Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SigmundJake229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Iowa
Hello, I've been looking around here for a long time. I am happy owner of an iPad 3. Both my wife and I have the iPhone 5. In the evening I find myself on my iPad and I watch my wife on her iPhone. I would like to get an additional iPad for her. She, is not against getting a hand-me-down iPad. So the question is twofold. Should I upgrade my 64 Wi-Fi to an iPad 4 or should I just simply get her an iPad mini 16 GB. She is into Facebook and friends and is not really a power user. I have not been unhappy with my iPad. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Be safe out there

Jake

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My fiancee has said for awhile that she would have no use for an iPad of her own. Well in the past month or so there have been a few times when she asked to borrower mine, but I needed it that day. I surprised her with a 16gb Mini. She was really excited and has started using it for for things she used to do on her phone. (Facebook, Etsy, Pintrest, Messaging, etc.)

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I'd suggest asking her. If she already has an iPhone, she may be satisfied with that. If you got her an iPad and she only rarely used it it your money might be better spend on a nice Coach or J Choo.

Kelcoshows

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Hertfordshire UK
Seriously I could have wrote this post this morning! I have an iPad 3 64gb, we both have iPhone 5's and this morning I got her an white iPad mini 16gb. In the short space of time she's had it I can honestly say she loves it. Prior to this she briefly had my original iPad when I got the iPad 3 but never got on it. So I would say the iPad mini is a good way to go. Having now seen the mini the non retina display really is a non issue as far I'm concerned and if you're thinking about that I wouldn't let it put you off. Hope that helps!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Why assume all women like white?

Because they do ;)

----------

And to the OP, if your iPad3 is fitting your needs well at the moment, buying the Mini for your wife would probably be the best option - Firstly, it's cheaper than buying a new iPad4 for yourself (and giving her your old iPad3) and secondly, she'll probably appreciate a new one more than a used one :)

SigmundJake229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Iowa
Thank you!

I appreciate the help. Here is what we ended up doing.....

I took my bride to the Apple Store inside Best Buy and let her choose. She just turned 40 and preferred the full size IPad cause of the size. so we went with the new 64gb IPad 4 and then wiped the 64gb 3, exchanged covers and she is happier than a clam! Called Apple care to learn about moving applications and files from the 3 to the 4. The process was seamless. All my files, apps and even the wallpaper was identical on the 4. Gotta love Apple products! I wiped the 3 and updated to OS to the newest version for her. Connected it to the network and she is in business! I hope she loves the iPad as much as I do.

Thanks again!

aarif2012

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
Well. Seems our prediction was wrong: not every woman will go for iPad mini. (Though my GF does). Just like Night Spring said, do not assume every woman like ipad in white. (But white will fit more different covers)

ps. No wonder you put the word "wife" in the title :D Your Bride!

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I appreciate the help. Here is what we ended up doing.....

I took my bride to the Apple Store inside Best Buy and let her choose. She just turned 40 and preferred the full size IPad cause of the size. so we went with the new 64gb IPad 4 and then wiped the 64gb 3, exchanged covers and she is happier than a clam! Called Apple care to learn about moving applications and files from the 3 to the 4. The process was seamless. All my files, apps and even the wallpaper was identical on the 4. Gotta love Apple products! I wiped the 3 and updated to OS to the newest version for her. Connected it to the network and she is in business! I hope she loves the iPad as much as I do.

Thanks again!

LOL, you got her a hand me down gift cause you wanted the latest and greatest. Nice.

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
If she is a 'casual' user (just viewing FB, emails, music etc) the Mini is the cheaper choice and she is unlikely to benefit from the 4 unless she wants a bigger screen.

SigmundJake229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Iowa
She preferred the larger screen cause as we all get older, our vision begins to get worse. That, tied with her experience with the small iPhone 5 screen, she wanted the most real estate she could get. With her casual use, it made more sense to give the new IPad to me. I keep my stuff in great shape, the 3 has no scratches and looks brand new!

Now hopefully the ipad 5 stays to the fall, so I can get some use before obsolescence! Thus far I'm seeing minimal upgrade from the 3. It maybe a bit quicker, but hard to tell.

Jake

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
She preferred the larger screen cause as we all get older, our vision begins to get worse. That, tied with her experience with the small iPhone 5 screen, she wanted the most real estate she could get. With her casual use, it made more sense to give the new IPad to me. I keep my stuff in great shape, the 3 has no scratches and looks brand new!

Now hopefully the ipad 5 stays to the fall, so I can get some use before obsolescence! Thus far I'm seeing minimal upgrade from the 3. It maybe a bit quicker, but hard to tell.

Jake

Good job, seems like everyone is a winner!:D

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I actually gave my hubby my 3 and got myself the mini (in black for the record). I really wanted the lighter ipad more than anything.

It sounds a like win, win! I'm glad she's happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.