Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Ok well I guess we really don't know. Someone stated before Apple does not release its numbers, and this article says Samsung does not either so I guess we have no idea. My original post was talking about all of Samsung and Apple which I guess makes things grey not white and black. So I think if we look at just one phone against the other things become more clear and a lot closer. Sure Apple has record launch sales each year which leads to great sales, but I think the s3 has gained power over the year with more and more people hearing and trying it out. I think Samsung and android have come a long away over the past 2 or 3 years, and it is starting to show. That is why I think Apple better starting thinking about the future rather than the next year and half of slowly adding new features to the iPhone. By these number it looks like that might not be a plan that is going to keep you on top.

----------

I tried this argument in another thread it does not work, and it just cause problems. Let them believe what they want to believe. I am more in the middle and see our great ios and android are. One is stronger in areas that the other is not.

Apple does release numbers - it sold 47.8 million iPhones in Q4 2012.

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/library/2013/01/23Apple-Reports-Record-Results.html

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Apple does release numbers - it sold 47.8 million iPhones in Q4 2012.

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/library/2013/01/23Apple-Reports-Record-Results.html

Ok good for them. Now lets see what Samsung did with the s3. I am not sure we can. But you did miss my point about things being closer and that Apple's "slow and steady" philosophy does not give them much future beyond what the next year and half. Android is closing fast with each phone and android update getting better and better. Apple does not seem to be moving that fast. I think that could be a bad thing in say late 2014 when android could be rock solid and iOS 8 stills looks like iOS 6 with some much needed features.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Ok good for them. Now lets see what Samsung did with the s3. I am not sure we can. But you did miss my point about things being closer and that Apple's "slow and steady" philosophy does not give them much future beyond what the next year and half. Android is closing fast with each phone and android update getting better and better. Apple does not seem to be moving that fast. I think that could be a bad thing in say late 2014 when android could be rock solid and iOS 8 stills looks like iOS 6 with some much needed features.

I didn't miss it, I just chose not to respond because your claims are baseless.

Apple just had their best quarter ever in terms of sales, and people choose NOW to say that they must be in trouble. That's absolutely ludicrous and makes no sense. It's not even worth my time responding. So unless you come up with a decent point this is the last time I'll reply.

Read this:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...re-crumbles/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13598194982082

People are ALWAYS saying Apple is in trouble and quite simply, it is not. Multiple companies can be successful. One doesn't have to die for another to succeed.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I didn't miss it, I just chose not to respond because your claims are baseless.

Apple just had their best quarter ever in terms of sales, and people choose NOW to say that they must be in trouble. That's absolutely ludicrous and makes no sense. It's not even worth my time responding. So unless you come up with a decent point this is the last time I'll reply.

Read this:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...re-crumbles/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13598194982082

People are ALWAYS saying Apple is in trouble and quite simply, it is not. Multiple companies can be successful. One doesn't have to die for another to succeed.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4404974/Apple-reportedly-cuts-iPhone-5-production-plans2

So this means nothing? Oh wait you are going to say that is could be for any number of reasons. All they did was cut screen orders that could be for any number of reason. Well please enlighten me as to why else they would cut orders please? That is how I can claim Apple might need some new ideas.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4404974/Apple-reportedly-cuts-iPhone-5-production-plans2

So this means nothing? Oh wait you are going to say that is could be for any number of reasons. All they did was cut screen orders that could be for any number of reason. Well please enlighten me as to why else they would cut orders please? That is how I can claim Apple might need some new ideas.

I'll bite seeing as you made a new point :p

Reduced component orders does not necessarily mean reduced demand. They could be ordering new components from other sources.. who knows?

Reduced demand is only one of several explanations.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I'll bite seeing as you made a new point :p

Reduced component orders does not necessarily mean reduced demand. They could be ordering new components from other sources.. who knows?

Reduced demand is only one of several explanations.

This is what is so great about diehard Apple or android fans. Everything I mean everything has an answer for it. I mean earlier you discounted what all tech blogs had to say and now the WSJ says the demand is down and now they may be wrong, but yet you seem to be right and Apple has to be doing better than everyone else. Well why are your websites not coming into question that is because if you show me your site the first thing that comes into my head is not to say "oh that could not possible be true". Why can't it just be that maybe the iphone 5 is not doing as well as you or many others think? Why why why do you think the iphone is the best always. At some point all successful companies runs at the top come to an end this may be the start for Apple.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
This is what is so great about diehard Apple or android fans. Everything I mean everything has an answer for it. I mean earlier you discounted what all tech blogs had to say and now the WSJ says the demand is down and now they may be wrong, but yet you seem to be right and Apple has to be doing better than everyone else. Well why are your websites not coming into question that is because if you show me your site the first thing that comes into my head is not to say "oh that could not possible be true". Why can't it just be that maybe the iphone 5 is not doing as well as you or many others think? Why why why do you think the iphone is the best always. At some point all successful companies runs at the top come to an end this may be the start for Apple.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235104578241051730364998.html

Wall Street's story comes from "people familiar with the situation" (i.e. could be absolutely anybody), whereas the story we've been posting about in this thread comes from a statistics company. Big difference.

