Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Fair enough. Just to be clear, I'm not as much talking about the effectiveness of one ad versus another than I am about the statement their ads are making. It just seems like Apple has nothing new to showoff, whereas Samsung does, and that says something.

I'm not going to argue with that because you're spot on. Apple advertises the features it thinks people will care about, and the noise-cancelling microphone is an obvious one. Being able to use Siri and talk on the phone in a noisy environment is something that can benefit absolutely everybody; not just the proportion of people that have a use for that feature like, say, Android Beam.

Likewise with the advert about getting smaller; nearly every major smartphone manufacturer has joined the thin race because people want thinner and thinner phones. Advertising that feature is just good advertising sense.

Samsung may well be showing off new features but they're arguably not as useful as the ones that Apple is showing off.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
That's not the point. The point is that you can just simply put the phone on the mat instead of having to fiddle with the plug.

----------

You do realize that you can use the regular style chargers just fine on phone with wireless charging.

But how is it an improvement over just plugging in the phone?

----------

It's a convenience feature. As are many features. I don't see how it's not considered a selling point. It opens up another option to charge your phone. It's not like it's the only way to charge.

And it's the first step to what could be possible down the road. Imagine one day when walking into the right room in your home will start charging the phone, whether it's on a charger pad or in your pocket. Imagine the day when walking into your home means your phone starts charging. Imagine the day when walking into a "WiFi/Charge" area, like say a Starbucks or a cafe or whatever, means your phone begins charging.

Technology, baby.

So why not do that? Hold off on rushing it to market so it can be done right?!?

I don't want new features for their own sake. I want a new feature to either fix a problem or do something better than the options available. Wireless charging, as currently implemented, does neither of these, so for me it's not a selling point.

----------

You only need to plug the mat in once.

Not arguing that it's hard to plug in the USB. Just saying.

You still have to plug in the mat more than once if you ever wanted to, oh, I don't know, charge the phone in a different room? Take your mat with you to charge your phone with you on vacation or a business trip?!?

It's an immature offering.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm not going to argue with that because you're spot on. Apple advertises the features it thinks people will care about, and the noise-cancelling microphone is an obvious one. Being able to use Siri and talk on the phone in a noisy environment is something that can benefit absolutely everybody; not just the proportion of people that have a use for that feature like, say, Android Beam.

Likewise with the advert about getting smaller; nearly every major smartphone manufacturer has joined the thin race because people want thinner and thinner phones. Advertising that feature is just good advertising sense.

Samsung may well be showing off new features but they're arguably not as useful as the ones that Apple is showing off.

The noise cancellation that reviewers can't notice is any better then on previous iPhones or other phones?

Only people that notice it are the people it gives dizziness and headaches to.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4382704?start=0&tstart=0

I'm not just knocking Apple. I'm not impressed with any features Samsung advertises either.

Shared photo stream seemed good in theory but in practice I'd rather have android beam. I still just text pictures to friends and family when they are in the same room even though the majority of my friends and family have iPhones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The noise cancellation that reviewers can't notice is any better then on previous iPhones or other phones?

Only people that notice it are the people it gives dizziness and headaches to.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4382704?start=0&tstart=0

I'm not just knocking Apple. I'm not impressed with any features Samsung advertises either.

Shared photo stream seemed good in theory but in practice I'd rather have android beam. I still just text pictures to friends and family when they are in the same room even though the majority of my friends and family have iPhones.

Apple have probably overblown the benefits of it (what company doesn't? :p) but at least they're choosing the right ones to advertise.

Shared photo stream mainly benefits groups IMO. If it's just one or two people, then sending by message is just as fast, but if there's like ten people with access to a shared stream, it's obviously quicker to just put photos there.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You still have to plug in the mat more than once if you ever wanted to, oh, I don't know, charge the phone in a different room? Take your mat with you to charge your phone with you on vacation or a business trip?!?

I think they make these things called cables that can charge phones too.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
http://i1.cdnds.net/12/38/618x973/tech_samsung_apple_1.jpg

Samsung just advertises those can't-live-without features like Tilt to Zoom, Palm Swipe Capture, Palm Touch Mute Pause and Shake to Update.

