Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
PS: Since I do not expect any new functionality for the iPad 5 I give it a NO WAY. iPad 4 is already a NoNo for iPad 3 owners. The added speed is not noticeable and the new connector I don't need.

So you're speaking on behalf of all iPad 3 owners or just yourself?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
If it looks and is similar to the iPad mini form factor then:
tumblr_lwfsvluq3S1r3zat8.gif

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Since I do not expect any new functionality for the iPad 5 I give it a NO WAY. iPad 4 is already a NoNo for iPad 3 owners. The added speed is not noticeable and the new connector I don't need.

That all depends on what you do with your iPad. For games, the speed increase is quite noticeable. If you consider the speed increase noticeable between the iPad 2 and the iPad 4, then it's equally noticeable between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 when it comes to CPU tasks, as both the 2 and 3 have identical CPUs. I wasn't sure about the Lightning connector at first, but I really like it. Of course, I don't have a bunch of peripherals I have to rebuy or get adaptors for as this was my first iPad.

To answer the question of the thread, my reaction will be surprise but I will likely feel no urge to try to get one. I do not believe Apple will release an iPad in March, and certainly not one with any significant difference with the 4, so I will be surprised if they release one. My iPad 4 does everything I want it to, and does it well, so I don't see a need to upgrade yet. Just like I'm quite happy with my iPhone 4S, and won't be upgrading until the 5S (or whatever they call it) comes out.

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
How would you react if iPad 5 really was released in March?

We should at this point expect a new product after a new product heres how you deal. don't buy the new iPhone or iPad wait it out and get the next one. I'll probably sell my ip4 on eBay and get the 5 I love that form. If it wasn't thinner and lighter I wouldn't even bother. I'll still have to wait and see what the specs will look like. I wouldn't be shocked if it came with a non retina display, or an older processor .actually ill wait out the initial release of the ip5 and get the one that comes out 3-5 months later

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Why is it unlikely?
Just because the 4th gen has just come out a couple of months back doesn't mean they wont release a new one now. The third and fouth generation iPads are far too heavy. Can't wait to upgrade mine.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm perfectly happy with my 3gen iPad, and find it hard to imagine anything in the 5 that would present a serious improvement to my workflow.

If the mini comes with retina, on the other hand, I'll probably bite.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I've already decided that if the next iPad to come out is lighter, I'm going to get rid of my 32GB 3G and go with a 16GB wifi model. I don't need the storage, I rarely need mobile data and I can tether to my iPhone when I do, but something lighter will be good.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I would be excited if it made some relevant improvements and changes.

Other than that, just another day. Someone out there will be happy or pissed no matter what.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Of course I would shrug. (mandatory)

Then I would buy one.

Honestly my iPad 4 is way too heavy.

They need to make the iPad 5 jump lightness-wise relatively what the iPhone 5 was to the iPhone 4.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
That all depends on what you do with your iPad. For games, the speed increase is quite noticeable. If you consider the speed increase noticeable between the iPad 2 and the iPad 4, then it's equally noticeable between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 when it comes to CPU tasks, as both the 2 and 3 have identical CPUs. I wasn't sure about the Lightning connector at first, but I really like it. Of course, I don't have a bunch of peripherals I have to rebuy or get adaptors for as this was my first iPad.

To answer the question of the thread, my reaction will be surprise but I will likely feel no urge to try to get one. I do not believe Apple will release an iPad in March, and certainly not one with any significant difference with the 4, so I will be surprised if they release one. My iPad 4 does everything I want it to, and does it well, so I don't see a need to upgrade yet. Just like I'm quite happy with my iPhone 4S, and won't be upgrading until the 5S (or whatever they call it) comes out.

I don't do games. iPad 1 had a problem to play 720 width movies. iPad 3 plays them fine. With iPad 3 I have no speed issues. Between iPad 2 and 3 Apple added Siri - never used that. iPad 4 is basically a carbon copy of iPad 3, and has no added whatever for me in it. Weight I don't care about either. So what is left? Just because Apple has a new product ain't enough for me.

...but the next Galaxy Note 10.? Will get a serious look. The S Pen adds serious productivity to the Samsung iPad. Note 10.1 seems a bit old now and I rather wait a little.....

One page earlier a user suggested the Adonit stylus. Went out right away and bought one. It will certainly make drawing on the iPad easier.

Since its unlikely that Apple will add any smart stylus to the next iPad I am unlikely to buy any other Apple iPad.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I'm waiting for an iPad with same screen size but slimmer smaller form factor along theme of mini. If that is released I would upgrade.

Bojan

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago
This thread was funny as hell.

I wouldn't care for iPad 5, but iPad mini with retina is a whole different story...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I don't do games. iPad 1 had a problem to play 720 width movies. iPad 3 plays them fine. With iPad 3 I have no speed issues. Between iPad 2 and 3 Apple added Siri - never used that. iPad 4 is basically a carbon copy of iPad 3, and has no added whatever for me in it. Weight I don't care about either. So what is left? Just because Apple has a new product ain't enough for me.

First off, I'm not implying by any means that the iPad 3 (or 2 or 1) is worthless on terms of performance. But saying that the 4 is a carbon copy of the 3 is a gross understatement. The 4 has a significantly faster CPU, and the GPU is an even greater improvement. The front camera is HD as well. If those features don't do anything for you, that's fine, but it doesn't mean they aren't there.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'd still wait several months to see what doesn't work on it.

I never get the first production run of anything.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Unless it has soma major screen improvement over my iPad 2 (read: less reflections and better screen readability in sunlight) I will most likely just shrug. Really, the 2nd iteration still works fine for me. If only screen reflections weren't so bad...

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
I am relatively new to the iPad getting my first, an iPad 4 last November. Having had every iPhone since the 3GS (which my wife now uses), I won't be rushing out to buy the latest iPad any time soon. This baby rocks. Yes, it is not the lightest tablet on the market, but that doesn't bother me one bit. In one respect I think Apple made a mistake making the iPhone 5 so light. It lacks the 'quality feeling' that the heavier iPhone 4s had. The Retina display and speed is fantastic.
I simple cannot justify spending any money on a new model when this is superb and will be for some time yet..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.