Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Hey I just found this on hackernews, and thought I would mention it here also.

If you type File:/// in native apps, and many 3rd party apps it will cause the application to crash.
Textedit, spotlight, finder, safari, mail.. even iMessage.

I tried sending an iMessage from my iPhone to my iMac saying File:/// it crashed the iMacs iMessage app. I also can not relaunch the messages app on the iMac as it crashes every time due to that incoming message.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
File:///

That's fairly nasty.
It brings down AppleScript Editor, and Notes, not my browser.

mindlessmissy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Lol ...

I just crashed AppleScriptEditor with this and when I went into Console to see the reason for the crash, Console ALSO crashed ...

:eek::confused::cool:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you type File:/// in native apps, and many 3rd party apps it will cause the application to crash.
So why would you ever find it necessary to type that, anyway?

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "So don't do that!"

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Could you send an iMessage from your iPhone to your Mac saying File:/// and the Mac's iMessage would crash? :D

Yes.. It will crash the recipients iMessage app on the Mac.. It will also make it impossible to open again.
I'm told sending 80 additional messages will cause messages to open again, at which time you can delete the conversation.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hey I just found this on hackernews, and thought I would mention it here also.

Textedit, spotlight, finder, safari, mail...
AFAIK, this does not work on Leopard and Snow Leopard. If this is real, then it is probably a new feature of Lion/Mountain Lion.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Yes.. It will crash the recipients iMessage app on the Mac.. It will also make it impossible to open again.
I'm told sending 80 additional messages will cause messages to open again, at which time you can delete the conversation.

Or, could you just delete that message from an iOS device?

EDIT: I just sent 'FiIe:///' to a group message.

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
AFAIK, this does not work on Leopard and Snow Leopard. If this is real, then it is probably a new feature of Lion/Mountain Lion.

It does not work on SL. When I get home I will fire up one of my PowerPCs and test Leopard, but it's a pretty safe bet that it won't work.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I have no idea why anyone would type that unless it was a mistake but I can say that bug is in 10.8.3 build 12D61 . Lets hope the burgeoning stories about it makes the engineers work with those data sets.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I could see this being used in trolling methods. Hope Apple fixes it soon :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.