Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Hi!

Is the screw the same as in a macbook retina? A 3.1mm T5 Torx?
If yes where can i buy the screw set (part no?) for macbook retina?

THX!

Well it is the same card slot so I would have thought it was the same size screw. I would like to know whre to find one also. All I have found so far is mixed bags of Apple laptop screws.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Mine is 1TB Fusion Drive, so it comes with apple sata custom conector and the blade ssd is the 128GB from samsung (check the pics), i dont think we can fix the owc drive, perhaps they (owc) will fix it soon, but since i got the aura envoy pro, i will use it as external drive.

I already ordered a 256GB oem retina blade ssd to join with my samsung 840 pro 512GB for raid install, i will publish more info when done.

Happy Hacking does a 3.1mm T5 screw sound right for you in terms of what is required to hold the blade ssd in place? I have been doing some searching and there are a lot of companies selling overpriced screws so its now merely down to picking out the right one. I think for me the 256 blade ssd is the best option, apparently it is also quicker than the 128 imac one.

Looks like your fitting out your machine with pritty killer spec's, thought I don't think you can create a raid array with unequally sized drives, worth A try thought.

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Happy Hacking does a 3.1mm T5 screw sound right for you in terms of what is required to hold the blade ssd in place? I have been doing some searching and there are a lot of companies selling overpriced screws so its now merely down to picking out the right one. I think for me the 256 blade ssd is the best option, apparently it is also quicker than the 128 imac one.

Looks like your fitting out your machine with pritty killer spec's, thought I don't think you can create a raid array with unequally sized drives, worth A try thought.

Hi, hmmm i have absolutly no idea on screw size, but you can always pick a bag with various sizes from home depot, even you can have an idea from the pictures i posted, and i dont think the screw is very necesary since the blade ssd fits perfectly.

About my imac, im trying to build a raid 0, i think its perfectly possible, i know many ppl that own this configurations, the fusion drive on my personal oppinion its pretty lame, speed is good enough for most of users, but this is a expensive machine sp why not to use the best ssd available, instead some kind of ssd simulation.

I'll leave this advice to the other users that still dont have this iMac, buy the 27" model with 8GB RAM, the i7 processor, the GTX 680MX, and 1 TB drive. Then replace RAM with 32 GB Kingston low latency low voltage dimms and the Samsung 840 pro instead the HDD (This is not very hard to do in the end).

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
That's fine for someone who will be okay waiting a month. I had that config on order but don't regret getting the same machine with the fusion drive. For my uses the fusion compares favorably to the pure SSD I had put in my last iMac.

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
I'll leave this advice to the other users that still dont have this iMac, buy the 27" model with 8GB RAM, the i7 processor, the GTX 680MX, and 1 TB drive. Then replace RAM with 32 GB Kingston low latency low voltage dimms and the Samsung 840 pro instead the HDD (This is not very hard to do in the end).

Good advice. This is exactly what I'm doing.

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Sorry for this quick off topic. Do you think this ram is going to work perfectly as well? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I think they will work, but i definitly recommend you this ones:

Kingston Technology HyperX Plug n Play 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM 1.35V Notebook Memory KHX16LS9P1K2/16

This are the best RAM modules you will find for the iMac, they are Low Voltage (1.35v) and are pretty fast with a cass latency of 9 (CL9). I own this ones and they worked perfectly with iMac, and they passed apple hardware test.

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL

Kingston Technology HyperX Plug n Play 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM 1.35V Notebook Memory KHX16LS9P1K2/16

This are the best RAM modules you will find for the iMac, they are Low Voltage (1.35v) and are pretty fast with a cass latency of 9 (CL9). I own this ones and they worked perfectly with iMac, and they passed apple hardware test.

I have only seen the 1.5V Kingston HyperX PnP. They make a 1.35V?

----------

Actually I just checked that part number on Kingston's website. It's not the HyperX PnP Series with the black cover/label. It's the "LoVo" series with the green.. I checked amazon, and they showed the picture of the HyperX PnP Black label for that part number. So if you order from Amazon, don't expect the HyperX PnP, you're getting the HyperX LoVo.... This is the part number for the Kingston HyperX PnP (with the black label), it's 1.5V, not 1.35V... KHX16S9P1K2/16

This is what part number you listed. You can check for yourself...
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/hyperx/lovo

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Best memory for iMac

Sure: KHX16LS9P1K2/16 (ordered on amazon)

Description: 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM (Kif of 2) 1.35V Low Voltage
Detailed Specifications: Standard 1G X 64 Non-ECC 1600MHz 204-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (DDR3L, 1.35V, CL9, FBGA, Gold)
Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A
Form Factor: Memory Module
Pieces/Unit: 2 (Two 8GB modules, totaling 16GB)
Warranty: Lifetime

PDF Specs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Sure: KHX16LS9P1K2/16

Description: 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM (Kif of 2) 1.35V Low Voltage
Detailed Specifications: Standard 1G X 64 Non-ECC 1600MHz 204-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (DDR3L, 1.35V, CL9, FBGA, Gold)
Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A
Form Factor: Memory Module
Pieces/Unit: 2 (Two 8GB modules, totaling 16GB)
Warranty: Lifetime

PDF Specs

Alright. That's what you were referring to. I assumed you were referring to the black heat sink label where it actually says "PnP" as the RAM model. So have you installed it in your iMac yet? I haven't heard from anyone using the LoVo series, only the 1.5V PnP series..

EDIT: I actually planned on buying the black heat sink PnP series, but now I'm actually thinking of going with the LoVo series. I haven't received my iMac yet, so I don't know what voltage RAM is factory, is it 1.5V or 1.35V?

