTimes that automatically download data? (i just realized that may be something going on that explains part of my 15minutes of usage overnight, last night)

10% is a lot over 2 hours (obviously) so i feel your pain. you very well may have a hardware issue.

for me, in airplane mode overnight, i get very little drain, so i know it is likely software and not hardware. hence, i'm trying a bunch of things to see what is going on in terms of consumption when idle overnight.

another thing to try is turn off wifi overnight. that might keep certain things from accessing the net if they are set to only work over wifi.

----------

just a random question here, I saw a few post up talking about disabling LTE when going to an interior part of a building. I live in an area with no LTE service, should I just keep LTE turned off? Would it help in any way with the battery life?

maybe...

i don't know if the phone is always "looking out" for LTE when it's not available. i would say there is no harm in turning it off, and i could only help.

but someone more qualified might have a better insight into this.

----------

wow! 36 hours! i get about 18 hrs regularly on my ipad 2, and i thought was doing well.

but yeah, the ipad battery life is amazing.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
AFAIK, icloud backup doesn't happen unless you are connected to power or execute it manually.

what services/apps do you have running? what are being sync'd to iCloud? i had read for some people Notes for some reason constituted a perpetual drain.

Photostream?
are you doing fetch/push mail?
Dropbox?
Evernote?
News apps like NYTimes that automatically download data? (i just realized that may be something going on that explains part of my 15minutes of usage overnight, last night)

10% is a lot over 2 hours (obviously) so i feel your pain. you very well may have a hardware issue.

for me, in airplane mode overnight, i get very little drain, so i know it is likely software and not hardware. hence, i'm trying a bunch of things to see what is going on in terms of consumption when idle overnight.

another thing to try is turn off wifi overnight. that might keep certain things from accessing the net if they are set to only work over wifi.

So the problem isn't iCloud backing up. I have nothing much left, actually. Since I restored as new I kept it with minimum. I do have photostream because a friend of mine is sending his travel pictures. I'm using the default email with gmail configured as exchange. Don't have either Dropbox or Evernote, I've erased Dropbox and box since the restore. The only app that may use constant Internet is what's app and viber...

I'll try the wifi thing, but I use some iMessage so I must stay online.

The iPhone was bought on dec 21 but I had 0 issues with iOS 6.0.1

Thanks for your help.

AJ007

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
Syracuse, NY
Fix

Mine also sat over night. unplugged at 10:30 pm 100%, 6am 8 hours later no usage 45%. and warm to the touch in a 65 degree house. and the usage was 8hours use/ 8 hours since last charge, LTE turned off, wifi on, 6.1 iPhone 5. doing a restore now, but I have no faith in this pile.

I have just reset my iphone5 to factory defaults and restored from a cloud back up from yesterday. turned brightness to 75, BT on, LTE on. plugg'd in to 100% while it was restoring over wifi. then I unplugged it at 100% rebooted. turned LTE on and downloaded about 50 songs, used it as normal and i'm at 74% with 1h56min used/ 5h58m since last charge. so i'd stay that's back to normal. or as normal as i'm going to get.:)

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    106.9 KB · Views: 111

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
So the problem isn't iCloud backing up. I have nothing much left, actually. Since I restored as new I kept it with minimum. I do have photostream because a friend of mine is sending his travel pictures. I'm using the default email with gmail configured as exchange. Don't have either Dropbox or Evernote, I've erased Dropbox and box since the restore. The only app that may use constant Internet is what's app and viber...

I'll try the wifi thing, but I use some iMessage so I must stay online.

The iPhone was bought on dec 21 but I had 0 issues with iOS 6.0.1

Thanks for your help.

imessage: it should still work for you with LTE/3G even if wifi is off, although it will eat into your allocation if you receive a few messages overnight.

for me,
6.0/6.0.1: saw some drop in performance compared to my iphone 4 which was running 5.1.? previously.
6.0.2: a disaster for me...i saw elevated battery consumption both "in use" and when idle/overnight. (was only getting about 4 hours of usage over a 1.5 days of standby)
6.1 brings me closer to 6.0 and 6.0.1, but i want to figure out what is "leaking battery" for me...

anyway, there are so many variables here, but good to see what others are up to, and there may be some commonality.

good luck!

