Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I have mine set at manual for now. I tried fetch email, but it fetches too often for my taste. So I'm wondering what Push email does and whether its better for me

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Fetch = the phone checks for new emails at set intervals.
Push = new emails are pushed from the server to your phone.

Push uses more battery but you get emails instantly.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I have mine set at manual for now. I tried fetch email, but it fetches too often for my taste. So I'm wondering what Push email does and whether its better for me
Have you adjusted the polling intervals? If pull is too often then push isn't going to help. Your account may or may not even support push.

It's not quite so black and white. Polling intervals will definitely have an impact on which consumes more.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's not quite so black and white. Polling intervals will definitely have an impact on which consumes more.

You are right, but simply having the push notification service listening for updates uses power too - even when none are actually received. I think you'd have to use one of the higher fetch settings to use more power than push!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Well then you don't want push because it wants you to have it immediately, wakes up your phone to receive the data.

Change your fetch interval of leave it to manual.

Unless you get tons of email at once that takes 5+ minutes to download, I'd just leave it manual.

Better yet, switch to webmail, that way no need to download anything.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Fetch = the phone checks for new emails at set intervals.
Push = new emails are pushed from the server to your phone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that depend on how many emails you get? For example, lets say you only received one email in a 1 hour period - If you had fetch set to fetch emails every 10 minutes, wouldn't those 6 fetches use more battery than one push?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that depend on how many emails you get? For example, lets say you only received one email in a 1 hour period - If you had fetch set to fetch emails every 10 minutes, wouldn't those 6 fetches use more battery than one push?

Nope. Push keeps a connection to the server alive for periods of time, which uses more battery than completely disconnecting and then reconnecting briefly to 'fetch' mail at a later stage.

Apple themselves suggest using fetch instead of push to save battery life.

Edit:

Long answer - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1639236?start=0&tstart=0

In practice push usually uses more battery, especially over the mobile network.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.