You act like Apple is the only company that advertises little features.
I actually love palm swipe screen capture. I use it just about every day. I took screenshots with my iPhone nearly every day too, but it was without question more inconvenient.

It's not about features that every single person wants, likes, or will use. Sometimes it is about having enough features that, out of all of them, there is something everyone wants, likes, or will use.

In the case of the iPhone, it simply stopped having enough features to please me in light of what the competition was offerring. For those who stayed with it or like it; the features still meet their needs.

So wireless charging is just one more thing in the feature list. Of course it will be advertised; at least until it is either common-place or falls by the wayside (either is possible, I think).

Michael

----------

Apple have probably overblown the benefits of it (what company doesn't? :p) but at least they're choosing the right ones to advertise.
Well they are doing something else with the noise cancellation thing: setting up a (bogus) reason the iPhone 4S/iPad 3 will not get the new-and-improved Siri II. :D

Michael

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
This is where you're going wrong. Remember most android or windows phones are all different sizes, and there's no standard dock that you can buy for them. And yes, a dock is probably almost just as convenient, but if you can't get a dock, saying it has wireless charging is just as good.

Think of it as "plop and charge". The iPhone has (had) docks, android and windows phones have Qi.

This is exactly why I think apple does a better job advertising. Samsung tout features that make them unique but no one really cares about because they will 95% of the time never be used.

Apple work on advertising what people will ACTUALLY use. They promote the everyday application of features and don't clutter the device with **** that you won't use.

----------

I actually love palm swipe screen capture. I use it just about every day. I took screenshots with my iPhone nearly every day too, but it was without question more inconvenient.

It's not about features that every single person wants, likes, or will use. Sometimes it is about having enough features that, out of all of them, there is something everyone wants, likes, or will use.

In the case of the iPhone, it simply stopped having enough features to please me in light of what the competition was offerring. For those who stayed with it or like it; the features still meet their needs.

So wireless charging is just one more thing in the feature list. Of course it will be advertised; at least until it is either common-place or falls by the wayside (either is possible, I think).

Michael

----------

Well they are doing something else with the noise cancellation thing: setting up a (bogus) reason the iPhone 4S/iPad 3 will not get the new-and-improved Siri II. :D

Michael

I don't see why it's hard to understand. OP is just saying it shouldn't be a main selling point.

It's a nice little feature but not a game changer that will make people want to switch from s3 to s4. Or even s2 to s4.

When people see this feature they will say cool. But meh I can live without it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Michael

You love it, great, but I'm sure you'll agree that it wouldn't be very high on most people's list of priorities. Better voice quality is something EVERYONE can benefit from, hence why I think it's a good thing to advertise, even if it's not new in general, just new to the iPhone.

Michael

Possibly :p

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I think they make these things called cables that can charge phones too.

Which means that if we still have to point back to the "old technology" to perform normally expected tasks that people do every day, the new technology isn't ready to replace it.

If I were going to use wireless charging, I would expect something like either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi radios built into a normal wall wart (making it necessarily larger), but that, within a certain range (hopefully up to 30 feet for BT or 100 feet for Wifi) can charge by proximity, not by touch, or by coming within 1.5 inches.

That would be an innovative and really useful device that doesn't require us to jump through hoops to use it.

It would just work. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

You really don't understand how technology works, do you? Hey, why didn't the first TV makers hold off on releasing analog televisions? Should've just waited for the technology to mature to HD and digital versions!

At this current time, the competition is releasing technology faster than Apple. It's sad that it's hurting people's pride so much.

Pray tell, how do you charge your phone in the next room when your charging cable is plugged into one room?

This really isn't hard to get: Wireless charging is an added convenience. It may be useful for certain people, and its their prerogative whether that's a deciding factor or not. No one is saying wireless charging is better for everyone than chord charging nor is anyone taking away chord charging. If Apple was offering wireless charging and the competition wasn't, something tells me these "usability" concerns wouldn't be so major. :rolleyes:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You love it, great, but I'm sure you'll agree that it wouldn't be very high on most people's list of priorities. Better voice quality is something EVERYONE can benefit from, hence why I think it's a good thing to advertise, even if it's not new in general, just new to the iPhone.

Of course not. But something in the features that Samsung's phones are offering will be. And people are buying them.