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Downloaded 6.1 on my i5 yesterday. I never had battery issues. But after the update, my battery dropped dramatically in the hours after the update. It dropped so bad that I was at 1% around 9pm when I would normally be around 45-50%. Plus the phone seemed warmer than it usually is. My usage pattern was not at all different from my usual usage pattern. I'll watch it today but there's either something going on with 6.1 or a very big coincidence. Anybody else notice this?

I am seeing the same thing
Upgraded iPhone 5 via OTA from 6.0.2 to 6.1
Battery is draining very fast, like a percent every couple minutes.
This is an iPhone 5 AT&T
iPhone feels warmer
Disabling cellular data stops battery drain and cools down iphone. I never had to do that before. I always left cellular data on with LTE enabled because I have a unlimited plan. In fact I keep wifi disabled.

DrFillster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
4S definitiely an issue

I took this screenshot after charging for 15 minutes.
It's been in standby mode only.
Did OTA upgrade to 6.1
Doing backup and restore now.

Attachments

• IMG_1220[1].PNG
    IMG_1220[1].PNG
    106 KB · Views: 112

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
My battery life was terrible the first time after installing iOS 6.1 . However on subsequent days its been fantastic . Today I have used the phone for 9 hours with push mail, browsing on wifi , an hour pf bluetooth whike travelling , location services on, listening to music and watched a movie for half hour . After 9 hours its at 64 % which is fantastic . I will push this for as long as it goes and see how many hours I can extract . I did not switch on 3G though and intend to do that as a trial next time around .

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Yeah, they did it again. Each new version, the battery life is ruined. With 6.1 my iPhone runs to zero battery within 6 hours. I think this is the 4 times in concurence that they manage to pull this off. Why, why, why ??????????
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

BTW: This is the only change I have experienced with 6.1: Definitely not happy!

:mad:

----------

My battery life was terrible the first time after installing iOS 6.1 . However on subsequent days its been fantastic . Today I have used the phone for 9 hours with push mail, browsing on wifi , an hour pf bluetooth whike travelling , location services on, listening to music and watched a movie for half hour . After 9 hours its at 64 % which is fantastic . I will push this for as long as it goes and see how many hours I can extract . I did not switch on 3G though and intend to do that as a trial next time around .

What did you do to fix it?

SisterRay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
UK
I have a 3GS iPhone. Prior to 6.1 (6.0.x) if I didn't use it, the battery would drop 3% over about 12 hrs. After upgrading to 6.1 in 4 hrs of no use, the battery had dropped from 100% to 33%.

Does any now know what is causing it, so I can make an attempt to fix or mitigate it

Thanks in advance

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I just sent my iPhone in for repair i only got around 5 hours usage 10 hours battery i had to bring my charger with to work otherwise it will drain, and it became worse after 6.1 :(

PedroDias

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
I had 4 hours usage at 50%, then i played temple run 2 for abou 90 min and battery droped to 20%. After that i had light usage surfing the web, some whatsapp and twitter.
Edit: i have facebook, whatsapp and twitter on push notifications, icloud all but passbook are on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Yeah, they did it again. Each new version, the battery life is ruined. With 6.1 my iPhone runs to zero battery within 6 hours. I think this is the 4 times in concurence that they manage to pull this off. Why, why, why ??????????
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

BTW: This is the only change I have experienced with 6.1: Definitely not happy!

:mad:

----------

What did you do to fix it?

The first time around I let hbd battery drain to zero and then charged it . Since then it's been fine. I am now at 20 hours with 43%

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Got this last night, thought it was pretty good. Was texting a lot, lots of facebook and browsing but I was in a great signal area so full bars all night. Auto-brightness is on as well, with the battery saving tweaks applied.

2cr0i2x.png

Last edited:

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Upgraded to 6.1 on my iPhone 4. Can report no change in battery life. However Facebook Messenger doesn't give me any notifications anymore :S

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
For the guys who are complaining about their battery life...have you tried the battery tips and tweaks to really improve your battery life? There are plenty of things that could improve your battery life

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
For the guys who are complaining about their battery life...have you tried the battery tips and tweaks to really improve your battery life? There are plenty of things that could improve your battery life

Like what,turning off notifications and brightness and things like that?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Like what,turning off notifications and brightness and things like that?

Limiting ad tracking, disabling diagnostic news sent to Apple, set email push/fetch to one hour or beyond, etc

Having GPS and other radios off when not needed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.