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012

----------

Actually I just checked that part number on Kingston's website. It's not the HyperX PnP Series with the black cover/label. It's the "LoVo" series with the green.. I checked amazon, and they showed the picture of the HyperX PnP Black label for that part number. So if you order from Amazon, don't expect the HyperX PnP, you're getting the HyperX LoVo.... This is the part number for the Kingston HyperX PnP (with the black label), it's 1.5V, not 1.35V... KHX16S9P1K2/16

This is what part number you listed. You can check for yourself...
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/hyperx/lovo

You are missing the "L": KHX16LS9P1K2/16

----------

Alright. That's what you were referring to. I assumed you were referring to the black heat sink label where it actually says "PnP" as the RAM model. So have you installed it in your iMac yet? I haven't heard from anyone using the LoVo series, only the 1.5V PnP series..

Yeah, i got them working and they passed Apple Hardware Test, i dont think there are better memory modules than this ones (sodimm 1600mhz, 1.35v, CL9)

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
EDIT: I actually planned on buying the black heat sink PnP series, but now I'm actually thinking of going with the LoVo series. I haven't received my iMac yet, so I don't know what voltage RAM is factory, is it 1.5V or 1.35V?

Factory modules are cheap Hynix HMT351S6CFR8C, from specs they appear to be 1.5v, CL11

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 144

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
You are missing the "L": KHX16LS9P1K2/16

No, that's what I noticed. The LoVo series has the "L" in the part number, the regular PnP series doesn't... Now that I think about it, I think they may be the exact same stuff, only the LoVo is low voltage. Hence, the exact same part numbers, other than the L being in the LoVo part number.

----------

Factory modules are cheap Hynix HMT351S6CFR8C, from specs they appear to be 1.5v, CL11

Yeah. I did a google search for the part number listed on the modules in your pictures there and the only thing I can find that refers to voltage is the first link, and it mentions them being 1.5V.

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
If I buy the base 27 and add a apple 256 gb blade like ROG did will the OS combine the drives as a fusion ?

Thank you!

wader

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
Raid 0

Late 2012 iMac 27"... Has anybody successfully managed to create a Raid 0 from an Apple module and a separate 2.5" ssd? From what I gather, a retina mbp blade style ssd will work (thanks R.OG), and I believe they are samsung 830 based, does this mean the 2.5" ssd should also be a Samsung 830, or would a 840 pro work just as well? Does the Apple software raid even care about anything other than capacity?

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Late 2012 iMac 27"... Has anybody successfully managed to create a Raid 0 from an Apple module and a separate 2.5" ssd? From what I gather, a retina mbp blade style ssd will work (thanks R.OG), and I believe they are samsung 830 based, does this mean the 2.5" ssd should also be a Samsung 830, or would a 840 pro work just as well? Does the Apple software raid even care about anything other than capacity?

AAFAIK, none is trying to acomplish this config right now, i already ordered a 256GB oem rmbp blade ssd so i can make a raid with the samsung 840 pro, when i receive it (perhaps for the weekend), i wiil post my findings on doing it.

Apple software RAID doesnt care about hdds or ssds, in fact it could be done over partitions not full disks, but there are some limitations on installing in a raid volume, such as you cant have a recovery partition (at least in theory, i will try to make it manually), you cant use bootcamp assistant (who cares, it can be do manually too) and its impossible to use filevault (i dont use it).

happyhacking

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you!

Do you know of any pix for step by step tear down of the 27"?

No, but its not that hard to do, just order the correct kit from applecomponents (they are listed on previous posts) and use the pizza cutter that comes with that kit, check the video from OWC for 21", it will let you see the basics on breaking the glue and disconecting the 2 cables for lcd screen, once you are inside just unscrew the speaker from HDD side, dont remove it, just move it gently enough to unplug the hdd, then just install the ssd on a 3.5 tray and put it in place of 1TB drive, fix again the speaker, and the lcd screen (with proper strips fom apple components) and you are done. :)

Btw: Te suction cups from owc are pretty useful for taking the lcd apart just in case you can buy them.

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
No, but its not that hard to do, just order the correct kit from applecomponents (they are listed on previous posts) and use the pizza cutter that comes with that kit, check the video from OWC for 21", it will let you see the basics on breaking the glue and disconecting the 2 cables for lcd screen, once you are inside just unscrew the speaker from HDD side, dont remove it, just move it gently enough to unplug the hdd, then just install the ssd on a 3.5 tray and put it in place of 1TB drive, fix again the speaker, and the lcd screen (with proper strips fom apple components) and you are done. :)

Btw: Te suction cups from owc are pretty useful for taking the lcd apart just in case you can buy them.

Thank you.

What if I want to add a apple ssd blade?

wader

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
AAFAIK, none is trying to acomplish this config right now, i already ordered a 256GB oem rmbp blade ssd so i can make a raid with the samsung 840 pro, when i receive it (perhaps for the weekend), i wiil post my findings on doing it.

Apple software RAID doesnt care about hdds or ssds, in fact it could be done over partitions not full disks, but there are some limitations on installing in a raid volume, such as you cant have a recovery partition (at least in theory, i will try to make it manually), you cant use bootcamp assistant (who cares, it can be do manually too) and its impossible to use filevault (i dont use it).

Thanks for the reply happyhacking.. I'll wait to hear how it goes... good luck!

Bitt3rsun

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Netherland
SATA or Thunderbolt

I just ordered a Seagate Thunderbolt STAE128 adapter and a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD. What will be faster: SSD via Thunderbolt connected or via SATA? First I will try via Thunderbolt.

Ppq

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I just ordered a Seagate Thunderbolt STAE128 adapter and a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD. What will be faster: SSD via Thunderbolt connected or via SATA? First I will try via Thunderbolt.

Of course via SATA... Thunderbolt will be much slower...

and... dont forget to check the trim functionality, especially when apple (ML) enables it only for apple ssd drives :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.