And let's not forget that not all features appeal to a niche: I don't see how anyone wouldn't use the notification toggles that are standard on Samsung phones. That alone is a key feature to me. Flashlight on my lockscreen. Love that too. I could go on and on. But someone else would be touting things that they like instead... and there is a good chance some of those things are not possible on an iPhone. Ergo, they advertise that.

Michael

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
But how is it an improvement over just plugging in the phone?

----------

I don't want new features for their own sake. I want a new feature to either fix a problem or do something better than the options available. Wireless charging, as currently implemented, does neither of these, so for me it's not a selling point.

----------

No, you can charge the phone with a regular microusb cord as well. You don't have to bring the mat.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I'd only have two wireless charging stations. One at home obviously in my room, and maybe one at work.

Anywhere or anytime else, I'd use a cable to charge. Like if I'm going on vacation, I wouldn't pack the wireless charger mat. I'd just bring a plug. How often do vacations happen? Once, twice, three times a year?

The majority of the time charging my phone would benefit from the convenience of having it wireless. In other words, most of the time at home and/or at work.

If your lifestyle is different (you vacation more, travel for work more, whatever), you can keep charging with the chord like you always have, or continue using a dock like you're used to. None of this changes by adding the ability to wireless charge. Adding -- do people understand the definition of that word?

Like poster Daveathall has been asking, please explain how adding this one extra convenience feature means you lose functionality.

It may not be for you, per se, but it does nothing to harm you that others want/like the feature, except, I guess, your pride that Apple isn't offering it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The benefits of laying your phone on a mat to charge are blatantly obvious. You simply set it on the mat with no concern for orientation. If Apple had chosen to offer this with iPhone 5, it would be front page news as "Revolutionary & Magical" world wide.

After all, the change from a monstrous ugly 30 pin connector to a simple uni-directional connector was hyped as Apple typically does. First they promoted the mind blowing fact that it could be inserted with no regard for which side was up. Next came Apples hype filled label: "Lightning" as though its a world changing development. The connotation being its "Fast". When in reality it's nothing more than a money grab as they charge $30 for a $2.00 adapter patented so as to lock out all but Apples favorite vendors.

But hey, in Appleland it's to be expected, and most definetly no surprise. The good news is if it satisfies their inane need to feel special, then let them chortle all the way to the bank :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You really don't understand how technology works, do you? Hey, why didn't the first TV makers hold off on releasing analog televisions? Should've just waited for the technology to mature to HD and digital versions!

At this current time, the competition is releasing technology faster than Apple. It's sad that it's hurting people's pride so much.

Pray tell, how do you charge your phone in the next room when your charging cable is plugged into one room?

This really isn't hard to get: Wireless charging is an added convenience. It may be useful for certain people, and its their prerogative whether that's a deciding factor or not. No one is saying wireless charging is better for everyone than chord charging nor is anyone taking away chord charging. If Apple was offering wireless charging and the competition wasn't, something tells me these "usability" concerns wouldn't be so major. :rolleyes:

I agree with your last point....and to add a charging mat is just a wall charger with the added convenience of not plugging in the device. They are the something....chargers....

Not everyone uses there phone while its plugged in, I rarely need to except when driving (Bluetooth of course). When I do at home I use a portable charger so I'm not tethered to a wall.

ryvasuhy.jpg

Whose to say future improved "mats" won't come out that act like a dock using android beam or something to stream music or whatever.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Of course not. But something in the features that Samsung's phones are offering will be. And people are buying them.

And let's not forget that not all features appeal to a niche: I don't see how anyone wouldn't use the notification toggles that are standard on Samsung phones. That alone is a key feature to me. Flashlight on my lockscreen. Love that too. I could go on and on. But someone else would be touting things that they like instead... and there is a good chance some of those things are not possible on an iPhone. Ergo, they advertise that.

Michael

True, true.

This whole back and forth commenting started because someone said it was silly to advertise features that have existed in other smartphones for years. I simply said I think it makes more sense to advertise a feature that already existed that most people will use, than to advertise a niche feature simply because its new.

I stand by that :p

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I agree with your last point....and to add a charging mat is just a wall charger with the added convenience of not plugging in the device. They are the something....chargers....