I'm not a die hard fan of anybody.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235104578241051730364998.html

Wall Street's story comes from "people familiar with the situation" (i.e. could be absolutely anybody), whereas the story we've been posting about in this thread comes from a statistics company. Big difference.

I'm not a die hard fan of anybody.

Well it sure seems that way to me. Ever single website I have posted has come into question. The site you put up about how it was shipping units not sales who the crap are they? Also they told me nothing other than other sites might be wrong. They gave not evidence that of what the really story was. Next time give a link I will look for every single lose end there might be with it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Well it sure seems that way to me. Ever single website I have posted has come into question. The site you put up about how it was shipping units not sales who the crap are they? Also they told me nothing other than other sites might be wrong. They gave not evidence that of what the really story was. Next time give a link I will look for every single lose end there might be with it.

They were merely commenting on the fact that Strategy Analytics were talking about units SHIPPED, not SOLD.

Units SHIPPED includes all of the handsets sitting on store shelves. Units SOLD includes only handsets actually bought by an end user.

They said that the S3 outSOLD the iPhone in the title of their press release, but then continued to talk about SHIPPED units for the remainder of it.

These are two different things and they weren't very clear about which they were talking about.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
"iFans" are not a single entity.

Perhaps you're missing the point, or are unaware of the massive contingency of iFans.

They are indeed, a single distinct group of Apple followers / worshipers that were originally nurtured by "Steve". However the good news is, in his absence their strength is waning.

As the "magic fades" and Apple has no choice but to compete without their once master pitch man, they will have to stand on their own in the cold light of day. Sans the smoke & mirrors hype & God like leader of the past, they'll actually be better off.

This year with the likely assault... a plethora of amazing new smartphones soon to be released, Apple will be forced to quit resting on their laurels & deliver better products in the smartphone space.

If they respond to this kick in the ass, all of us true Apple enthusiasts will be the first to celebrate :)

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
They were merely commenting on the fact that Strategy Analytics were talking about units SHIPPED, not SOLD.

Units SHIPPED includes all of the handsets sitting on store shelves. Units SOLD includes only handsets actually bought by an end user.

They said that the S3 outSOLD the iPhone in the title of their press release, but then continued to talk about SHIPPED units for the remainder of it.

These are two different things and they weren't very clear about which they were talking about.

Ok well there is not evidence to support that units sold were not more than the iphone either right?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
What?

My point is that even if Samsung did sell more S3s than IPhones (something I'm yet to see any evidence of), that doesn't mean that Apple is in trouble.

No maybe not in trouble, but might need to be worried a bit. Why would the S3 have sold more? I am just saying Samsung might be gaining ground.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
No maybe not in trouble, but might need to be worried a bit. Why would the S3 have sold more? I am just saying Samsung might be gaining ground.

Who knows? I don't think Apple has released iPhone 5 sales figures. Until they do, we can only guess. However if the latest news is to be believed (which comes from the same company that said the S3 outsold the iPhone 4S in Q3 2012) then one would think it's the iPhone that is gaining in popularity rather than Samsung, given that its just overtaken Samsung for the first time since 2008.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Who knows? I don't think Apple has released iPhone 5 sales figures. Until they do, we can only guess. However if the latest news is to be believed (which comes from the same company that said the S3 outsold the iPhone 4S in Q3 2012) then one would think it's the iPhone that is gaining in popularity rather than Samsung, given that its just overtaken Samsung for the first time since 2008.

Ok well thanks for successfully ruining my thread. I was not here to argue which phone sold more or less or anything. I wanted to discuss how Apple could improve and why thought they need to. You wanted to come on here and prove how successful Apple is and how great they are.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Ok well thanks for successfully ruining my thread. I was not here to argue which phone sold more or less or anything. I wanted to discuss how Apple could improve and why thought they need to. You wanted to come on here and prove how successful Apple is and how great they are.

You asked what they had to do to get back on top when, depending on how you look at it, they are already on top.

If you had asked how they could improve I would've responded differently.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
You asked what they had to do to get back on top when, depending on how you look at it, they are already on top.

If you had asked how they could improve I would've responded differently.

Open your eyes and see that the US is not the only country in the world. In every other country, Apple has tanking market share and is only a bit player.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Open your eyes and see that the US is not the only country in the world. In every other country, Apple has tanking market share and is only a bit player.

I'm well aware that the US is not the only country in the world considering I don't even live there!

I said "depending on how you look at it" - they are still more profitable than any of the Android handset makers. Samsung leads in worldwide market share; no argument with that.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

Proof? And no not that graph that you posted about Asia that proved nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.