Not everyone uses there phone while its plugged in, I rarely need to except when driving (Bluetooth of course). When I do at home I use a portable charger so I'm not tethered to a wall.

Whose to say future improved "mats" won't come out that act like a dock using android beam or something to stream music or whatever.

The orb would allow you to charge and use it too. I'd even argue it's better than a dock cause you don't actually have to plug/unplug it, and it's angled better than most docks I've seen. There's a 'back' to the thing so you can press as hard as you want. With docks, I feel you have to be careful not to knock the phone over.

LG-Nexus-4-Wireless-Charging-Orb-01.jpg

google-charging-orb.jpg

nexus-4-orb-wireless.jpg

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Why is wireless charging considered a selling point?

The orb would allow you to charge and use it too. I'd even argue it's better than a dock cause you don't actually have to plug/unplug it, and it's angled better than most docks I've seen. There's a 'back' to the thing so you can press as hard as you want. With docks, I feel you have to be careful not to knock the phone over.

I wasn't talking about wireless charging; which I happen to think is excellent.

I agree it's better than a dock too in all but charging speed.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
True, true.

This whole back and forth commenting started because someone said it was silly to advertise features that have existed in other smartphones for years. I simply said I think it makes more sense to advertise a feature that already existed that most people will use, than to advertise a niche feature simply because its new.

I stand by that :p

Don't go into advertising. ;) Differentiating oneself from the competition is a very effective marketing strategy. In fact, it's often sought after. "How do we let people know we're better, that we have more to offer than the competition?" This is marketing 101.

Maybe Samsung doesn't have to show people it can do panoramic pictures, has noise cancellation, or is thinner because those things should be a given with smartphones these days. Why would they not talk about the special features they're offering that the competition isn't? There's no question they're playing catchup to Apple in terms of brand recognition. This is the way to do it. To inform people you are offering more.

You see Apple as informing the public of basic functions; I see it as Apple not having any new cards to play.

----------

I wasn't talking about wireless charging; which I happen to think is excellent.

I agree it's better than a dock too in all but charging speed.

Mattye, sorry. I meant to quote Cynics back there with those photos. It's edited to reflect that. My mistake.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Don't go into advertising. ;) Differentiating oneself from the competition is a very effective marketing strategy. In fact, it's often sought after. "How do we let people know we're better, that we have more to offer than the competition?" This is marketing 101.

Maybe Samsung doesn't have to show people it can do panoramic pictures, has noise cancellation, or is thinner because those things should be a given with smartphones these days. Why would they not talk about the special features they're offering that the competition isn't? There's no question they're playing catchup to Apple in terms of brand recognition. This is the way to do it. To inform people you are offering more.

You see Apple as informing the public of basic functions; I see it as Apple not having any new cards to play.

No I think he got it right. Most people out there were not even aware of the "old" features that other devices already had.

Apple focus their efforts on usability and everyday application where Samsung clutter their ads with tons of features no one uses or cares about. Nothing game changing.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

This is a thread about whether or not wireless charging as it exists is a selling point on phones that are available now. The answer for me and others is "no". It's no more convenient than those induction mats were that were for sale a couple years back.

It isn't about Apple, despite how much you try to make it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This is a thread about whether or not wireless charging as it exists is a selling point on phones that are available now. The answer for me and others is "no". It's no more convenient than those induction mats were that were for sale a couple years back.

It isn't about Apple, despite how much you try to make it.

Fair enough.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Apple differentiates themselves by focusing on user experience and making their device simple to use, rather than by packing in the latest features and hardware.

Apple automatically has an advantage as far as being different is concerned, given that the iPhone doesn't run Android like THOUSANDS of other phones :p

Didn't Samsung show off Android Beam in an ad? (Something that lots of other smartphones have?) If they showed off S-Beam most people wouldn't know the difference :p

And showing off a feature like direct call is silly when there's a call button in the message window anyway. That did make me laugh a little bit. Talk about technology overkill.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
After all, the change from a monstrous ugly 30 pin connector to a simple uni-directional connector was hyped as Apple typically does. First they promoted the mind blowing fact that it could be inserted with no regard for which side was up.

Just like Micro-USB, that can be plugged in either way, that's on hundreds of Android ph....oh, wait.

Nevermind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.